collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling does?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Soundbite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Calling does?
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
So the wife and I drew doe tags on whidbey Island and I have done a little scouting. Most of the ground is pretty thick. Found a couple spots that hove may 50 yards of open area. During a couple bear hunts this year I called in a few does with my preditor call (maybe I am doing something wrong but that is another issue) has anyone had any luck calling does? I would also take any info on good hunting ground I have a few connections but would love any help or suggestions. Thanks

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Re: Calling does?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:48:32 PM »
Tagging along, I plan on trying to call them with a Fawn in distress call this winter, seems to work good on YouTube!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
So the wife and I drew doe tags on whidbey Island and I have done a little scouting. Most of the ground is pretty thick. Found a couple spots that hove may 50 yards of open area. During a couple bear hunts this year I called in a few does with my preditor call (maybe I am doing something wrong but that is another issue) has anyone had any luck calling does? I would also take any info on good hunting ground I have a few connections but would love any help or suggestions. Thanks

Oh my God yes.  Fawn in distress will have does coming in hell bent to save the world.

We have been coyote calling a few times and thought we were in for a first rate butt kicking.  I haven't tried it during deer season though, but in the spring and summer they came running in.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:55 PM »
I've had no luck at all with fawn in distress.  Probably 0/10.  I mess up with a reed cow call last year and produced a god-awful squeal that got two does up and looking around in the reprod I was hunting over.

Calling from a tree stand might give you better visibility to see does that respond in the thick stuff. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:07:31 PM »
You mean this?

Ya they come in sometimes. 😀

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »
You mean this?

Yup, and one ripped my buddy's coyote decoy to shreds in seconds.  When they come in they are looking for to kick some butt.

Offline Seabass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 09:37:03 PM »
I have been calling bears with a predator call for 20 years. I have probably called 5 mule deer does for every bear.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 09:40:40 PM »

I had better luck in early-mid August then September but I'm not sure if that's just coincidence or not. I've had them come to within 6-7 feet no kidding and yelled at one I was very startled

Offline Soundbite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 08:46:19 PM »
You mean this?

YES! is it not always that easy  ;)

Offline carvermoe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 07:08:55 PM »
I tried calling does on like the video. It worked great called 4 in to 40 yds.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal