collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Does certain camo really matter  (Read 20899 times)

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Does certain camo really matter
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
Camp definitely helps.like others have said movement is a killer but good camo let's you get away with more movement they think they see something  and if you're camoed up you have a better chance of them looking right thru you
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 03:29:18 PM »

If you had a bull at 5 yards, wold you still pick a solid ?? Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have in regards to the camo in my opinion
Mountain lions are a fairly solid color, and they seem to get within 5 yards to elk. :dunno:

Then use a solid  :tup:

Or wear a cougar costume... :dunno:  Spirit Superstore must have something that will work...

Seems like the only way to go once you look at things from a scientific approach
You disappoint me, somebody brings up a cougar costume and you and put up a "G" rated photo like that? No sir, I have my dignity. If I'm dressing like a cougar it's a mini skirt and fish nets. It'd give me the benefit of others hunters not crowding me and giving me plenty of room.

I like ASAT myself but I mostly have discount King's camo. I was playing devils advocate in favor of solids.

Type in "cougar costume" on Google and youl see my options... it was tempting :chuckle:

:tup:

Offline Yondering

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
Black clothing has the "Scary Grim Reaper Effect" on game.  It's a well documented phenomenon.

LOL, well put! That's exactly how the deer acted that saw me in my black overalls!

I guess the scythe I was hunting with might have put them off a little too, should I go with a bead blasted stainless finish on that next time, or hydro-dip camo?

Offline cumminsbassguy

• Hunter
  • Groups: Spokane Bass Club
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
Jeez guys.  I didn't think I would be deer hunting in a cougar costume ..    makes sense though. Haha.  In that video I watched..  what ever makes you hunt better . Wear it.    I'll probably get the outfitter camo just for the heck of it

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 05:53:16 PM »
Jeez guys.  I didn't think I would be deer hunting in a cougar costume ..    makes sense though. Haha.  In that video I watched..  what ever makes you hunt better . Wear it.    I'll probably get the outfitter camo just for the heck of it

If you can get a Cougar pattern in Wolf, you'd be unstoppable.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »

If you can get a Cougar pattern in Wolf, you'd be unstoppable.

The antis wouldn't mess with you either....   :rolleyes:   :chuckle:

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 06:39:04 AM »

I think the Outfitter camo is a good choice.  I was all set to buy it when I saw the O2 Octane and decided to go with that.  I hunt both sage country in Montana and the deep dark timber on the West side and the colors just seemed more in tune with those situations, but I really like the Guide camo and may still buy some.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
Last year on an archery hunt here in ca I woke up to a very unexpected mountain rainstorm.  All I had for rain gear in my truck was an emergency set of blue frog toggs.   I put them on and hit the trail.  An hour later I got to 74 yards (ranged) from a fork blacktail.  I did slip the rain gear off at that point and finished the stalk to a distance of 17 yards with a solid green fleece jacket before putting an arrow in him.   Tell me again how important the latest and greatest camo is...

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2016, 11:12:32 AM »
I own a fair amount of camo, but I'm pretty realistic as I did not for years.  My first several turkeys and archery deer (spot and stalk) were taken wearing a yellow on green John Deere ball cap, brown buffalo plaid quilted shirtjac, and a grayish green pair of Patagonia rock climbing pants - as a very poor college student, actual hunting clothes weren't an option, except for the legally mandated hunter orange for rifle.  My hunting time seems to be inverse to the quality of gear I own.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 11:49:54 AM »
Last year on an archery hunt here in ca I woke up to a very unexpected mountain rainstorm.  All I had for rain gear in my truck was an emergency set of blue frog toggs.   I put them on and hit the trail.  An hour later I got to 74 yards (ranged) from a fork blacktail.  I did slip the rain gear off at that point and finished the stalk to a distance of 17 yards with a solid green fleece jacket before putting an arrow in him.   Tell me again how important the latest and greatest camo is...

Heavy rain makes great camo.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2016, 11:51:34 AM »
I ve killed a lot of deer while I was wearing blue jeans.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »

Heavy rain makes great camo.

So does high winds....
Just tend your own and live.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2016, 12:30:27 PM »
I've spent a bit of money on Camo, but not for the pattern as much as the material and engineering.

The way I like to hunt I prefer light weight and water proof, yet still quiet and breathable.  The pattern/color is not as big a deal to me.
Coming from the Snowboard/ski industry I knew exactly what I was comfortable in for long, cold, wet days, that can instantly turn into long dry warm days. 

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2016, 10:06:45 PM »
 :(expensive camo makes all the difference for the post kill photos .  really I look for quiet comfortable  camo with pants that allow high steping . I really like the kuiu pants . I don't wear gloves offten I want my hands natural face the same use your bow to cover your face .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
You should watch the optifade you tube videos called the science of nothing .
Very interesting on the way deer see things and the experts that helped come up with the pattern
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10