collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best scope for 250$  (Read 11104 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Best scope for 250$
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »
If you can find a Leopold in your price range it's a good choice. I own several Nixon scopes and I would say they are the best value scope. Since there are only 3 lense mfg and nikon is one of them I think they are worth a look. The lens factory is next to the scope optics factory. I don't think you can get much more efficient than that.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »
Check out the Primary Arms offerings.  They give you quote a bit of bang for the buck.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
If you can find a Leopold in your price range it's a good choice. I own several Nixon scopes and I would say they are the best value scope. Since there are only 3 lense mfg and nikon is one of them I think they are worth a look. The lens factory is next to the scope optics factory. I don't think you can get much more efficient than that.

Just off the top of my head - Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, Leitz, Fujinon... plus Chinese, plus Indian, plus Russian 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »
Ok so there are a lot more now than before, and my number was off. I do remember reading an article that talked about the realities small number of glass mfg compared to optics companies.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
find a used leupold, your price range is good. remember that the used leupold has the same warranty as new. No questions they just fix em.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2016, 08:45:38 PM »
I know it's a bit over your budget but I'd consider the new nikons with the FFP BDC. At least that's what's going on my next rifle

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 05:43:28 AM »
I know it's a bit over your budget but I'd consider the new nikons with the FFP BDC. At least that's what's going on my next rifle

I owned a Nikon 5-20 Monarch 3 with that hokey BDC arrangement Nikon has and gave it away to my seven year old daughter.  Try before you buy would be my advice

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 06:26:27 AM »

I owned a Nikon 5-20 Monarch 3 with that hokey BDC arrangement Nikon has and gave it away to my seven year old daughter.  Try before you buy would be my advice

I never understood the need for the extra $$ to put the BDC reticle in the first focal plane.  If your target is far enough away to require one of the BDC marks it’s far enough away that you would want full magnification.

Personally I don’t like the clutter on the reticle and I don’t want to fiddle with the knobs before shooting.  There are lots of good scopes out there under $250 if you are willing to go simple. 

Try before you buy would be great, but I don’t know how you can do that with scopes. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2016, 08:41:29 AM »

I never understood the need for the extra $$ to put the BDC reticle in the first focal plane.  If your target is far enough away to require one of the BDC marks it’s far enough away that you would want full magnification.

Personally I don’t like the clutter on the reticle and I don’t want to fiddle with the knobs before shooting.  There are lots of good scopes out there under $250 if you are willing to go simple. 

Try before you buy would be great, but I don’t know how you can do that with scopes.

Unless you know someone who has one it does get a bit problematic. 

The Nikon BDC that I reference above is a scope that came out of Nikon's "field staff" program.   I used to run a large gun counter 25 years ago and still maintain many of the contacts I have had w/in the industry and have had opportunity to "field test" and opine on quite a bit of equipment over the years. 

What I can say about the Nikon Monarch 3 5-20 is that it is a fabulous scope.  The BDC reticle, as Nikon constitutes it, is something I never warmed up to.  It isn't for me.  BUT that doesn't mean it isn't for everyone,  younger guys and gals seem to love it, old guys like me don't really seem to like it. 

My nephew tried pretty hard to get that scope off me, but then he ended up buying one after I took too long in making up my mind on what was to become of it.  It now belongs to my seven year old daughter and her little brother and sister.     

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:29:31 AM by JDHasty »

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2016, 06:52:13 AM »
Check out the Primary Arms offerings.  They give you quote a bit of bang for the buck.

Agreed.  The 4-14x44 with basic mil dots and no illumination is a great FFP scope for the $.  I have a couple of them and am very pleased.

Offline slm9s

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 01:57:37 PM »
For my hunting, mostly elk on dim november days, FFP scopes just don't make sense.  A bull 50 yards away in dark timber, I need low power and a thick reticle - a FFP reticle get smaller/thinner and tough to see on low powers.  A bull on the far side of a logging - I want a decent magnification with a thin reticle for precise aiming - a FFP reticle gets thicker as you turn up the mag.  Some people love FFP scopes on hunting rigs, I just can't warm up to them.  I love my Steiner military 4-16 FFP on my tactical competition rig though!

Offline Mark251

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2016, 06:49:09 PM »
I love the Leupold scopes.  Either a new VX-1 or a used VX-2 is a great way to go....  Good luck!

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2016, 08:21:30 PM »
Cabelas has the Burris MTAC 30 4.5-14x42 w/AO on sale for $229 regular price is $549.  I have a couple of these scopes now and for that kind of money, I don't know of anything better.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2016, 08:50:42 PM »
Cabelas has the Burris MTAC 30 4.5-14x42 w/AO on sale for $229 regular price is $549.  I have a couple of these scopes now and for that kind of money, I don't know of anything better.

Other than the fact that Burris scopes are heavy... 

IDK, just give me a Leupold on my big game rifle and I am just fine with it.  It could be a VX1 3-9 and I would be good.  I use a VX3i in 2.5-10, but a VX1 would be what I would go for if that is what my budget suggested and would not feel that I could have done better. 

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2016, 11:39:51 PM »

Other than the fact that Burris scopes are heavy... 

IDK, just give me a Leupold on my big game rifle and I am just fine with it.  It could be a VX1 3-9 and I would be good.  I use a VX3i in 2.5-10, but a VX1 would be what I would go for if that is what my budget suggested and would not feel that I could have done better.

The only centerfires I'm using them on is a couple AR's and probably one is going on the CZ 527 that I still have sitting doing nothing.  I've spoiled all my other centerfires with NF NXS optics.

I have a two Vari X III 4.5-14x40 on a couple rimefires and a Leupy AR MOD1 3-9x40 on my daughters M&P 15-22, to my eyes, these new Burris 4.5-14x42's are definitely better.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]