collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: les schwab junk  (Read 20564 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: les schwab junk
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
Ok my guess was off according to Alcoa it's a 33.3 lb weight save per wheel but then again they are forged wheels not cast.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:33:16 PM by Special T »
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »
Rotational mass has a much higher value than static mass
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
Rotational mass has a much higher value than static mass

Much higher.  Not only in acceleration and deceleration, but in all other performance measures known collectively as "handling" as well. 

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2016, 09:20:05 PM »
Spoke with corp office guy today. He said an invoice is not required for a structural part failure and they will fix the situation. I explained I don't have any confidence in the quality of the product and asked they try to find me a used factory take off to replace the Fuel Off Road Wheels. He said he will work on it and will refund my money spent on a wheel and if they can't get factory rims for me, replace the Fuel wheel at no charge. Glad they did me right but, not happy I had to spend so much effort to get them to do the right thing when they already knew they can send anything back to the manufacturer a get their own refund.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
I thought Les Schwab sold beef.

Beef was free! Come on! Lol
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
Just to jump in on the thread. I've been a Les Schwab customer for 20+ years. No complaints here. Just outfitted 2 rigs in the last week. Two with new rubber and one with new struts.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2016, 10:30:24 PM »
Les shwab is the easy " high schoolers lift/tire/wheel credit...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2016, 10:31:44 PM »
Spoke with corp office guy today. He said an invoice is not required for a structural part failure and they will fix the situation. I explained I don't have any confidence in the quality of the product and asked they try to find me a used factory take off to replace the Fuel Off Road Wheels. He said he will work on it and will refund my money spent on a wheel and if they can't get factory rims for me, replace the Fuel wheel at no charge. Glad they did me right but, not happy I had to spend so much effort to get them to do the right thing when they already knew they can send anything back to the manufacturer a get their own refund.

True story.  In the future do some independent research and see if you agree with me if you want to drive home at freeway speeds on cast alloy wheels you have subjected to off road usage where they are stressed to the max. 

Forged Alcoa wheels are something completely different in what you can expect in a wheel failure.  They deform, much like a steel wheel, and do not fail catastrophically when stressed beyond their load capacity.  A casting can end up with micro cracking but remain intact, yet be leaking air and... a low tire generates a HUGE amount of heat and then if the crack opens up at 70 mph a crack can open and you experience a blowout that wraps the tire around the axle and the wheel just flies to pieces at the same time leaving your vehicle, which if it is 4wd has a higher center of gravity anyway, and it pitches all the way down to the brake rotor or drum and that often results in roll over crash.

Yes, they have the look, and yes they are strong enough to carry heavy loads, but when they are compromised catastrophic failure as opposed to a deformed (bent) wheel is how they fail. 

I am not saying forged alloy wheels are stronger, cast wheels may or may not be, but when they fail they don't look and perform like an undamaged wheel.  They may look fine, but they have cracks that you may not be aware of until you make that sudden move to miss a deer or a broken down vehicle that stopped in front of you and making that turning or braking move may be all it takes for "all hell to break loose" at 70 mph. 

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2016, 06:52:15 AM »
Same reason I'm not a fan of Ruger revolvers.
I'll take forging over casting every time.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2016, 07:18:40 AM »
I buy wheels and tires from Purcell Tire only. I had the same problem with my new wheels cracking. They replaced all wheels with a different brand and even through in a new Michelin LTX tire so my spare was the same size as the rest. That's service..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2016, 07:24:40 AM »
Being in the car fixing business, at this point in my career it would take me more than 1 hand to count the number of fracked aftermarket aluminum wheels i have seen. If you ask me, it's usually the wrong application that the wheels are being used in that causes it to happen. Probably, they shouldn't sell those inferior wheels to fit on these big heavy trucks. I see an F350 with a 10' camper in the bed towing a boat rolling on some a/m aluminum wheels at 70 on I-90 over the pass and all I can think about are the cracks.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
Well, I want to post a whole bunch of cuss words here. I had them order a bfg for the replacement wheel for a full size spare. Then he says, $600. Nope, they are only crediting one of the wheels that broke. Wanted me to pay for the second one that broke. I was going to pay their price for the tire, which was $60 more than dealer price just to be done with it all.

I'm so pissed off at these lying corporate guy and store manager. Thu said I would be credited for the first wheel, $212 and they will replace the second broken wheel. I said, "you do that my trailer needs new tires ill get it all at once" great, deal.

Well, today no deal. After a 2 hour wait to put on the wheel i dropped off a week ago. That's a total of 11 hours of squatting in a Schwab store and all they ever did was mount one tire.

Never ever again. The people are nice but, when a company manages their business like this they do not deserve anyone's business. Period. And they over price which is just taking advantage of every old grandma who trusted the real Les when he was alive.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:33:20 PM by Happy Gilmore »
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »
sounds like you need to call that corporate guy again   :sry:

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »
sounds like you need to call that corporate guy again   :sry:

Apparently the store manager talked to him this am. I've left him two messages today.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
Getting the shcwab brakes torn of and replaced today can't wait for the shutter to stop

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]