collapse
Enter by February 22 Experience A Successful Turkey Hunt With Bearpaw Outfitters

Author Topic: First turkey hunt, Newbie story  (Read 5849 times)

Offline jennabug

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: First turkey hunt, Newbie story
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
We had the best day ever yesterday, and I officially feel like a hunter.  My husband and I went to the home of another HW member who has too many turkeys in his neighborhood.  We were utterly shocked at the number of turkeys that were there when we arrived in the morning.  Shocked and slightly giddy, we started with a turkey depredation harvest.  My hands were shaking I was so excited.  We tried to do a "1-2-3-shoot", but I forgot my safety was on.  :chuckle:  :chuckle:  :chuckle:  My husband got the first shot and the flock panic ensued.  Once I figured out the problem and got my first target down, my husband also got his second shot off too.  I pumped for my second shot and the shell from my first shot had stove-piped and failed to eject.   :chuckle: By the time that was corrected, I couldn't catch up with the birds fleeing into the woods. Still, I was satisfied with a well placed neck shot on a nice beardless turkey.  Nick had one that was a neck shot and one that was a body shot.  The one shot on the body was a mess on the inside, so we just saved the legs and breasts and tagged/bagged the rest of the carcass.

Our host (not sure if he wants to self-identify, so I'm keeping him anonymous for now), was amazing.  He not only let us field dress the birds at his place and helped, he also took us out for a while.  We went with him to change memory cards on game cameras, heard lots of great stories, saw lots of property and wildlife.  We tried to call in some coyotes in one area, but they didn't respond.  This was probably my favorite part of the trip... hiking around, observing, hunting.  On our way out of this area we came across a grouse in the road.  So, I hopped out and the grouse flew up into the trees.  As I neared, I saw that there was a huge grouse still on the ground near the road.  I still/only had turkey loads, and had reloaded those.  I took the shot and it looked like a pillow exploded. I really wondered if there would be a body left at all.  Fortunately, I found a gorgeous grouse at the bottom of the embankment.  Eventually we got back to the house and said our thank yous and goodbyes.

On our way home, we stopped to visit my husband's grandmother and gave her the legs/breasts that were already cleaned.  After we got home last night I finished plucking and dressing the two other turkeys and the grouse.  The grouse did have some internal damage, so I ended up just taking the breasts and legs.  But it was definitely a nice sized bird.  Next time we'll be sure to bring some more appropriate shotgun shells for other game. ;)  We're still on a bit of a high from the whole day yesterday, full of gratitude and excitement for our next outing.  Thank you all again for sharing this journey with me.

Offline elkhunter1977

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
Congrats!
Fin,Fur,Feather Taxidermy
Richland, WA
 509-630-8966

Tri-Cities NWTF Chapter President

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 12:57:40 PM »
That's great, congratulations!  Always go for the "sure thing" because often it isn't....   :chuckle:

Also, the next time you get a hen turkey chick, wait to butcher to the second year if you have the space.  We had one that laid 104 eggs as a 1+ year old.  :tup:

Offline jennabug

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 01:30:52 PM »
That's great, congratulations!  Always go for the "sure thing" because often it isn't....   :chuckle:

Also, the next time you get a hen turkey chick, wait to butcher to the second year if you have the space.  We had one that laid 104 eggs as a 1+ year old.  :tup:
Good to know.  We're limited on poultry space in the current place.  Hopefully in a few years we'll more space for birds; layers and meat birds. I'm considering putting together a second pen for spring cornish cross chickens.  They are so tasty and quick to grow out.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
Jenna and her husband are great people. It was great spending time with them..and maybe more time in the future. :hello: 
Providing a select few deer , bear , and turkey hunts  with meals and lodging provided.  Stevens County is right in the heart of the best hunting and fishing in the Northeast corner of the state . . Our Lodge is also a great place for your family reunion, summer vacation  509-722-3949  www.buckcanyon.net
Call me for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Westergard Real Estate Kettle Falls

Offline jennabug

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2016, 05:29:05 PM »
Jenna and her husband are great people. It was great spending time with them..and maybe more time in the future. :hello:
Rick, I hope you got my email too.  We were just 'over the moon' happy with the whole day.  We'd love to come back for another visit and hopefully help with some of the coyotes.  :IBCOOL:

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
 :whoo:      Great news - congrats !       :tup:

Offline michaelcx38

• Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 08:56:52 AM »
well damn, looks like one hell of a trip. not helping the itch I already got  :bash:

Offline jennabug

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
Thanks!! It was a lot of fun.
Turkey opens back up next week in a few GMUs. ;)  I hope to get back outside soon too.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »
 :tup: Awesome job
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Disclaimer: This my SWAG. Not even an opinion. This is not my version of a 14th hand version of a fairy tale. It is also not the opinion of the Hunt Wa. site, it's owner, or any of the moderators or admins, not even me. Scouts honor. :salute:

Offline nwwanderer

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »
Perfect!!!

Offline kellama2001

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun
  • Groups: MDF, NWTF, NRA, RMEF
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »
Just saw this post, congrats on a great hunt!!!  :tup: and thanks for the awesome journey, I feel like I was there with you guys reading this! I'm still working on getting my first turkey, you give me hope! Congrats again and happy eating  :)
Some old fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
Saw your avatar pic and I have a similar one.. Only this is a wild tom I caught by hand. He and two other toms were fighting in the woods behind the house and I wanted to get a video of a turkey fight. Anyway they were so focused on the fight that I moved in and grabbed this one , carried it to the lodge and had my wife take a pic. Released it and it ran back uphill into the woods and started fighting again. I have a turkey fight video on my website. Good luck on your quest..
Lol... Your killing me Rick.
GEAUX TIGERS

* Recent Topics

Newest Family Member by MikeCass
[Today at 01:55:04 AM]

PUPPIES! Our Golden Retriever Amber by MikeCass
[Today at 01:51:37 AM]

Ghost fences by MikeCass
[Today at 01:50:10 AM]

New to duck hunting by The_Bruce_is_loose
[Today at 01:14:25 AM]

FS Angus Beef by Kadynr6