collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting updates from me (continues throughout the year)  (Read 16627 times)

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hunting updates from me (continues throughout the year)
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2016, 02:13:16 PM »
I'm really interested in seeing how much help and guidance that Jeremy has had in his young hunting career.  If he is doing this alone with no hunting "mentor", he's even more impressive than I was thinking!  If he is doing it alone, without a family member or mentor, it would be nice if someone close by would help get him engaged with youth hunters and others that can help him along.  He certainly has the drive!

Great job Jeremy! 

Offline HunterofWA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2016, 02:23:22 PM »
I'm really interested in seeing how much help and guidance that Jeremy has had in his young hunting career.  If he is doing this alone with no hunting "mentor", he's even more impressive than I was thinking!  If he is doing it alone, without a family member or mentor, it would be nice if someone close by would help get him engaged with youth hunters and others that can help him along.  He certainly has the drive!

Great job Jeremy!

My older brothers all duck hunt and when I passed hunter's ed at age 8, then I thought deer hunting was the dumbest thing people could think of. So I stuck to duck hunting (and I still do) But any ways how I started deer hunting was because my older brother shot this... and ever since then ( 3 years) I have been hunting black-tails. I've got two down now in 3 years of hunting. So to answer your question, I did have some guidance from my brothers. All the things I've been doing with food plots and deer herd monertering, is new to my family and they don't really get it, so I'm kinda plowing through some new ground in that matter.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:56:12 PM by Huntersofwashington »
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
Me and my family have harvested 5 good deer from this clear-cut over the years and I'm still blessed to be able to hunt it. (for you youtube followers, thats the same place i'm doing my food plots etc...)
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline BGLEMIN

• Hunter
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2016, 04:43:21 PM »
So cool to see that when you thought you were doomed, you stuck with it and found your harvest!! Congratulations young man!!
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2016, 05:05:49 PM »
So cool to see that when you thought you were doomed, you stuck with it and found your harvest!! Congratulations young man!!

:yeah: I'm so happy to have read through the whole thread! Great ending. I seen a pic of your buck from last year  :tup: :tup: great future ahead of you.

Offline djnoodle

• Hunter
  • Eat What You Kill!
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2016, 07:43:57 PM »
Great job Jeremy! Your extra effort made all the difference. We're all so glad to see that you have found your deer and not let it go to waste.

Remember this experience, learn from it, and don't ever doubt whether or not you should be hunting. You should be hunting. (After school, of course.) :tup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
Re: Hunting updates from me (STORY ADDED!)
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2016, 09:08:26 PM »

Alright, here's the story! :)

I'm going to start from the when I got out to the stand on Saturday, 4:00 pm.

I get into the stand, get settled in, the wind is looking good so far and all seems to be coming along good. I turn on the camera to do my interview and then after that I sit tight for the hunt. I turned on an audio book with my Ipod, and sit there for a while. Along while, time flies by and the wind stays steady, blowing the leaves around while I sit and listen. At about 5:00 o'clock, I was starting to feel pretty thirsty, and I was thinking ahead that if I started to get light headed later on and went unconscious... something bad would happen. So I travel on home, (My house Isn't far from where I hunt) grab a water bottle out of the fridge talk to my younger brother about the hunt so far and then head back out to the stand. By the time I get in the stand again I was feeling like I wasn't going to see anything, but every half hour or so, I would slowly stand up in the stand and glass the surrounding area. At about 6:45 I was getting hopeful because this was about the time that the deer had started to show themselves on the Trail cam. I sit there waiting and waiting checking the wind, and glassing the area. At 7:15 I slowly stood up in my stand, to glass the area again, and I stood there for a while. While it was gradually getting darker and darker. At exactly 7:30 I hear a twig snap, It just about scared the living daylights out of me! I look over my left shoulder,(because I was facing backwards looking at the bedding area behind me). As I look down, I see the doe and her fawn tramping out of the clear-cut ten feet from the base of my tree stand right to the wet cob and apples. I was so stunned that she couldn't see me or hadn't smelt me! After I came out of the shock of seeing a deer so close unnoticed, I slowly swung the camera arm around and pushed the record button. Over the space of 3 minutes the deer sat there chowing down there supper and it took me those whole three minutes to grab my bow, clip on the release, and then I waited for the doe to put her head down again so I could pull back the bow. As soon as I did she I slowly pulled the bow to full draw, She instantly jerked her head up and looked in my direction, from the looks of things, it seemed that she knew something wasn't right.  Now was the moment I had been waiting for so long... I took a deep breath, slowly let the air out of my shaking body and squeezed the trigger. Right as I shot, the arrow whizzed through the air and struck the deer low in the gut. The deer took off like the end of the world was at hand, crashing through the ferns while trying to shake off the arrow, but that arrow wasn't going anywhere, it was stuck sure. I watched with mixed feelings as I had seen clearly that it was a really poor shot, but I was still confident that it was enough to bring the doe down. After listening carefully for about 30 second she ran out of ear shot. I sat in the stand for about 10 minutes and then packed up the gear and climbed down the stand to look for a little blood where I shot her. I saw a little blood here and there, but not enough to track. After a little more searching the blood disappeared. I decided that from what I've read about gut shots, that it is a good Idea to wait to search till the next day. I went home and watched the shot hundreds of time in slow-motion trying to decipher the exact location of the shot. After that, I went to bed and decided to wait to search till after church the next day. I slept well to my surprise but I was still not very hopeful that I could find that deer. During the service I was having a hard time paying attention to the sermon because I was getting nervous that I wasn't going to be able to recover the deer. When I got home I decided to check the camera so that I could get the most recent information on what was going on in the area and to see if the deer had showed up or if there was some unusual activity of coyotes in the area. Nothing had showed up that was unusual, the fawn had come and cleaned up the COB a bit. (I think that I'll keep this bait pile going for the sake of the fawn.) After a little more searching I gave up. There was now way I could find that thing, I felt horrible. Anyway I went back to the tree stand to go put the SD card back in the cam, and then walked the roads of the clear-cut feeling very depressed and discouraged. On my way back, I passed the area where I had last seen the deer the evening before, and thought I should give it just one last try. So I started trudging down the slope that goes toward the creek because I have read that gut shot deer get really thirsty and will most likely head toward a water source, and deer usually run down hill. So I keep going down and about half way down the slope, I saw some really scuffed up tracks heading down hill. My heart started pumping. I kept heading down the slope, and I finally reached the bottom. I had seen some more tracks and crushed leaves so I followed a trail through some salmonberry and sword fern. I continued to follow a trail walking about ten feet per minute investigating the area, taking note of every thing that looked like a trail. And after a little while, I saw blood. I mean blood. I was so excited I could hardly believe it! I had just basically walked 150 yards from my stand guessing where I thought a deer might go. I continued down that path making my way into a less thick area and I began seeing a lot more blood. Since I shot the deer on the right side, I knew that when the blood was on the right side of the trail, the deer was heading forward. I continued the search finding a good trail of blood, but then I came to a point where I was literally tracking tiny pin head size drops of blood every 20 feed or so. I was getting doubtful but still praying about every ten feet for the trail to appear again, and then when I was about done thinking it was lost I prayed one last prayer that I would see just one, just one my drop of blood. I looked up and there, 10 FEET IN FRONT OF ME THE DEER WAS PILED UP!!!!  I was so amazed. Just amazed that after all that tracking, I had actually found the deer!!! I slowly walked up to it, jabbed it with my boot, it didn't move so I rolled it over staring at it like it was from heaven. To my amazement the arrow was still stuck in the deer and it looked like it had made a wreck of it's stomach. I dragged the deer to the base of the hill, and ran home to tell my family. My older brother came out and helped me gut it and then we carried home on a pole like the old Indian style. I have to say that it was a miracle that I found that thing and that the deer had already expired. But that's my story I wish all you guys good luck this season! I learned a lot from this hunt and I hope this is a beginning of many more successful bow kills to come!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, it means a lot to me what all you guys and gals have said to encourage and congratulate me.

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »
Jeremy, I am very impressed.  Congratulations on a successful hunt, and kudos to you for studying the ways of the blacktail.  You are well on your way to becoming an expert archer-hunter.

Now, get back to school and ask your teacher about forming paragraphs.   8)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 09:46:25 PM »
Great job Jeremy!  Some luck, and some good thinking on your part about what a wounded deer will do, and of course, being alert and aware of the trail has made this hunt a success!  You kept at it and recovered this deer when many other hunters would have given up and kept on hunting.  You deserve a lot of credit!  Great job and best wishes for lots of success in the future young man!

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »
Congratulations Jeremy, glad you stuck with it. Great story, and pics too.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2016, 11:57:58 PM »
Quite a ride following this thread! Talk about highs and lows! Looks like you gained a lot of experience to build on.

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2016, 07:15:02 AM »
Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:01:31 AM by Huntersofwashington »

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
Re: Hunting updates from me (Video added)
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2016, 05:24:39 PM »
Click on the link in my signature and that will lead to my youtube channel that has the hunt on it. let me know how you guys like the video and tell me what you'd like to see improvements on (other than the shot  :) ) I'm planning on getting a better camera arm for next year.

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2016, 05:32:24 PM »
Nice. Got a little creeky in your stand. Bet you can resolve yhat pretty easy.  I could see that arrow shaking a bit...got my blood going as well waiting for you to draw and loose. Keep it up, i enjoyed watching it.

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
Nice. Got a little creeky in your stand. Bet you can resolve yhat pretty easy.  I could see that arrow shaking a bit...got my blood going as well waiting for you to draw and loose. Keep it up, i enjoyed watching it.

Thanks!

YT | @pnw_offgrid

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand