collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2016 deer post them here  (Read 359685 times)

Offline Watimberghost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: 2016 deer post them here
« Reply #945 on: February 02, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »
Absolute stud buck! Love the masd :tup:

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #946 on: February 02, 2017, 07:23:28 PM »
How come you don't have a whole thread with the story on that bad boy? I would love to know more.

Offline Threebyfour

• Tracker
  • Here they come to snuff the rooster,,, oh yeah.
« Reply #947 on: February 03, 2017, 06:20:14 AM »
I can do that Jp. Let me go do 8 hours for the man and I will type up something. I did learn a lot on this guy, more to come.
Never give up, he will show up.

Offline Threebyfour

• Tracker
« Reply #948 on: February 03, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
so it goes like this, after4 days of crawling around in rock slide country with no buck sightings  I decided to head to an area that I've been trying to learn for the past 6 or so years, this area gets little pressure due to the fact that the entire canyon is covered with heavy thick timber. I had been looking at it on google earth and found an old grade {decommissioned} that I never knew was there on the other side of the canyon, so to the end of the road I went, found a place to cross the swampy bottom and crick then shortly found the grade that paralleled the road I had driven in on. there was around 4 inches of snow on the ground and in no time I across a set of large deer tracks and proceeded to follow. well within a 100 yards another set of large tracks joined in, and through out the 4 1/2 miles I followed many other tracks joined and left but these two travelers were on a down hill mission. Soon I started to run out of snow and it was around noon so I decided to find a spot to cut across the draw given it was starting to become very steep on both sides and wouldn't you guess,, the two travelers decided that was a good spot also from the direction the tracks were headed , while going through the bottom I lost snow and tracks all together. And admit lost focus after attempting to go across the crick on a slippery log and getting crazy wet in the process. picked myself back up shook it off and started to head up hill to get to the road I had driven in on to slog the 5 miles back to the rig. not quite to the road yet I hear that tell tale  " thump thump thump" and think well there they go. then I crest a small ridge and something catches my eye.... there stand two large deer staring at me within 40 yards! like a newbie I raise up the binos to look at points and dropped them immediately as the lead buck steps over the crest of the ridge they are standing on. its now i raise my .300 wsm and let fly with a 165 grain nosler  the buck disappears over the edge and I drop my pack and head up the ridge as fast as I can and behold the buck I had shot at is bedded down at the base of a small tree, one shot to the neck finishes the job , I still had no clue of the size of this guy, man was I excited!  short drag to the road. then an excruciating 5 mile hike back to the truck . what a day.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #949 on: February 03, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
Awesome story and buck. Good work :tup:

Offline Threebyfour

• Tracker
« Reply #950 on: February 03, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
Thanks brother.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #951 on: February 03, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
Great buck Threebyfour! :tup:
Thanks for sharing the story too!
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #952 on: February 03, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
Maybe I'll try falling in a creek next year... Thanks for the write up.

Offline Harbor_hunter

• Scout
« Reply #953 on: February 03, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
Awesome buck!

Offline Thenewguy

• Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #954 on: February 03, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
My Montana Buck

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #955 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:07 PM »
Sweet buck new guy

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #956 on: February 03, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »
so it goes like this, after4 days of crawling around in rock slide country with no buck sightings  I decided to head to an area that I've been trying to learn for the past 6 or so years, this area gets little pressure due to the fact that the entire canyon is covered with heavy thick timber. I had been looking at it on google earth and found an old grade {decommissioned} that I never knew was there on the other side of the canyon, so to the end of the road I went, found a place to cross the swampy bottom and crick then shortly found the grade that paralleled the road I had driven in on. there was around 4 inches of snow on the ground and in no time I across a set of large deer tracks and proceeded to follow. well within a 100 yards another set of large tracks joined in, and through out the 4 1/2 miles I followed many other tracks joined and left but these two travelers were on a down hill mission. Soon I started to run out of snow and it was around noon so I decided to find a spot to cut across the draw given it was starting to become very steep on both sides and wouldn't you guess,, the two travelers decided that was a good spot also from the direction the tracks were headed , while going through the bottom I lost snow and tracks all together. And admit lost focus after attempting to go across the crick on a slippery log and getting crazy wet in the process. picked myself back up shook it off and started to head up hill to get to the road I had driven in on to slog the 5 miles back to the rig. not quite to the road yet I hear that tell tale  " thump thump thump" and think well there they go. then I crest a small ridge and something catches my eye.... there stand two large deer staring at me within 40 yards! like a newbie I raise up the binos to look at points and dropped them immediately as the lead buck steps over the crest of the ridge they are standing on. its now i raise my .300 wsm and let fly with a 165 grain nosler  the buck disappears over the edge and I drop my pack and head up the ridge as fast as I can and behold the buck I had shot at is bedded down at the base of a small tree, one shot to the neck finishes the job , I still had no clue of the size of this guy, man was I excited!  short drag to the road. then an excruciating 5 mile hike back to the truck . what a day.

Nice work Threebyfour. I bet your back into that area next year.  :drool:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #957 on: February 04, 2017, 12:13:31 AM »
 :yike: nice Montana buck  :tup:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Threebyfour

• Tracker
« Reply #958 on: February 04, 2017, 07:16:55 AM »
You know it Boss!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #959 on: February 04, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »
Massive!   Congrats on your trophy and thanks for writing it up. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]