collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gun wont group UPDATED: GOT GROUPS  (Read 12384 times)

Offline Stickerbush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Gun wont group UPDATED: GOT GROUPS
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:03:25 AM »
Hey all,

The last few times at the range I find that I cant get my .308 to group very well out to 100 yards. I start at 50 and it seems pretty good but out to 100 its all over the place. I put about 20-30 rounds down range Sunday and I fell like that should be enough to get it sighted in. Not really an experienced shooter but pretty sure I wasn't flinching or jerking the thing. And I was shooting of a good rest. With my seasons getting dangerously close not sure what to do at this point
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:12:48 PM by Stickerbush »
Coastal Perspective.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Gun wont group
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 05:17:08 AM »
Try a different ammo. Specifically the weight of bullet.
Do you know what twist your barrel is?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:46:49 AM »
Check your sights/scope mounts etc.  make sure everything is tight.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »
Something is moving I bet.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »
Can you describe your group?  Is it completely scattered or is it just mostly up/down, or mostly left/right?

What is your group size at 50 yards?  Is there any consistency there?  Like slightly up/down, or slightly left/right?

Curtis
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:42:09 AM by ctwiggs1 »

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:57:20 AM »
No offense to shooter intended.  Have a friend see if he gets same issue.  Are you resting the barrel on the bag?

Did you do any recent maintenance that had the action out of the stock or scope mounts affected?

If it previously grouped with the same load, and no maintenance, I'd check shooter first, action and scope fasteners tight, then look for things like scope failing.

You might also check for copper fouling if you haven't ever/recently given it a good scrub.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:06:23 AM »
The last few times at the range I find that I cant get my .308 to group very well out to 100 yards.
“The last few times” implies that at one time the rifle shot well. What changed since the gun shot well? What is the group size at 100 yards?
I start at 50 and it seems pretty good but out to 100 its all over the place
With a telescopic sight a 100 yard group should be approximately twice the size of a 50 yard group. If not, that suggests the shooter is responsible.
I put about 20-30 rounds down range Sunday
How much time do you allow between groups for the barrel to cool?
Not really an experienced shooter but pretty sure I wasn't flinching or jerking the thing.
Take another person, and go through the “ball and dummy” exercise. Have your friend load the rifle for you, and hand it to you to shoot. One time, he does not load the rifle. If you flinch on an empty chamber it will be obvious.

If the gun did indeed shoot well at one point, the most likely causes are a loose screw in the rings or bases. If that is not the cause, check the barrel bedding. Is it supposed to be free floated? If so run a dollar bill between the stock and barrel to see if they touch at any point. If they do that’s your probable culprit.

If everything checks out and the gun still doesn’t shoot, buy another one. Life’s too short to hunt with poorly shooting equipment.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:42:25 AM »
I had a 30-06 that did not like boat tails, regular spire point was great. As stated above, check everything, make sure it is tight. Make a three shot group and let the barrel cool down so you don't feel any warmth, your barrel isn't hot when you're hunting, right? Another thing, I clean my barrel every ten shots or so to take fouling out of the equation.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 08:57:53 AM »
As has been said by others, check your scope mounts, and make sure the action is seated properly. I've had those bolts come loose spontaneously.

Based on the number of rounds you're saying you shot, heat could very well be an issue. My 7 mag is pretty good to 10 shots and then starts wandering, my 7mm-08 Mountain Rifle is good to 3 or 4 shots and then has rest 5 minutes between shots, the barrel just gets to hot and they start wandering.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Stickerbush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:57:22 AM »
The group at 100 didn't seem to have any consistency, just scattered all over the place. I haven't shot the rifle much over the last few years but when I first got it the rifle had good groups at 100.

The mounts are tight but at one time I remember they did get loose. So maybe they are not staying tight? I tried to wait a few minutes between shots, but heat could be possible.

I'm gonna probably take another range day having made sure everything is tight. I'm also going to try to bring some different ammo, while allowing plenty of time between shots. I'll do the flinch test as well, but I did have a buddy shoot it and it still seemed off. Someone at a gun shop told me it has a 1 in 10 twist. I was using 180 grain federals
Coastal Perspective.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
You haven't said what your group size is, but a reasonable expectation for a modern rifle is that it should consistently shoot three shots groups of 2" or smaller at 100 yards.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 10:23:19 AM »
I seem to recall some discussion by another person that 180s did not group well out of his .308 rifle.  I personally shoot 165 Nosler Partition and Accurbod handloads with decent groups out of a hunting rifle profiled barrel (Ruger All Weather).  Perhaps consider giving 165s a try if you are buying new ammo.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
What rifle are you shooting and what optics do you have mounted to it.  I have one .308 that only like 150 grain bullets and others that love 165/168.  Could be the ammo...could be the scope is lose...could be the shooter.....ect. ect. ect.  If it were me, I would confirm the scope is secure first.  Then I would clean the bore to make sure I didn't have any copper fowling.  After that I would try a few different ammo choices.  If you still don't have good groups, I would consider trying the rifle with a different scope.  Could be the scope has lose internal components.  Hope this helps....lots of ways to trouble shoot this problem.  All of which are very valid and will give you plenty of trigger time.   :tup:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
I shoot 150s for deer, bear, and elk through my .308.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
What rifle are you shooting and what optics do you have mounted to it.  I have one .308 that only like 150 grain bullets and others that love 165/168.  Could be the ammo...could be the scope is lose...could be the shooter.....ect. ect. ect.  If it were me, I would confirm the scope is secure first.  Then I would clean the bore to make sure I didn't have any copper fowling.  After that I would try a few different ammo choices.  If you still don't have good groups, I would consider trying the rifle with a different scope.  Could be the scope has lose internal components.  Hope this helps....lots of ways to trouble shoot this problem.  All of which are very valid and will give you plenty of trigger time.   :tup:

This too, I just remembered when I was young I shot my Grandpas .270 and this happened to me. Very frustrating.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]