collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First turkey hunt, Newbie story  (Read 11418 times)

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
First turkey hunt, Newbie story
« on: September 18, 2016, 08:13:49 AM »
Background:  I'm a brand new hunter, and have become interested in turkey hunting over the past couple months. Most of my spare time has been devoted to learning how/where/etc.  My husband has some experience with elk and upland bird hunting with family.

My husband and I went turkey hunting yesterday morning, opening day. We had a rough start in an area we hadn't thoroughly enough scouted but looked good via the maps. We got there in the dark.  It turned out to be more of a wetland than a field. We both ended up soaked within the first hour and a half. I totally fell into a creek and we had wet feet for hours. Hahaha!

We left that area and went to the spot we had previously scouted and ended up finding a bona-fide roosting area with tons of feathers that we hadn't found when we first scouted. When we walked back to the truck, a young guy stopped near us to chat, and gave us some tips of where he saw turkeys. We found one of the flocks, but they had moved to private land and it looked like nobody was home. We moved on the another spot and saw a flock of about 6 from the road, in a legal area. They were on the border of a field and a small wooded area. My husband was able to get loaded first and nearly was able to get a shot on one. We weren't able to get ahead of them before they left the hunting boundary.

So we left feeling pretty satisfied with what we had learned. Our plan was to return to the roosting area this  morning. After we got home, I threw my back out. It's actually funny at this point. I iced it for a couple of hours yesterday and not much improvement until this morning.  I can walk while without bending over now. We've decided that we're going to postpone the next hunt until next weekend. Fun times!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:20:15 AM by jennabug »

Offline elkhunter1977

• Hunter
Re: First turkey hunt, Newbie story
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:09:55 AM »
Keep it up you'll get one!
Fin,Fur,Feather Taxidermy
Richland, WA
 509-630-8966

Tri-Cities NWTF Chapter President

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
Keep it up you'll get one!

Thanks!  I hope so to be back out there Friday morning. :)

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
 I have done many turkey hunting seminars/clinics on the westside at numerous stores, sportsmen clubs, etc for over a decade.  Just haven't been able to do them recently due to work and family .... but I retire March 1, 2017 and things have settled out with family, so may do some more in the future. 

Your local sporting goods stores may arrange turkey hunting seminars/clinics at their stores in your area too.  It will also help if you read the numerous books and watch some of the many videos available (pay attention to what made them successful on their hunts).  The NWTF has many articles on their website from "expert" turkey hunters.  The same "experts" like Primos, Knight and Hale, HS Strut, etc will have articles on their website too. Read back thru some of the items on this site too .. a lot of good info pasted on in the past.  The more you learn, the faster you will become successful.

Scouting is one of the most important things you can do ... not only to find birds, roost trees, strut zones, dusting bowls, etc ... but to find good spots to set up that don't have any obstacles to the birds coming to your set up (creeks, fences,swamps, etc).  I feel that's 90+ % of turkey hunting ... good calling maybe 10%.   

I believe the current NWTF State Chapter president resides in your area ... think about joining their chapter and somebody will most likely take you "under their wing".  It's something I did when I was a local chapter president for 10 years, Puget Sound District Director for 3 years, and on the State Board of Directors for 10 years.

Good luck ....  turkeydancer

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 01:21:22 PM »
I have done many turkey hunting seminars/clinics on the westside at numerous stores, sportsmen clubs, etc for over a decade.  Just haven't been able to do them recently due to work and family .... but I retire March 1, 2017 and things have settled out with family, so may do some more in the future. 

Your local sporting goods stores may arrange turkey hunting seminars/clinics at their stores in your area too.  It will also help if you read the numerous books and watch some of the many videos available (pay attention to what made them successful on their hunts).  The NWTF has many articles on their website from "expert" turkey hunters.  The same "experts" like Primos, Knight and Hale, HS Strut, etc will have articles on their website too. Read back thru some of the items on this site too .. a lot of good info pasted on in the past.  The more you learn, the faster you will become successful.

Scouting is one of the most important things you can do ... not only to find birds, roost trees, strut zones, dusting bowls, etc ... but to find good spots to set up that don't have any obstacles to the birds coming to your set up (creeks, fences,swamps, etc).  I feel that's 90+ % of turkey hunting ... good calling maybe 10%.   

I believe the current NWTF State Chapter president resides in your area ... think about joining their chapter and somebody will most likely take you "under their wing".  It's something I did when I was a local chapter president for 10 years, Puget Sound District Director for 3 years, and on the State Board of Directors for 10 years.

Good luck ....  turkeydancer

Thanks turkey dancer! Yes, I've actually met our local chapter president and the regional director and have their contact info.  They had some good suggestions.  I've also been reading, listening to podcasts, and networking as much as possible.  (I tend to go all-in when I find an interest.)   I hope in the next couple years to find someone who would be willing to take new hunters in the field with them, for those of us that learn by seeing it done and trying it: the calling, tracking, and scouting.  I do realize there will be a lot of trial and error along the way.

I'd love to go to a clinic, so please be sure to advertise that if you do another in the future.  :) 

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »
I tried to take most of my chapter members (and good friends) out with me (my way of paying them back for all their volunteer efforts).  Many times I would spend 2 days each with 3 different guys eacxh season, and then try to get my turkeys the last day of a week trip.  They became excellent turkey hunters in their own right, and I was glad to see them start taking other newer chapter members out with them.  We became like a big turkey hunting family.  Made many friends throughout the state NWTF family too.  Never regretted meeting any of the volunteers, and respected them a lot.

Sounds like you're already on the road to turkey success .... will let you know about any seminars (the good news they are free).   

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »
Update:

We went back to GMU 154 Friday and Saturday morning and struck out.  Friday we got to the roosting spot late and assumed that we had missed the fly-down.  We hunted around and didn't see any of the turkeys that we had seen the previous weekend.  Think they know that season is opened? ;)  We did some more road hunting and only saw a few turkeys on private property.
This morning we got to the roosting spot in the dark, and set up.  I waited until it had been light about 40 minutes until I moved, and found my husband fast asleep.  Hehe. Anyway, it appears our turkeys have moved on to a new roosting spot.  There had been new feathers since the previous weekend, so it was sometime last week that they left.  After some time, we went back to the road, and saw a small flock of turkeys, on private property again.  Given that it was so early, we weren't going to knock on doors. However, we saw someone outside, so we stopped to chat.  The owner was very nice, and said that he has kids and grand-kids that hunt already, so he can't accommodate anyone else. When we were chatting, he had some stories about how bad the trespassing is in the whole area, despite lots of warning signs.  We were really disappointed to hear that there are people so bold and so disrespectful.  We went to another spot that we had seen turkeys on "feel free to hunt" land, and saw nothing.
I voted that we check out Dayton/Touchet.  We saw a huge flock of 30+ before we got to the free hunting area, and nothing but free-range goats once we were in the hunting area.  I know, I know... this is why it's called "hunting" instead of "shooting".  I felt like we had nailed down that roosting spot in 154, but they were no longer there.   :bash:
We won't get to go out again until later in the season, and will probably head up towards Colville to try our luck, if possible.

I have questions that maybe someone could answer.
- There was a dead doe within 50 yards of the roost, and it had been there the previous weekend.  Would turkeys move their roost due to the smell?
- Does wind change where a flock roosts?  The wind had picked up the last 2 days.
- Is there any particular rhyme or reason that a flock would relocate.  How often/how likely do they move.
- Does fly-down happen around first light? Or before? Closer to sunrise?

Thank you to those that respond!

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 10:21:55 AM »

- There was a dead doe within 50 yards of the roost, and it had been there the previous weekend.  Would turkeys move their roost due to the smell?
- Does wind change where a flock roosts?  The wind had picked up the last 2 days.
- Is there any particular rhyme or reason that a flock would relocate.  How often/how likely do they move.

Dead animal shouldn't make them adjust their roosting location unless whatever killed it disturbed them.  I have never noticed wind change where turkeys roost.  There are a hundred reasons a flock will relocate, however, if you find a turkey roost, it will get reused at some point in time so put it into your data bank.  Depending on your terrain there might be many great roosting areas, or just a few.  The number of options to the turkey will determine how soon they may return.  Your best bet is to get into the woods a couple of hours before daylight and listen.  I have seen fly-down occur as soon as it is light enough to see, and also 2 hours after sunrise.  One of the weirdest hunts I had was running and gunning with a buddy and we thought we had some hung up toms.  They were talking but not moving closer.  I tried everything from our set-up.  I tried calling and moving away to see if I could pull them towards him and nothing.  Finally, we decided their must be a big obstacle in between us and them, so we carefully moved in closer.  Finally, we see them, still in the trees, at 9:30 in the morning.  They flew down about 15 minutes later and we picked up a Tom. 
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 10:00:29 AM »

Dead animal shouldn't make them adjust their roosting location unless whatever killed it disturbed them.  I have never noticed wind change where turkeys roost.  There are a hundred reasons a flock will relocate, however, if you find a turkey roost, it will get reused at some point in time so put it into your data bank.  Depending on your terrain there might be many great roosting areas, or just a few.  The number of options to the turkey will determine how soon they may return.  Your best bet is to get into the woods a couple of hours before daylight and listen.  I have seen fly-down occur as soon as it is light enough to see, and also 2 hours after sunrise.  One of the weirdest hunts I had was running and gunning with a buddy and we thought we had some hung up toms.  They were talking but not moving closer.  I tried everything from our set-up.  I tried calling and moving away to see if I could pull them towards him and nothing.  Finally, we decided their must be a big obstacle in between us and them, so we carefully moved in closer.  Finally, we see them, still in the trees, at 9:30 in the morning.  They flew down about 15 minutes later and we picked up a Tom.

Thank you for the feedback.  That's kind of what I was expecting as well.  :)
We're thinking that we'll have to start camping closer to the turkeys to save time/money from driving all over the place.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 10:13:58 AM »
You will have so much more fun in the spring.  The great thing is you are out there learning.  That's what turkey hunting is all about.  they will constantly teach you new things that you will file away, and then sometime in your life, that little bit of extra knowledge will bag you a bird you wouldn't have otherwise shot.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »

:yeah:
Turkeys don't have a good sense of smell ... if they did we probably wouldn't get many, so the deer's smell wasn't a factor.  It could have been a predator that got the deer and moved your turkeys. 

The wind doesn't usually make that much difference unless really strong (gale like) ... remember their 2 main defenses are their great eyesight and hearing. The wind making noise and moving branches can effect both. They will move downhill to where the winds is not as strong.

Turkeys move most often due to hunting pressure (they don't like being bumped time and time again), or other predators in the area, or when the snow gets too deep for them to effectively forage for bugs, grains, berries, etc.  They can move in any direction, but usually not too far.

I've had turkeys fly down at legal shoot time and also 4-1/2 hours after legal shoot .... it's dependent on how comfortable they feel, the weather, and many other factors.  A tom may just sit on the roost until he attracts all his hens below him before flying down to join them.   I limit my calling while he's on the roost.  If he answers your call, he recognized you as real live hen. Use his natural curiosity and sex drive against him.  If you call too much and "the hen" he hears doesn't come to him, he will smell a rat, fly down and will move away from you.  Many hunters call this being "henned up", but I call it "over calling".  I've actually had a tom fly out of the tree and land on my boot and other times they land within a few feet of me.  One time I did a sleepy tree yelp and was immediately cut off ... my next call was 10 to 15 minutes later at legal shoot, and it was a simple couple hat slaps against my arm simulating the noise of a couple hens flying down .... immediately 5 toms flew down less that 10 feet away ...3 had foot long beards and weighed approx. 22 pounds each ... only 3 left ... that was priceless!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:41:10 PM by turkeydancer »

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 04:23:39 PM »
Thank you for the encouragement, feedback and answers.  It means a lot to a new hunter.  I've been limiting my calling to nearly zero because I don't think it's good enough yet.  I'm actually enjoying learning to use a mouth call now that I found one that fits me well.  I don't like messing with a slate or box and gloves while running and gunning. 

We're heading to the coast for some crabbing and a much needed vacation this weekend and next week, so I won't get out to hunt again until mid October.  The SE areas close on the 17th, so we may try NE next.  I've received a couple of PMs from people who may be able to point us to a better location after then as well.  Again, this is great encouragement because learning the "how to find legal areas", "where the animals are", and "how to hunt" all at once is very daunting!   ;D   I think a lot of us that are starting as adults don't want to start with big game until we have some experience with smaller game, but most of the conversations and excitement on the forum is about the big game right now (understandably).  So again, thank you. :)

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 10:12:51 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement, feedback and answers.  It means a lot to a new hunter.  I've been limiting my calling to nearly zero because I don't think it's good enough yet.  I'm actually enjoying learning to use a mouth call now that I found one that fits me well.  I don't like messing with a slate or box and gloves while running and gunning. 

We're heading to the coast for some crabbing and a much needed vacation this weekend and next week, so I won't get out to hunt again until mid October.  The SE areas close on the 17th, so we may try NE next.  I've received a couple of PMs from people who may be able to point us to a better location after then as well.  Again, this is great encouragement because learning the "how to find legal areas", "where the animals are", and "how to hunt" all at once is very daunting!   ;D   I think a lot of us that are starting as adults don't want to start with big game until we have some experience with smaller game, but most of the conversations and excitement on the forum is about the big game right now (understandably).  So again, thank you. :)
First, the worst turkey caller I ever heard was a real live hen ... and she always got her man.   Calling is overated and is actually only about 5 to 10% of successful turkey hunting.  There are situations and times when being a good caller is helpful, but you don't have to be a state champion caller to be successful.  It's more important to learn the calling cadence and know when to call ... many times the best call is not to (if he coming and you call he may stop and strut vice coming on in looking for you).  Remember all turkeys have different voices, but the cadence is always the same.  Also remember that more turkeys are harvested with box calls than any other calls.  I treat calls like fishing lures .... if he's not biting on my mouth calls, he may bite on a box, slate, tube, wing, scratch box or other call.  Sometimes he wants to listen to rock & roll, sometimes country & western, sometimes the blues, sometimes classical, etc.  Remember turkeys go thru moods just like us and you need to find what's tripping his trigger this particular day or time of day. Sometimes he will want soft and sweet and other times loud and obnoxious.   You may need to change calls and how you're calling ... take his temperature so to speak .... listen to him and he'll tell you what he wants to hear!  One day I had two newbies with me that would never be called good callers at the time, but the birds were not responding to my sweet calling .... the newbies pulled out some high pitched, squeaky pot and peg calls (think finger nails on  a chalk board) and were getting excited responses.  How long do you think it took me to pull out a carbon sticker and a high pitched titanium call and mimicked the newbies calling?  Answer - immediately.   I think your calling is a lot better than you imagine it to be .... if your cadence is fine, you'll be fine.  I always start soft and sweet ... I can always get loud and obnoxious.   Another thing I do is let him gobble two or three times before I call again making him think he wants me more than I want him reversing nature when the hens run to his calls ... make him curious and he'll come to find you.  I will also change what call I'm using at different times of the day.    Hope this rambling helps .... good luck.   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:18:38 PM by turkeydancer »

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 11:04:04 AM »
Thank you, turkeydancer.  It does make sense. 
I actually have a domestic turkey jake, and prior to him had a very sweet hen, both meat birds.  The hen is in the freezer now; the jake has a bit more growing to do.  Anyway, it's been nice because I get to listen to cadences all the time.  They talk to me a lot with clucks, kee-kees and soft yelps.  I try to talk back at least with cadence when I'm out in the coop, and occasionally take my slate or mouth call out there to watch the reactions.   :chuckle: 

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
Sounds good ... if you can do clucks, soft and loud yelps, and excited cutting, you'll be fine.  If they are further away, you can use excited cutting and louder yelps to get him coming in ... but as he comes closer though, you usually will want to use sweet softer yelps and clucks plus call less often --- just enough to keep him coming if necessary.  If you learn them, soft purrs are deadly and will help seal the deal IMO.  Kee-kee-runs and hen assembly calls are great fall calls, but sometimes they work in the spring too.  :twocents:

Later in the spring season, the turkeys probably have heard every box call, pot & peg, and mouth diaphragm. So in later season, I have used calls they normally don't hear often such as a tube call and wing bone with good success. I also occasionally will do aggravating purring with a pair of push-pulls while doing excited cutting on a mouth diaphragm if nothing else works (I don't know if it rouses their curiosity or they like coming into a "dog" fight).  In the fall, I've used a tube call or shaker gobbler to do gobbles to get them curious and coming in also.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:23:41 PM by turkeydancer »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter