collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First turkey hunt, Newbie story  (Read 11423 times)

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: First turkey hunt, Newbie story
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
Well... we came back from the coast to a flooded basement due to a corroded water heater.  Thank God for insurance!  Anyway, we've been dealing with the fallout from that (contractors and cleanup), in addition to me catching a nasty cold.  I don't know if I'll be able to get out again until late fall season turkey at this point.  We haven't scouted any of the areas that will be open the rest of October, and its a long drive, public land, and while modern firearm is open for big game.  :( 

I hope those of you that did get out there had a great time!

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 07:10:33 AM »
I'm hoping to get some advice on an opportunity I was given.  I have the opportunity to go "shoot some turkeys" that have become a problem and would be an easy kill.  I don't think that I've "hunted" enough to even qualify my hunts as a failure, just unfinished. And I understand that failure is part of the hunt.  So I am torn on "should I fill my tag with an easy harvest or an earned hunt?"  Part of me feels like I should earn my first bird.  But my motivation to hunt is directed at meat hunting.  I'm thoroughly confused.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 07:38:05 AM »
On occasion the planets align and you will have an easy hunt.  Do not bank on it.  The there they are shoot them hunts are often they were here yesterday I wonder where they are hunts with you left standing on the porch.  Plan on the hard way.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
Saw your avatar pic and I have a similar one.. Only this is a wild tom I caught by hand. He and two other toms were fighting in the woods behind the house and I wanted to get a video of a turkey fight. Anyway they were so focused on the fight that I moved in and grabbed this one , carried it to the lodge and had my wife take a pic. Released it and it ran back uphill into the woods and started fighting again. I have a turkey fight video on my website. Good luck on your quest..
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 09:05:56 AM »
Saw your avatar pic and I have a similar one.. Only this is a wild tom I caught by hand. He and two other toms were fighting in the woods behind the house and I wanted to get a video of a turkey fight. Anyway they were so focused on the fight that I moved in and grabbed this one , carried it to the lodge and had my wife take a pic. Released it and it ran back uphill into the woods and started fighting again. I have a turkey fight video on my website. Good luck on your quest..

I know someone in the TriCities that could be your twin!  That's a great picture/story!  :chuckle:  I'll have to watch the video after work.

We bought a poult from the feed store this spring that imprinted on me.  I named it Jeffrey, and later discovered it was a "Miss Jeffrey."  I butchered her a few weeks ago, much to the dismay of the friends and family who'd watched her grow via Facebook.  I never kidded myself that she was a pet, no matter how much I appreciated her.  A coworker and the neighbor family came over to learn the process and participated too, which they really enjoyed.  Her finished carcass is in our freezer, 20 lbs, with "Miss Jeffrey <3" written across her rump. ;) 
I also have a jake named Wallace now that should be to a good size by mid-winter.

Offline Whobuff

• Tracker
  • "Shut the f up Donnie you are out of your element"
  • Groups: RMEF, Military Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »

I would be afraid that lil miniature dinosaur would try to peck my eyeballs out. HA
Thats a pretty cool picture!

Online Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 09:47:29 AM »

ummm   :yike:   buckcanyonlodge - look down     :yike:

OP - There is no such thing as a for sure hunt.  I have hunted them before and low and behold, gone home empty handed. 

I would take the opportunity for the first one and keep scouting/learning for the next one.  You can learn from the easy hunts also.   :twocents:

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
I'm hoping to get some advice on an opportunity I was given.  I have the opportunity to go "shoot some turkeys" that have become a problem and would be an easy kill.  I don't think that I've "hunted" enough to even qualify my hunts as a failure, just unfinished. And I understand that failure is part of the hunt.  So I am torn on "should I fill my tag with an easy harvest or an earned hunt?"  Part of me feels like I should earn my first bird.  But my motivation to hunt is directed at meat hunting.  I'm thoroughly confused.

I would go ... it will be fun, you will get some more experience, and you may get some meat (tags eaten never taste all that good) ... and as mentioned "for sures" are never really a given (ie - roosted doesn't mean roasted).

