collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sidehilling tips?  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Hectocotylus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Sidehilling tips?
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:15:57 PM »
Wonder if anyone has great advice on how to side hill any distance comfortably. I have microspikes which are awesome, but after not too long the feet start to hurt pretty good. Any wisdom is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Sidehilling tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »
Your feet hurt ? Or ankles ?

Are you on ice ?  Why the micro spikes ?

What boots do you have ??

Offline Hectocotylus

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:27:58 PM »
Feet and ankles. Hill is too steep to walk without hanging onto stuff. So microspikes so I don't slide down at all. Keane hiking boots

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
Odds are pretty good that your Keen's don't have a stiff enough shank (aka insert) in the boot and this is allowing your foot and ankle to roll when side hilling.  I prefer a trekking/mountaineering style boot for steep country side hilling.  Think something along the lines of a Crispi Idaho, Lowa Ranger, TiCam, Camino, or Tibet.  I wear the Rangers in some very steep country and they serve me well. 

Boot construction will affect lateral support much more than a taller boot will.  I'd take an 8" trekker/mountaineering boot anyday over a taller boot that doesn't have the footbed support.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 06:57:45 PM »
Mountaineering boots and trekking poles. :twocents:

Offline Hectocotylus

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 07:07:14 PM »
Odds are pretty good that your Keen's don't have a stiff enough shank (aka insert) in the boot and this is allowing your foot and ankle to roll when side hilling.  I prefer a trekking/mountaineering style boot for steep country side hilling.  Think something along the lines of a Crispi Idaho, Lowa Ranger, TiCam, Camino, or Tibet.  I wear the Rangers in some very steep country and they serve me well. 

Boot construction will affect lateral support much more than a taller boot will.  I'd take an 8" trekker/mountaineering boot anyday over a taller boot that doesn't have the footbed support.
Ya boots could be improved for sure. I had my rifle in my hand so no free hands for poles.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 07:14:47 PM »
I bought Asolo GTXs because I spend most of my hunting side hilling.
Most boots are no way stiff enough in the shank to side hill for extended periods.

http://www.asolo-usa.com/radion-gtx-mm-night-blue-night-blue.html
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 07:27:13 PM »
While guiding for sheep in Alaska it was the same. Most guys didn't have mountaineering boots and their ankles/feet would be hurting after a few hours. Lots of good boots out there now days. Zamberlans seem to fit me pretty good. I would go to REI where you can try on a few different pairs to see what you like.

Regards, Branden

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »
While guiding for sheep in Alaska it was the same. Most guys didn't have mountaineering boots and their ankles/feet would be hurting after a few hours. Lots of good boots out there now days. Zamberlans seem to fit me pretty good. I would go to REI where you can try on a few different pairs to see what you like.

Regards, Branden

Ya that!

REI has a few great boot fitters.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »
Lose weight and increase fitness. I also do foot, ankle and toe exercises while sitting at my desk which really helps.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »
It's the keens.  I found that out the hard way  :bdid:

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
Start hiking trail/crosscountry more in the least amount of ankle support your ankles can handle....start building up the ankle & foot muscles....also throw in which ever new pair of stiff boots ya buy from time to time....ideally come next year youl have strong ankles/feet and even stronger boots...this works well for me

Hope this helps

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »

^This^

For steep sidehill you need a stiff platform under your foot that remains flat and level even when only one side of the sole is edged into the slope,  rather than twisting and torqueing.  Boots good for extended sidehilling are too stiff and non-flexing for ideal hiking on a trail, but they are fabulous off trail.  A rule of thumb is that if the boot is stiff enough to accept crampons, it will be good for sidehill, talus, etc. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal