collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Learning to shoot  (Read 4196 times)

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Learning to shoot
« on: September 16, 2016, 07:50:49 AM »
Related to the other recent topic on duck hunting guides, my fiancé wants to start doing some duck hunting (and who am I to say no?). Unfortunately I am just about the worst shot that has ever existed with a shot gun. Been to the trap range a few times and some days I'm almost competent and some days I don't even put lead in the same zip code.

Boils down to the fact I don't know what the hell I'm doing and it hasn't come natural to me. If I'm going to start hunting ducks, I don't want to just cripple a bunch. Does anyone know of somebody that teaches shooting? Perhaps a site sponsor?

I heard that Red's fly shop has a range and classes and was thinking about taking the boat over w/ the Mrs. and making a weekend of it. We a located in Seattle so would also like to find somewhere closer if possible.

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
Re: Learning to shoot
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:19:11 AM »
I am not on the coast, but call Seattle Skeet and Trap.  I shoot competitive trap and have been to a ton of clubs most of the bigger ones will have some type of instructor or club pro that will give instruction.  If they don't have something they should point you in the right direction

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 08:46:02 AM »
like the guy said above.... Seattle Skeet and Trap and also Kenmore gun range.  I'd say that it wouldn't be hard at all to find someone in the clubhouse to walk around and give pointers.  Same with the Renton range.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »
Get together with a couple buddies and shoot, I mean shoot a lot.  It's not tough to learn but a lot of it is muscle memory and hand eye coordination.

I (we) love Seattle trap and skeet. Shoot there clays range as that is much closer to real life then trap. I shoot a case or more every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:57:02 AM »
Starting hitting the 5-stand, skeet or sporting clays the next few weeks.  That should help you out a bunch.  You can always find help on the range if you ask for it.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »
Prior to the dove opener on September 1st I was at our local skeet range for either two months or a tad longer..... every Thursday night.   I shot low gun so I worked on mounting the gun and re-learning where the clay is in relation to the blurry front of the shotgun.

The previous year I let a lot of doves live because I did not practice.  This year was different.  Only difference was shooting skeet once a week.  Makes a bad shot look respectable.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 01:26:31 PM »
Can not stress enough to new shooters of any firearm is keep both eyes open so you don't stain your eyes and keep depth perception with is very important in the shotgun world.  Here is a video and his barrel cam is close to what it should look like with gun in hand.  I even learned something about different leads and out duck hunting I put both eyes on the bird and follow while drawing.

Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 01:29:30 AM »
Not much help on the instructor search, but as someone who has shot thousands of birds is practice... i shoot very instinctually ( swing through shooter) but i use both eyes open, swing through the bird , and most importantly follow through.. early in the season i find myself stopping the gun at times and causes shooting behind birds which frustrates me but is easily remedied.  My suggestion is shoot a lot, i mean thousands of rounds until it becomes second nature.  Im going through the same thing now with learning how to shoot pistol? Can be frustrating but burn some powder and youll pick it up.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »
Also when shooting trap, a couple of things to keep in mind.  No one cares about your score except you.  Trust me.  I been in some very big shoots and done really bad.  I've have also won a few titles in my class.  The reception I have received is no different.  99% of people only care about gun safety.

The other thing is in trap the bird is always rising.  I shoot competitively, and the guys you see shooting 97's and 100's or practicing Handicap at the 27 yard line, they are shooting trap guns.  They are much different than field guns, I won't bore you with the details but field guns shoot flat (50% of the shot below the point of hold and 50% above) and this will make you miss many more birds vs guys with trap guns.

That said it is still good practice if your goal is to hunt.  My ATA avg is 93ish.  I shoot 2-3 time a week, I'm no Tom Knapp but that is with a trap gun the shoots 70/30 (70% of the shot is higher than point of hold) but before hunting season I will shoot my field guns (50/50) and would be lucky to shoot a 85

Online BLR 243

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 07:28:01 AM »
go find a farm and shoot starlings,clays don't fly like birds do.

Offline Badhabit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 08:52:44 AM »
Find a dairy farm and get permission to shoot pigeons or Eurasian doves. No seasons and no limits and the farmer wants the pests removed.  Win Win

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
collared doves are a good starting point, pretty slow and not to bright if they have not been shot.  Starlings are great targets but fast and smart.  English sparrows are tiny and a great practice bird.  Go buy the cheapest rounds you can find and use them up.  Can you tolerate being out shot by the wife?  Good luck

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Got a name for an instructor from the Renton club. Also, it is very clear from some good shooters on that it comes down to prioritizing practice.

I also have been shooting was one eye, so shooting with two seems like a good place to start. I shoot with one eye for archery and rifle because I just don't really have a clearly dominant eye and it really goofs me up sometimes when I try to shoot quick. I think because there is no scope or peep I won't have that issue.

Love the idea of getting after some doves as practice. Never been dove hunting so I am going to think about any contacts I have in the dairy farming world.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 09:11:36 AM »
collared doves are a good starting point, pretty slow and not to bright if they have not been shot.  Starlings are great targets but fast and smart.  English sparrows are tiny and a great practice bird.  Go buy the cheapest rounds you can find and use them up.  Can you tolerate being out shot by the wife?  Good luck

Yeah I can tolerate being outshot...it has already happened. :chuckle:

She is also better with a rifle (with almost no practice), so the rule is I'm always the spotter and she's the shooting until her tag is filled.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »
http://www.sunnydellshootinggrounds.com/

If you want to make a day of it, Sunnydell Shooting Grounds in Sequim is about the best shotgun training you'll find anywhere. Not sure if he's still doing it, but several years ago I took a 3 hour lesson from Chuck Dryke there. When I left there I could hit anything with a shotgun. Wish I could afford to go back this year for a tune up.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]