I was taking Tacoma News Tribune Outdoor Writer Jeff Mayer out for a spring hunt ... I had 5 huge toms (with a couple dozen hens/jakes/jennies) coming in every morning to the same location.  Opening day they had come in from about 600 yards and were just seconds from coming on up the hill to our location ... then this garbage truck came up the county road and starting his pickups ... the birds were gone back 600 yards in just a few seconds. There went our early morning breakfast. A second setup elsewhere ended with the lead hen taking an "amourous" tom away vice "sharing" him. I did get Jeff his first tom later than morning on our 3rd setup of the day when I called in 3 toms to 10 yards (poor Jeff missed his first shot before hitting his second, but was so excited he forgot he had another tag and a third shell). Things don't always go as planned, but turkey hunting is always tons of fun ..... even on a "canned" hunt ... you go girl !
 :tup:

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »

ummm   :yike:   buckcanyonlodge - look down     :yike:

OP - There is no such thing as a for sure hunt.  I have hunted them before and low and behold, gone home empty handed. 

I would take the opportunity for the first one and keep scouting/learning for the next one.  You can learn from the easy hunts also.   :twocents:

Yea , I know. That was the first thing most people commented on!  New Buck Canyon theme:  " Here At Buck canyon Lodge , We Practice Catch And Release "
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 11:30:15 AM »
 :lol4: I didn't even notice!  :tup:

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
We had the best day ever yesterday, and I officially feel like a hunter.  My husband and I went to the home of another HW member who has too many turkeys in his neighborhood.  We were utterly shocked at the number of turkeys that were there when we arrived in the morning.  Shocked and slightly giddy, we started with a turkey depredation harvest.  My hands were shaking I was so excited.  We tried to do a "1-2-3-shoot", but I forgot my safety was on.  :chuckle:  :chuckle:  :chuckle:  My husband got the first shot and the flock panic ensued.  Once I figured out the problem and got my first target down, my husband also got his second shot off too.  I pumped for my second shot and the shell from my first shot had stove-piped and failed to eject.   :chuckle: By the time that was corrected, I couldn't catch up with the birds fleeing into the woods. Still, I was satisfied with a well placed neck shot on a nice beardless turkey.  Nick had one that was a neck shot and one that was a body shot.  The one shot on the body was a mess on the inside, so we just saved the legs and breasts and tagged/bagged the rest of the carcass.

Our host (not sure if he wants to self-identify, so I'm keeping him anonymous for now), was amazing.  He not only let us field dress the birds at his place and helped, he also took us out for a while.  We went with him to change memory cards on game cameras, heard lots of great stories, saw lots of property and wildlife.  We tried to call in some coyotes in one area, but they didn't respond.  This was probably my favorite part of the trip... hiking around, observing, hunting.  On our way out of this area we came across a grouse in the road.  So, I hopped out and the grouse flew up into the trees.  As I neared, I saw that there was a huge grouse still on the ground near the road.  I still/only had turkey loads, and had reloaded those.  I took the shot and it looked like a pillow exploded. I really wondered if there would be a body left at all.  Fortunately, I found a gorgeous grouse at the bottom of the embankment.  Eventually we got back to the house and said our thank yous and goodbyes.

On our way home, we stopped to visit my husband's grandmother and gave her the legs/breasts that were already cleaned.  After we got home last night I finished plucking and dressing the two other turkeys and the grouse.  The grouse did have some internal damage, so I ended up just taking the breasts and legs.  But it was definitely a nice sized bird.  Next time we'll be sure to bring some more appropriate shotgun shells for other game. ;)  We're still on a bit of a high from the whole day yesterday, full of gratitude and excitement for our next outing.  Thank you all again for sharing this journey with me.

Offline elkhunter1977

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
Congrats!
Fin,Fur,Feather Taxidermy
Richland, WA
 509-630-8966

Tri-Cities NWTF Chapter President

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 12:57:40 PM »
That's great, congratulations!  Always go for the "sure thing" because often it isn't....   :chuckle:

Also, the next time you get a hen turkey chick, wait to butcher to the second year if you have the space.  We had one that laid 104 eggs as a 1+ year old.  :tup:

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 01:30:52 PM »
That's great, congratulations!  Always go for the "sure thing" because often it isn't....   :chuckle:

Also, the next time you get a hen turkey chick, wait to butcher to the second year if you have the space.  We had one that laid 104 eggs as a 1+ year old.  :tup:
Good to know.  We're limited on poultry space in the current place.  Hopefully in a few years we'll more space for birds; layers and meat birds. I'm considering putting together a second pen for spring cornish cross chickens.  They are so tasty and quick to grow out.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
Jenna and her husband are great people. It was great spending time with them..and maybe more time in the future. :hello: 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal