collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: diesel motor help please!  (Read 16100 times)

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: diesel motor help please!
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 05:07:29 PM »
First I would like to say the 7.3L motor is a magnificent motor when taken care of. I know guy's beating the piss out of them in the oil fields and some of them have 400,000 or more miles on them. One I know of a guy couldn't get anyone to buy because it has 740,000 miles! :o I have a 99 powerstroke that is always hard to even get to fire when it's 55 degree's or cooler out. I know it needs an oil change badly and it needs a new fuel filter. I just haven't had time to do them. Your truck is probably needing the same thing's. Replace the fuel filter, change the oil, and maybe last buy a new set of injector's. Don't go buy a set of oversized injector's either. Just buy stock one's. :tup:

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 05:15:13 PM »
If it'll start and run, you can keep the Accelerator floored for a few seconds, that'll change the oil in the hpop.

It'll also help move oil through the head galleys, air in the fuel is hard on injectors, but it'll run. Air in the oil will cause it to shut down.

Try to hold over 1500 rpm, occasionally going to redline, for 30 seconds or so, if it gets better, drive the living piss out of it, get the air out of the oil system that way.

today the longest i got it to run was 15 seconds and as soon as you get on the pedal it dies

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 05:17:26 PM »
First I would like to say the 7.3L motor is a magnificent motor when taken care of. I know guy's beating the piss out of them in the oil fields and some of them have 400,000 or more miles on them. One I know of a guy couldn't get anyone to buy because it has 740,000 miles! :o I have a 99 powerstroke that is always hard to even get to fire when it's 55 degree's or cooler out. I know it needs an oil change badly and it needs a new fuel filter. I just haven't had time to do them. Your truck is probably needing the same thing's. Replace the fuel filter, change the oil, and maybe last buy a new set of injector's. Don't go buy a set of oversized injector's either. Just buy stock one's. :tup:

I'm betting your issue is the injectors, how old are they?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »

well i bought it used with 212,000 miles on it so i dont know how it was taken care of but when i bought it, it started easy ran smooth and didnt smoke. I replaced the filter today. for whatever reason it will run but only after i let it sit for awhile and then only just temporary

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 05:20:07 PM »
i have no idea how old they are, You think maybe the injectors got plugged up or ruined when i let it sit?

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2016, 05:31:30 PM »

If those injectors are original it's time to replace them.

That being said, the fact that it starts at all and runs tells me that although the injectors may need to be replaced, it's doubtful it's a injector issue. My comment was addressed at Dennis, his starting issue is likely old injectors.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »
When it comes time to replace them http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/stock-replacement/ford-94-97-injectors.htm these guys were great to deal with.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »
cant afford injectors now, and im going to get laid off nov 5th. If i could get the truck running decent i could cut enough firewood to get injectors. I'll try changing the oil in the truck and hpop and see if that will help some

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 05:37:33 PM »
When it comes time to replace them http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/stock-replacement/ford-94-97-injectors.htm these guys were great to deal with.

thankyou! ill keep that for when i can get some money together

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
cant afford injectors now, and im going to get laid off nov 5th. If i could get the truck running decent i could cut enough firewood to get injectors. I'll try changing the oil in the truck and hpop and see if that will help some

HPOP is not cheap either http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/stock-replacement/ford-94-97-oil-pump.htm I'd not replace it unless you know it's bad. :twocents:

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2016, 06:12:50 PM »
Hmm I thought 94's were 6.0ltr ?

That would be 04

whoops typo ... meant 04 arent 04's 6.0?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2016, 06:19:16 PM »

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »

That would be 04

Correct

That's what I thought ... then the OP might get farther with you tube by punching in 6.0 problems rather than 7.3.
In the first post he says he refers to his 7.3 but the 04's are 6.0's and they have been known to have lots of problems that the 7.3's did not. There will be plenty of vids of 6.0's  ;)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2016, 08:25:45 PM »

That would be 04

Correct

That's what I thought ... then the OP might get farther with you tube by punching in 6.0 problems rather than 7.3.
In the first post he says he refers to his 7.3 but the 04's are 6.0's and they have been known to have lots of problems that the 7.3's did not. There will be plenty of vids of 6.0's  ;)
In his first post he says that his truck is a 1994, which is why he said the engine is a 7.3L

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]