collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First light, 2 down  (Read 2684 times)

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
First light, 2 down
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:14:06 AM »
Got to my area about 0530.  Set up one hen decoy in a open area right outside the roost.  Sat in the bushes about 15 yards away.  At 0605 hit the box call once and the trees above me awoke!!  It was awesome.  About 0615 these two unlucky birds flew right down to my decoy, one at a time.  Was done about 0620 and back to the house at 0645.  Birds cleaned, vacuum sealed and in the freezer by 0800.  Will slow cook the legs tomorrow  :drool:

A hen and a jake.  Hit a little low on the hen and almost destroyed the breast beyond recognition.  Going to be sausage anyway.  Good shot on the jake, but he flopped his way into a cow crap filled creek about 5 yards away.

Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: First light, 2 down
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »
When I read the title I thought you were selling 2 firstlite down jackets!😆.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 03:08:22 PM »
Got to my area about 0530.  Set up one hen decoy in a open area right outside the roost.  Sat in the bushes about 15 yards away.  At 0605 hit the box call once and the trees above me awoke!!  It was awesome.  About 0615 these two unlucky birds flew right down to my decoy, one at a time.  Was done about 0620 and back to the house at 0645.  Birds cleaned, vacuum sealed and in the freezer by 0800.  Will slow cook the legs tomorrow  :drool:

A hen and a jake.  Hit a little low on the hen and almost destroyed the breast beyond recognition.  Going to be sausage anyway.  Good shot on the jake, but he flopped his way into a cow crap filled creek about 5 yards away.

Fantastic job!  :bow:

We went out early this morning and were in the wrong area.  I ended up nearly waist deep in the creek.  :chuckle:  Anyway, we finally found a good roosting spot later in the day that we will go back to tomorrow before light.

Mind if I ask what (general) area you hunted?  We are new to turkeys and are learning a lot this year.

Was the decoy a hen?  Considering getting a decoy, but I don't know much about which ones are effective.

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:16:33 AM »
Fantastic job!  :bow:

We went out early this morning and were in the wrong area.  I ended up nearly waist deep in the creek.  :chuckle:  Anyway, we finally found a good roosting spot later in the day that we will go back to tomorrow before light.

Mind if I ask what (general) area you hunted?  We are new to turkeys and are learning a lot this year.

Was the decoy a hen?  Considering getting a decoy, but I don't know much about which ones are effective.

GMU 133.  Decoy was a hen, but to be honest I don't know how much it actually helped.  They were just dropping into that open area anyway so it could have been they didn't even notice it or they may have seen it and thought it was safe to fly down.
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 08:36:20 AM »

GMU 133.  Decoy was a hen, but to be honest I don't know how much it actually helped.  They were just dropping into that open area anyway so it could have been they didn't even notice it or they may have seen it and thought it was safe to fly down.

Thanks.  :)  We were in GMU 154.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan