collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Custom Ammo  (Read 4084 times)

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Custom Ammo
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
2moa doesn't "work" for me.

You'd be surprised how many people consider that good enough....probably the majority of hunters

Not much difference between a 300 yards shot on a 2moa rifle compared to a 6 yard shot on a 1 moa rifle...which seems to be the advertised standard of accuracy these days

I prefer under .5 moan personally

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »

I'll second the ABM stuff.

Looks like somebody went dumpster diving behind the ABM plant.  :chuckle:

2moa doesn't "work" for me.

You'd be surprised how many people consider that good enough....probably the majority of hunters

Not much difference between a 300 yards shot on a 2moa rifle compared to a 6 yard shot on a 1 moa rifle...which seems to be the advertisedge standard of accuracy these days

I prefer under .5 moan personally

I think a lot of hunters would be lucky to shoot 2 MOA with a .5 MOA rifle at 100 yards.

Offline fliesitdies

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
Re: Custom Ammo Updated
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 04:56:49 PM »
Thank You All for your response, So here is my situation I shoot a Rem. 700 XCR 2 in 300 wsm with a nice Leupold on it bought it new and did the proper break in I was shooting Rem. Scirocco 180g they were great grouped very well at 100,200yd. I ran out of that ammo and found out they do not make it anymore !!!!!! So in looking at ammo and getting input from other's I bought 1 box of Barnes Tipped TSX 165g the Bolt on my rifle was VERY HARD to open after firing about 1/2 the box was like this and it makes me just a little nervous / uneasy here is the kicker they grouped just as good as the Scirocco  ammo. I did look into custom ammo but it is Very Expensive and  I really do not shoot a lot but when I do I want to shoot very well and with confidence in my ammo and abilities. So after that long story what factory ammo do you guy's use and or recommend ? I am looking at trying the Nosler Trophy Grade 180g accubond .
Thanks for your input
Fliesitdies

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
Buy a variety of ammo and see what works best, or buy a reloading kit and never look back
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline skinzner

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »
Heres some nosler at a much nicer price than the store, i have ordered quite a few boxes of this and it shoots really good out of my gun, i can never find anything that looks blemished when i inspect the ammo. This is noslers outlet store
http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-trophy-grade-300-wsm-180-grain-accubond-ammunition-blem-20ct.html

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »
That new Nosler stuff looks pretty good but I reload everything so don't know.  I would hope that all of the companies "premium" options are very consistent but finding one that gives acceptable to you groups out of your gun may take a few trial and errors.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Custom Ammo Updated
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 07:59:47 AM »
Buy a few boxes of premium ammo from various manufacturers.  Once you find something that works buy the same lot by the case.  Factory ammo is very good stuff now days, for instance, I was able to get great hits at 750 yards on a .308 AR-10 that I built with Federal 175gr GMM.  I had just finished building the rifle and wanted to see what it would do so I bought a case of GMM before I worked up a load.  Since then I have worked up a load and it is better but not by much. 

The days of buying a box of ammo before you go are long gone.  Find something off the shelf (that your particular rifle likes) and buy a ton of it, enough for the life of the rifle.   

Thank You All for your response, So here is my situation I shoot a Rem. 700 XCR 2 in 300 wsm with a nice Leupold on it bought it new and did the proper break in I was shooting Rem. Scirocco 180g they were great grouped very well at 100,200yd. I ran out of that ammo and found out they do not make it anymore !!!!!! So in looking at ammo and getting input from other's I bought 1 box of Barnes Tipped TSX 165g the Bolt on my rifle was VERY HARD to open after firing about 1/2 the box was like this and it makes me just a little nervous / uneasy here is the kicker they grouped just as good as the Scirocco  ammo. I did look into custom ammo but it is Very Expensive and  I really do not shoot a lot but when I do I want to shoot very well and with confidence in my ammo and abilities. So after that long story what factory ammo do you guy's use and or recommend ? I am looking at trying the Nosler Trophy Grade 180g accubond .
Thanks for your input
Fliesitdies

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]