collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to Washington  (Read 4573 times)

Offline ckr117

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to Washington
« on: August 25, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, as well as Washington. I moved here about this time last year, so I didn't do any hunting... However this year I will be. I'm currently on Whidbey Island and was going to settle with hunting on island.... But being from New Mexico, I have to stick with my spot-and-stalk style for modern lol. I've scouted Teanaway a bit, unfortunately I only have a car up here so my access is limited. Does any one have any advice/ places I should check into? Anything is greatly appreciated!

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
Re: New to Washington
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
Welcome to the site and good luck. I'm sure there will be plenty of help from the members on here but in the meantime you can do some searches for specific info you're looking for and get a feel for HuntWA. There's a bunch of good people on here so have fun and enjoy.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the areas in which you're interested. I'm sure some of the great members on this site will give you some direction of one sort or another. Best of luck.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:57:43 AM »
You're living on an island with one of the greatest populations of Blacktail Deer in the NW.  I suggest you get to know some of the farmer or landowners up there and find some access hunt the bush.   

Avoid the mass hunter migration to the east.  Save time, save money, save gas.  Have fun!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »
You're living on an island with one of the greatest populations of Blacktail Deer in the NW.  I suggest you get to know some of the farmer or landowners up there and find some access hunt the bush.   

Avoid the mass hunter migration to the east.  Save time, save money, save gas.  Have fun!

:yeah:

Whidbey is huge, and holds a lot of very nice blacktail deer.  Most of it is private property, however.  And, there are a lot of service personnel attached to the air station, so you have double difficulty in competing against a lot of others who will be knocking on doors.  However, this is your best bet.  Very few mainlanders will come over to the island to try to hunt (unless they already have access).  Get out there, knock on some doors, talk to folks.  I agree with F&F, don't join the eastern hunter migration, but stay at home. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline ckr117

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 03:34:18 PM »
You guys will probably shun me for what I'm about to say, but I have a spot here on Whidbey and have multiple pics of 2 nice bucks on a buddy's trail cam a few different times. It's an easy bag, but it's just not my kind of hunting. I'm not big for sitting in a blind. I like getting out and hiking, glassing hillsides and stalking my kill. I'll leave them for someone else, I know with the lack of public land and the abundance of hunters someone will come across them. I'm open to ideas outside of teanaway also, anywhere in the state honestly. Thanks for all the input so far!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
Sounds like you should have stayed in New Mexico.   :chuckle: :chuckle:

Just kidding of course.  Welcome to WA and the cold and windy island of Whidbey.  Hold onto your hat!  I've got no help for fulfilling your hunting desires.  Shouldn't be be too hard to locate just what you're looking for on the East side.  Good luck!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:19:29 PM »
You guys will probably shun me for what I'm about to say, but I have a spot here on Whidbey and have multiple pics of 2 nice bucks on a buddy's trail cam a few different times. It's an easy bag, but it's just not my kind of hunting. I'm not big for sitting in a blind. I like getting out and hiking, glassing hillsides and stalking my kill. I'll leave them for someone else, I know with the lack of public land and the abundance of hunters someone will come across them. I'm open to ideas outside of teanaway also, anywhere in the state honestly. Thanks for all the input so far!

Checkout the Mule Deer high hunt seasons in the Chelan areas.  I believe they are in Sept and it will be as close to NM as you will get. 

Any chance you lived around unit 53 in NM?  I pulled a elk tag there this year. 

Your style of hunting lends itself to Eastern WA and with just a little research you can easily get away from people especially since it sounds like you have no issues hiking in a few miles from a road.

It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 05:35:44 PM »

No problem, follow your heart whenever it may lead.  With your deer tag, you can hunt statewide.  Go east and give the mules a shot.  If you don't fill your modern rifle tag on the east side, you will still have several days to try on the island.  Give blacktail hunting a shot; it is not a slam dunk.

Offline caliborn

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:45 PM »
I too am hunting WA for the first time this year (bow) and my dad has been there for a short time meaning a couple months and hasnt had time to scout actual areas and doesnt know the state all that well. Dad lives on whidbey and we both have multi season permits for deer. Im headed out thanksgiving week and the following any suggestions? 

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »
I too am hunting WA for the first time this year (bow) and my dad has been there for a short time meaning a couple months and hasnt had time to scout actual areas and doesnt know the state all that well. Dad lives on whidbey and we both have multi season permits for deer. Im headed out thanksgiving week and the following any suggestions?

You have the multi-season and are heading out Thanksgiving week?  The season opens for you in 7 days---get out there now!  That's my suggestion.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »
PD - I may be wrong, but I think he lives out of state.  I assumed he was in school somewhere, or lives with his mom -some unusual situation anyway.  Hard to give advice to someone starting their hunting season around Thanksgiving. 

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
PD - I may be wrong, but I think he lives out of state.  I assumed he was in school somewhere, or lives with his mom -some unusual situation anyway.  Hard to give advice to someone starting their hunting season around Thanksgiving.

I see.  If so, I retract my suggestion.  Obviously, you can't hunt here until you come here.  Thanks for the chiding, I need it from time to time.   :P

Offline caliborn

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 07:09:27 AM »
In reality its more like that is when I could get the time off from work to go . Thanks though

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 07:36:44 AM »
Ha!  My bad!    Perhaps try a private message the guy who started this thread.  See if he knows anywhere you can hunt on Whidbey with your dad.  The next island north of there, Fidalgo Island, also has a great population of deer.  You just need to find access, as there is little or no public land.

Check out the GO HUNT interactive mapping feature on the WDFW Hunting pages.  You can easily identify public lands.  There are many, many options out in Skagit, Stilliguamish, and Diablo Units if you head E. from Whidbey.  Coyle and Olympic Units are just a ferry ride west.  Go explore.

Sorry about sidetracking the thread.  Back to the spot and stalk quest.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:47:27 AM by fishnfur »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]