collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Flying bullets, target-shooters’ trash rile Greenwater residents  (Read 5613 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Flying bullets, target-shooters’ trash rile Greenwater residents
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 08:43:26 AM »
I will not go near some of these areas any longer after having witnessed the combination of heavy alcohol consumption & firearms.

I think that quite a few of these individuals shoot at one particular spot I know of because they cannot get plastered at a gun club and start blasting away.  And I do mean plastered. 

I bet that the same ones who are getting drunk off their butts make up the bulk of those making and leaving the messes.   

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »
Well I am a NF shooter in Skagit County. I like to go to remote gravel areas and shoot a little. I pick up and fill up a trash bag or two.  The problem up here is two fold. There is shooting garbage and just dumping. 

I know forest roads that have wheel barrels of dirty diapers dumped on them.

Some of this could be alleviated if some sites were picked and maintained for shooters. Not everyone wants to go to a heavy regulated range.

I have  new shotgun to pattern today. No place at Plantation Range for tat activity. So I will drive up in the hills find a spot and shot a box or less.

It will keep happening until all officials recognize shooting as a valid recreational activity and start developing sites for it. 
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ElaphusElatus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 07:28:42 PM »
The FS openings up the 70 Rd and Boundary Cr were created to maintain elk forage as a result of the Huckleberry Land Exchange in the early 2000's. The disgusting mess and nonstop shooting seems to be an unintended result of creating the openings. It is unlikely that the areas are coming anywhere close to meeting their intended objective. Any elk using the area may be ingesting lead. Elk and deer hunters shooting in the area should understand the purpose of the openings, the other folks will do what they want and leave a mess. Sure, people shoot elsewhere, the obvious mess and resident complaints seems to be related to these recent clearcuts. It is a shame that the FS quits cutting and locks up forest to protect a few old growth species, does something good to try to help ungulates, and then that effort is compromised.

Greenwater elk forage project details:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=5614

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »
I've been to that site twice this year.

It is utterly disgusting.......    People leave all kinds of crap after shooting holes in it.

Terrible behavior.

Sadly, I'm sure it will get shut down because some people are such pigs.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 08:51:36 PM »
It's amazing how for certain individuals, ANYTHING remotely critical of firearms is a liberal conspiracy.  The reality is that there are plenty of firearm owners and users that are disrespectful unsafe slobs that most of us don't want to be associated with. 

I guess pointing that out will make me a liberal gun hating conspiracy creating anti everything...

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 09:35:37 PM »
Hating litter where ever it is shouldn't be an idealogical question.

Offline netcoyote

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »
The FS openings up the 70 Rd and Boundary Cr were created to maintain elk forage as a result of the Huckleberry Land Exchange in the early 2000's. The disgusting mess and nonstop shooting seems to be an unintended result of creating the openings. It is unlikely that the areas are coming anywhere close to meeting their intended objective. Any elk using the area may be ingesting lead. Elk and deer hunters shooting in the area should understand the purpose of the openings, the other folks will do what they want and leave a mess. Sure, people shoot elsewhere, the obvious mess and resident complaints seems to be related to these recent clearcuts. It is a shame that the FS quits cutting and locks up forest to protect a few old growth species, does something good to try to help ungulates, and then that effort is compromised.

Greenwater elk forage project details:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=5614

I'd be careful with a statement like "Any elk using the area may be ingesting lead." Liberals pick up on a statement like that and run with it, regardless of the facts. What would be the mechanics of lead ingestion? Do you have any scientific analysis to back that statement? Just the mere presence of lead on the ground does not mean ingestion is imminent. It occurs with waterfowl due to their actions of feeding off the bottom of lowland areas. Elk forage live plants. Are you basing it on lead being absorbed in vegetation? Any proof of that?
Not making a statement because I know one way or the other, but I know we have to be careful about making unscientific statements, that end up being used against us.
"...t'aint never a thing wrong with a man such that the mountains can't cure."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand