collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colockum? bull poached  (Read 6895 times)

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Colockum? bull poached
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 10:22:30 PM »
Don't take this as a excuse but is it possible someone gut shot it, couldn't find it because it ran off and dropped into the canal, then it floated away before they saw it, only to be found by someone later that jumped in and cut off the cap?
[/quote very possible.

Offline BGLEMIN

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »
Don't take this as a excuse but is it possible someone gut shot it, couldn't find it because it ran off and dropped into the canal, then it floated away before they saw it, only to be found by someone later that jumped in and cut off the cap?
Yes those situations happen. If it is poaching though, perfect example of unethical.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 11:00:48 PM »
I just don't get it.  Either someone really likes antlers, or they are worth a lot of money.
antlers are worth a lot I think. If nothing more jewelry, but think some Chinese medicine can be made by them too.
fricking disgusting.
Just like bear gall bladders are worth tons of money chines medicine stuff. :bash:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »
That is really horrible, I'd like to see that poacher get scalped!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 11:38:25 PM »
:yeah: could of been yeah. didn't think about that but yeah.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 12:26:02 AM »

Maybe I'm more of on optimist but that was my first thought. I can't see someone poaching an elk with a gut shot just to take the antlers after it falls in the canal. Also after a few days in the water an arrow shot through the guts could look very similar to a bullet wound. I find it funny that so many people immediately jump to negative conclusions  I have been wrong plenty bug generally give people the benefit of doubt.

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 07:10:15 AM »
That sucks..
If its brown knock it down

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 07:20:35 AM »
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 07:25:45 AM »
This sucks, if poaching was the root.  Why do people not care? S*it like this ruins future hunting opportunities for all of us; and our kids. Someone could have fully harvested that animal for their family/friends...Don't we all wish we could have caught this idiot in the act?  I had the unfortunate event of driving down the state route towards Raymond one year; and when we pulled off and started heading up the logging road we thought we spotted elk right on the back edge of clear cut in the timber line.  So we glassed over and to our dismay, there were two cows dead, that had been literally "propped" into a leaning position against a tree and were tied to the trees. So it made it look like they were alive.  WDFW had been contacted. Because of that and dumping, many gates were locked from then on.  I hate stupid people! We all definitely here hate stupid people that call themselves "outdoorsman/hunters".
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • elkhornarchers
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
They actually have to pick up dozens of deer and elk every year out of the canel, along with all sorts of other things, think some one just lost this one as they get stuck in the siphons and pop out days later, the elk have a hard time getting out once they get in hoofs and concrete walls don't work so well, were its not lined they get out just fine. 2 rescue divers drowned  in the lower valley a few years ago trying to recover cars that were dumped in it, its really swift.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 08:07:23 AM »

Very possible situation. Only way to answer that would be is it an arrow hole or bullet hole? Not a lot of people able to legally hunt that unit with firearms right now  :dunno:

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »
You would think WdFW might want to fish it out and see if the can recover a bullet from the carcass. Then if they get a tip they got some evidence to match it up to a rifle.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »

Maybe I'm more of on optimist but that was my first thought. I can't see someone poaching an elk with a gut shot just to take the antlers after it falls in the canal. Also after a few days in the water an arrow shot through the guts could look very similar to a bullet wound. I find it funny that so many people immediately jump to negative conclusions  I have been wrong plenty bug generally give people the benefit of doubt.

Agreed. Lots of keyboard judges, juries and executioners here.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand