collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Predator Advise?  (Read 2237 times)

Offline YoungGun9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Predator Advise?
« on: September 23, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I just got into predator hunting after buying a new AR-15, spot lights, and a fox pro. It seems that every time I am out upland bird hunting, I run into yotes. I just haven't had any luck when I actually set up for them. Last weekend elk hunting I saw a bobcat, but it disappeared before I could get a shot with my bow. Does anyone have any tips for calling/making stands/or locations that may hold some bobcats or coyotes? I recently have been using the cottontail distress call and yote locator howls and have gotten responses, but they never came in. I normally let the call go for 5 minutes then wait about 10 and do it again. The areas I am hunting seem to have predators, I just can't get them in.  :dunno:

If anyone has any pointers for a rookie that would be much appreciated! Go Cougs! :tup:

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
Re: Predator Advise?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 02:10:35 PM »
Couple of basic things you may or may not already know, so if I am stating the obvious, appolgies.

The wind is your enemy.  Always be mindful of it and try to set up so you have a clear area to shoot as soon as the critter moves downwind, because they will always trust their nose over everything else.

Hide the ride! When you enter your hunting area, make sure you get well away from your rig or have it completly out of view of any approaching critters.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline YoungGun9

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
Yah I have been doing all that. I think the basin yotes must be pretty educated, cause it seems like quite a few people are chasing them around. How long do you normally call into an area, before packing up and changing locations?

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
Over here on the Westside, it is a whole different environment, not as open as yourside, so never having hunted in that type terrain, don't really think I could offer much.

Lot of experienced folks on here with experience in your area, give them some time and I am sure they will chim in.

Have you checked any of the youtube videos or any of the predator hunting videos like from Primos and others? 

Granted, they make it look easy, but lots of good usefull information to be had as well.

The whole "Hide the ride" part should be a no-brainer, right??

Wellll... Sometime back in the 1990's, two of us were sitting on a hound box in the back of my truck running the caller just to "See what happens!" 

Bad idea!!

Had a coyote come blasting out out the brush of an overgrown logging spur at a full run towards us, slide to a stop and pratically turn itself inside out and left faster than it came in...lesson learned the hard way!!

Good luck!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:56:22 PM by Blacktail Sniper »
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 03:22:36 PM »
To go along with the hide the vehicle, sneak into your stands and make sure you don't skyline yourself going in. If the yotes are hanging, change your sounds. I usually call for about 1/2 hour before I move to make a another stand. Also for me, using a decoy with my e-caller has worked wonders.

Offline Instinct

• yeep
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
For me I try an set up in a cross wind setting the call an de oy upwind from me 50yards out an 50 yards up wind from where I'm positioned. I usually go with bird in distress especially when upland bird season is going on.

Offline waoutdoorsman

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 11:50:59 PM »
I try to set up with the sun at my back and hide in the shadows if possible-along with good down wind visibility. Id rather the incoming coyote be looking into the sun than me. Also i try to pick a spot to sit thats very comfortable so i don't move around or fidget trying to get comfortable, and if its against a tree to break up my outline even better.

Ive had good luck at locating packs with a young coyote pup howl this time of year and then moving in closer  for the setup with prey sounds.
All my bobcat encounters have been on the west side so i can't help to much there, but everything I've read indicates they prefer cover and to set up in areas that provide cover for a bobcat to come in whether it be a fence line or a brushy draw. Im still learning my self so i don't have much advise to give. Good luck and happy hunting!
Chupacabra: Spanish for mangy coyote.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand