collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting with a muzzy for the first time  (Read 7026 times)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Hunting with a muzzy for the first time
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 06:21:06 AM »

unloading...  just fire into a tree or the ground... or if you want the rich peoples way, there are CO2 kits that attach at the nipple and push the charge out with compressed gas... a lot of the newer rifles come with a removable breach plug, if thats the case you can remove the breach and using your ram rod push it out....

good luck :)

I am able to remove the breech plug on my gun. I was wondering if it's okay to use the bullet and sabot? Obviously if not shot.
Thanks!

I would reuse the bullet. But not the sabot. It will have rifling marks in it. May affect accuracy.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 07:55:58 AM »
Hypothetically speaking  :rolleyes: One could say placing small piece of electrical tape over it works great because if in case "someone" shows up you can quickly just peel it off before inspection.

Why would you want to "quickly peel it off?"

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 09:10:48 AM »
Hypothetically speaking  :rolleyes: One could say placing small piece of electrical tape over it works great because if in case "someone" shows up you can quickly just peel it off before inspection.

Bobcat,

Do you think it is legal to cover the "opening" on a muzzleloader breech with tape? I could see it going either way with a Game Warden in the field, unless there is some sort of legal precedent that has ruled it to be legal that I'm unaware of.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »
I'm all for open sights but the whole open breech plug thing is kind of ridiculous! Closed breech but require musket caps and open sights would still be sporting and traditional

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 09:35:50 AM »

Bobcat,

Do you think it is legal to cover the "opening" on a muzzleloader breech with tape? I could see it going either way with a Game Warden in the field, unless there is some sort of legal precedent that has ruled it to be legal that I'm unaware of.
I thought it had to be part of the gun that prevented exposure to the elements that made it not legal.  So as long as it is something like tape, wax, glue that isn't part of the design of the gun it should be okay.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
Finger condoms work great for the barrel and I always put a little electrical tape over the nipple. I never unloaded my hawken unless it was really wet that day, what I did do EVERY MORNING was remove the nipple run a piece of strip phone wire through the nipple hole and then dropped a few brains of powder in the nipple hole before screwing the nipple back in, never once did I have a hang fire or a no fire.. Not once which is very rare in the hawken world :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »

Bobcat,

Yes I do. There's nothing that says you can't cover up any part of your muzzleloader in order to keep water out. You can wrap the entire gun in Saran Wrap if you wish.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 05:08:41 AM »
i was kind of curious about that myself.  the sticky point(at least last i saw in the regs) is that you can't have anything "mechanical" covering up the breech.  sort of sounds like tape may or may not fall into a gray area there.  i'd be worried about running into a warden looking to make an example of me.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]