collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: March 6 & 7 WDFW Meeting in E-burg  (Read 36948 times)

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: March 6 & 7 WDFW Meeting in E-burg
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »
See ya'll in the morning. Safe travels.

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2009, 05:13:27 PM »
Well boys i'm in Ellensburg!  Cya shortly!  KillBilly we'll let you know what happens, too bad u couldn't make it over...

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
Give em hell boys
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »
Well I just got done with the meeting!  Me and Colockum we're the only huntwa members there that I know of...  Last night it was Me, Colockum, and Luv2Hunt at the palace for dinner... wonder where all you guys were at???   :dunno:

Overall I'm very impressed...  It really seems that we got a lot of messages through to the commission and it APPEARED that they are taking it under advisement... here are some stats and suspected changes...

Late Swakane archery; this was a huge issue.  Tons of ppl spoke about how they disagreed with closing it.  And even the WDFW stats showed that the buck harvest has been about the same from 2003-present, but the antlerless harvest has been through the roof the last two years.  There was a reported 700 hunters (roughly) last year in swakane.  I suspect that they will reopen the late archery season, but make it 3 point minimum and shorten the season by 5 days...  Thats only my speculation though.

Stevens and Pend Orielle County late whitetail hunts... Tons of public input about how they wanted to make it a 3 point minimum for the late whitetail hunt as the number of mature bucks is way down and with the young bucks breeding does on their 2nd and 3rd estrus cycles the fawn survival rate is extremely low...    Youth and Seniors and disabled hunters would still be able to harvest any buck.  This issue was probably split 80% for, 20% against if I had to guess.  But it seemed that even the commission agreed something had to be done...

Another issue was the colockum...  Aaron kicked ass and presented his case about how the true spike rule was too much too late and pointed out that the WDFW had to do something that they KNOW will work, not SUSPECT will work as the representative from the WDFW admitted about the true spike rule change.  Aaron brought up how the public survey actually favored PERMIT ONLY over the TRUE SPIKE RULE, and how they should consider going to permit only. If not then close down the roads...etc

The Vice Pres of the commision then directly asked Aaron if he would support a year or two long closure for all elk hunting in the Colockum if they decided to do so.  Aaron replied perfectly with an affirmative answer that he would get the support.  Two other guys also stood up and supported the closure and many in the room agreed.

There were other issues brought up but thats all off the top of my head... This meeting was delegated very nicely and was 90% about public input on the new proposals... I was quite happy with the results!   :IBCOOL:

We'll just see if the commission actually does something now!  If they don't then I truly believe they are worthless.  But from this meeting it seemed like they are wanting to do some good things...

Michael
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »
I'm still getting to know people on this site so, when you say "Aaron kicked @$$" the only one that comes to mind is Whitefoot. Is Colockums' name Aaron?

Speaking of Whitefoot what was the Native turnout and was the topic of Tribal hunting brought up?

Glad to hear it went well and the feeling of a positive and productive outcome.
God Bless,
Scott

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2009, 06:33:43 PM »
I'm still getting to know people on this site so, when you say "Aaron kicked @$$" the only one that comes to mind is Whitefoot. Is Colockums' name Aaron?

Speaking of Whitefoot what was the Native turnout and was the topic of Tribal hunting brought up?

Glad to hear it went well and the feeling of a positive and productive outcome.

Colockum's name is Aaron...  Also Whitefoot did show up and I was gonna meet him, but he took off before the meeting was over...  I know he was there during the elk issues discussions... 

Also one guy did bring up the tribal issue of not having the accountability that non tribal hunters had...  He urged the WDFW to work something out and that guestimating on 30-40 branched bulls is really hurting their ability to properly manage the herds...  That was all that was said about the colockum and tribal hunting on the Eastside...

Michael
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2009, 07:30:51 PM »
Any conversation of the goat tags?

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »
Nope not that I heard of.  Maybe something was mentioned friday during the meeting but I only attended todays session...

Dang I expected more responses to this thread with my report...  :dunno:

Michael
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline colockumelk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2009, 10:07:04 PM »
Norse the only thing they talked about goats is this.  They want the ability to in mid-season switch a hunters tag from one area to another if they notice a decline in goats in one unit.  Or the ability to send them to a subherd.  Basically more flexibility in their harvests to keep the quality up.
"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."
Author: George Orwell

Offline colockumelk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2009, 10:09:57 PM »
Well I just got done with the meeting!  Me and Colockum we're the only huntwa members there that I know of...  Last night it was Me, Colockum, and Luv2Hunt at the palace for dinner... wonder where all you guys were at???   :dunno:

Overall I'm very impressed...  It really seems that we got a lot of messages through to the commission and it APPEARED that they are taking it under advisement... here are some stats and suspected changes...

Late Swakane archery; this was a huge issue.  Tons of ppl spoke about how they disagreed with closing it.  And even the WDFW stats showed that the buck harvest has been about the same from 2003-present, but the antlerless harvest has been through the roof the last two years.  There was a reported 700 hunters (roughly) last year in swakane.  I suspect that they will reopen the late archery season, but make it 3 point minimum and shorten the season by 5 days...  Thats only my speculation though.

Stevens and Pend Orielle County late whitetail hunts... Tons of public input about how they wanted to make it a 3 point minimum for the late whitetail hunt as the number of mature bucks is way down and with the young bucks breeding does on their 2nd and 3rd estrus cycles the fawn survival rate is extremely low...    Youth and Seniors and disabled hunters would still be able to harvest any buck.  This issue was probably split 80% for, 20% against if I had to guess.  But it seemed that even the commission agreed something had to be done...

Another issue was the colockum...  Aaron kicked ass and presented his case about how the true spike rule was too much too late and pointed out that the WDFW had to do something that they KNOW will work, not SUSPECT will work as the representative from the WDFW admitted about the true spike rule change.  Aaron brought up how the public survey actually favored PERMIT ONLY over the TRUE SPIKE RULE, and how they should consider going to permit only. If not then close down the roads...etc

The Vice Pres of the commision then directly asked Aaron if he would support a year or two long closure for all elk hunting in the Colockum if they decided to do so.  Aaron replied perfectly with an affirmative answer that he would get the support.  Two other guys also stood up and supported the closure and many in the room agreed.

There were other issues brought up but thats all off the top of my head... This meeting was delegated very nicely and was 90% about public input on the new proposals... I was quite happy with the results!   :IBCOOL:

We'll just see if the commission actually does something now!  If they don't then I truly believe they are worthless.  But from this meeting it seemed like they are wanting to do some good things...

Michael

Dude you must have a mind like a steal trap.  You didn't take down any notes and yet you still remembered all those stats.  Good on ya.  Oh woodswalker was the one who spoke about how they need to quite guessing about Tribal accountability and get start requiring some hard data.

The biologist for the Puyallup Tribe was there and they require accountability so the Yakama's really don't have a valid excuse for why they do not require the same thing.
"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."
Author: George Orwell

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »
Thanks man!  I think I'm gonna re-post my account of the meeting in the general forum for more to see... not sure too many frequent this forum...

Michael
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »
MJ, Thanks for the report. Was there any mention of the bear hunting on public land? I know they already revised the proposal, but was wondering if it even came up?
  I truly intended to be there (even had a room booked) but a week of being sick and the weather killed that plan.
Steve

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »
Ya bear hunting was talked about and it is STILL opening August 1st... just like in years past...   :IBCOOL:  Nobody  mentioned anything about the accidental death from that shooting last year...

Michael
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Ya bear hunting was talked about and it is STILL opening August 1st... just like in years past...   :IBCOOL:  Nobody  mentioned anything about the accidental death from that shooting last year...

Michael

Remember, these are still the suggestions and nothing is in stone until after next months meeting. Don't put in for vacation just yet.

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »
Ya bear hunting was talked about and it is STILL opening August 1st... just like in years past...   :IBCOOL:  Nobody  mentioned anything about the accidental death from that shooting last year...

Michael

Remember, these are still the suggestions and nothing is in stone until after next months meeting. Don't put in for vacation just yet.

Good point but the commission would be strung up if they changed it now...  The commission didn't disagree with putting the season start at Aug. 1st and the stance from the WDFW representative was the same...  Plus no public input thought it was negative to start it per Status Quo at August 1st...

Michael
HCARifles@gmail.com

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal