collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Finally pulled trigger on Alaknak  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Finally pulled trigger on Alaknak
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:39:07 AM »
Finally ordered a 12x20 Alaknak with the floor liner and roof protector. They had a deal where it came with two cots along with purchase so I couldn't pass it up. Wasn't sure how long the deal was on for. Stoked to set it up. Thanks for the advice from other happy Alaknak owners! 

question:

What type of stove pipe will I need for a 4 dog stove? He only sells 5 inch pipe and I'm not sure if that will work or not. There's an option for pipe set straight or pipe set end wall. Not sure what the difference is. Thanks...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:50:45 AM by Duckslayer89 »

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Finally pulled trigger on Alaknak
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:18:58 AM »
I've eyed them for awhile. Nice purchase. Let us know how it works for you

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 06:43:28 AM »
Finally ordered a 12x20 Alaknak with the floor liner and roof protector. They had a deal where it came with two cots along with purchase so I couldn't pass it up. Wasn't sure how long the deal was on for. Stoked to set it up. Thanks for the advice from other happy Alaknak owners! 

question:

What type of stove pipe will I need for a 4 dog stove? He only sells 5 inch pipe and I'm not sure if that will work or not. There's an option for pipe set straight or pipe set end wall. Not sure what the difference is. Thanks...
5 in is the size the you need for the tent.  :tup: You will want the straight up pipe for your tent. I will say that I put 2 90's in my pipe so I could move the stove a little farther away from the wall. I have never had a problem, just made me feel a little more comfortable.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »

question:

5 in is the size the you need for the tent.  :tup: You will want the straight up pipe for your tent. I will say that I put 2 90's in my pipe so I could move the stove a little farther away from the wall. I have never had a problem, just made me feel a little more comfortable.
we go with a straight pipe as well, but have no 90's.  It burns really nice and have had no problems, you definitely want the bigger pipe.  congrats on your purchase, you'll love it, especially when you have to put it away wet.  No mold issues and much, much lighter than a canvas tent, you should still cover it all with a big tarp to help with condensation and heat retention.  You will love it.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:04:54 AM »
Lets pack that thing behind a walk in gate in hancock and stay the entire late muzzy!!! :tup: :chuckle:

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 07:07:55 AM »
Good choice, I love mine! Are you going to get a vestibule? They really add a ton of covered room, worth the money imho.

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 07:16:18 AM »

question:

we go with a straight pipe as well, but have no 90's.  It burns really nice and have had no problems, you definitely want the bigger pipe.  congrats on your purchase, you'll love it, especially when you have to put it away wet.  No mold issues and much, much lighter than a canvas tent, you should still cover it all with a big tarp to help with condensation and heat retention.  You will love it.
:yeah: Also good advice.
Good choice, I love mine! Are you going to get a vestibule? They really add a ton of covered room, worth the money imho.
I have one on each end and is really nice for storing boots, coolers, etc. We have also used them for extra sleeping room when needed.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 11:30:23 AM »

question:

Ok sweet I will order the straight pipe set up then maybe add the 90s later. Was thinking about putting a piece of plywood down on the floor for the stove to sit on as well.

I'm not sure it was a toss up between the 12x12 with a vestibule or the 12x20 without one, now I'm thinking I should just order it since you guys all like yours!

Lets pack that thing behind a walk in gate in hancock and stay the entire late muzzy!!! :tup: :chuckle:

I'm totally down! When are they going to open that place back up?! Killing me sticking around town while there is bears to hunt

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:54:21 AM »
The alaknak is a purchase you v will never regret.  I added a 20' roll of carpet to mine, and it makes it extra cozy.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 12:23:10 PM »
The alaknak is a purchase you v will never regret.  I added a 20' roll of carpet to mine, and it makes it extra cozy.

I like that idea! Do you guys lay a tarp down before setting the tent up? Thought it might protect the floor from rocks and stuff

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 12:38:45 PM »

I like that idea! Do you guys lay a tarp down before setting the tent up? Thought it might protect the floor from rocks and stuff
we don't, I think that floor cover works good enough.  We put a piece of hardy plank plywood down under the fire place, found it on a job site in a scrap pile.  Works great, and you do want to put something down.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »

question:

Install a damper in the pipe as well.  Made a world of difference in burn time and it no longer sounds like a jet engine sucking in air to fuel a raging fire.  Cost was under $10 online for a legit iron stove pipe damper.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Online Apples

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
I too own an Alaknak, mine is a 12x12 sleeps three very comfortably and 4 if you use bunk bed cots, the tent has been great would recommend it for anybody!

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »

I personally do use one because during hunting season the weather isn't always the best, and I hate rolling up a tent covered in mud on the bottom.

Offline Wingin it

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »
I too have an Alaknak, a 12x20. Get the vestibule, it is well worth the money. Agree that a tarp is a good addition for retaining heat. I also have a run of carpet from one end to the other down the middle. It makes it pretty nice when getting up to stoke the fire, etc. You will love your tent! Get the hangers Cabelas sells for the center poles. They are great for hanging a lantern or wet jackets to dry.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]