collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: After the Kill??  (Read 3146 times)

Offline CamanoArcher4-2016

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • 757 S Commodore Ln
After the Kill??
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:55:14 AM »
Ive been wondering how people deal with their animal once its down... obv you have to tag the animal and get it chopped up. People always talk about quartering and deboning. My question is, if you debone the animal, how do you leave proof of sex and whatnot. I would think people would generally quarter it for transport then debone and butcher at home...but i havent had such success myself.

anyways, what do others like to do when they have to transport the meat out of the woods, id be happy to consider any methods...

Online 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: After the Kill??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »
Use the search function on here, and you will find ALL the information you've ever wanted on this topic.

Tons of opinions on this and it will vary depending on your situation (physical ability, distance from vehicle, terrain between you and vehicle, what you have for a pack, etc...)

I personally have switched to the gutless method where I bone/quarter all the meat off the carcass, put in game bags, and pack out. If I'm super close to my rig, I would consider just field dressing and bringing it out whole, but that rarely happens for me.

You can easily leave proof of sex when boning out or quartering, just don't cut the nut sack off. It doesn't have to be attached to all pieces of meat, just the largest portion which is the hind quarters.

Here are a couple of great videos to watch on the gutless method. They have helped me.

I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline CamanoArcher4-2016

• Pilgrim
    • 757 S Commodore Ln
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
thanks! appreciate it, im still learning to remember you can search on this internet machine... :o

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:30:04 AM »
If it's a deer I have always tagged it ,gutted it and drug it it out, I have killed a couple blacktail that I had to cut in half but I have never boned a deer out, elk well as long as you have the head with it then I guess it doesn't matter how you whack it up, debone or whatever, best thing to do is do what's easiest for you :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »
Good questions.  They show a refreshing willingness to learn and widen your breadth of knowledge.  Go for it.  The replies already are good and looks like I duplicated some of what was posted while I composed.

Why bone out an animal?

1.  Reduce weight and bulk for ease of carry when a long ways or over difficult ground from vehicle.  I have boned out and backpacked bucks up to 7.5 miles and 5,000 feet elevation from a vehicle.  I also boned out a buck 200 yards above a road when the intervening hillside was covered with deadfall.

2.  Reduce bulk and eliminate discard scraps, for ease of transport in a limited space and no problem disposing of bones, tallow, hide etc. in a city. 

Do what is easiest from the point where the animal drops.  Last Fall I shot a buck 50 level yards from a road, hung him to gut and skin, and carried the quarters to my vehicle.   

Evidence of sex on a boned out animal:  Split the scrotum and leave a testicle attached to each boned out hindquarter for evidence of sex.  Do both because once out of their sack, they do their best to detach and if you accidentally cut/pull one loose, you still have a second chance.  Place the hindquarter with testicle side up in whatever meat sack etc. that you transport it.  That way if an officer wants to check, evidence of sex is immediately available without searching, and visible as soon as the meat sack or cooler opens. 

If evidence of species is needed leave the tail attached to one boned out hind quarter.  Put a plastic bag over the tail and tie it off to keep hair from getting on the meat.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:55:27 PM »
I bone em out and don't leave proof of sex attached. I have the head and if enforcement wants to check, I can show that the meat is from one deer.
Every now and then, somebody shoots a doe with antlers. So what's the point of leaving the nuts attached?

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:59:51 AM »
thanks! appreciate it, im still learning to remember you can search on this internet machine... :o
welcome to the site too
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 05:24:23 AM »
I bone em out and don't leave proof of sex attached. I have the head and if enforcement wants to check, I can show that the meat is from one deer.
Every now and then, somebody shoots a doe with antlers. So what's the point of leaving the nuts attached?

Mostly because it's the law, if you cut the head off.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU