collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzleloader Hunters  (Read 20843 times)

Offline BnB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Muzzleloader Hunters
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 09:11:09 AM »
Assuming the gun was not legal, you might get 3. Illegal weapon, illegal tagging and if he took the head off he had to leave evidence of sex attached. That's a good point about maybe some of the wardens are not up on the regs or maybe they are legal and I just missed it. Wouldn't be the first time.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 09:33:25 AM »
Sealed breech muzzleloaders with 209 primer ignitions are DEFINITELY illegal during muzzleloader season. No doubt about that. The only question that I now have is are they also illegal during modern firearm season (deer & elk) and bear season.

In your scenario, I don't see where there is three violations. I would say only one: the illegal muzzleloader. How did he tag it illegally? Because the tag was on the antlers? That's where I always put my tag.

You didn't say he did not leave evidence of sex attached. I would assume that if somebody removes the head, then he would have left evidence of sex on one of the hind quarters. But you're right, if he didn't do that, then that would be violation number 2.

Offline BnB

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 10:35:27 AM »
Could be 3. The weapon. If you take the head off you must tag the biggest portion of the meat. Tag stays with the meat. At the processor, if you use one, and in your freezer. Page 59. There might be a good chance that if the head was removed and tagged, evidence of sex might not have been left. I always had put my tag on the antlers or through the ear if it was a cow or a doe. I was going on a hunt in Oregon I think it was, and saw that in their regs and just checked Wa and there it was. Don't know how long it had been that way but we had always tagged the head. I wonder if you could call the removed head  part of the carcass? Still tag has to stay with the meat.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 11:09:25 AM »
As long as you keep the head and the rest of the carcass in the same place, it doesn't matter where the tag is. I always leave it on the antlers, until I get it home.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 05:28:11 PM »
So I think I see what you are saying.
Maybe the regs mean "muzzle loader" as in the traditional sense..period. Even in modern, restricted or bear seasons.

Hhmm..
Well if I decide to ML for bear this spring I will be using a Thompson Center Gray Hawk in 50 cal. So there will be no probs, but I had considered buying an inline (209 Primer) for bear and firearm restricted areas. Not sure anymore.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 05:32:08 PM »
Im pretty sure you can use the 209 deal on any hunt that a modern rifle could be used.  I mean why the hell not its just a less efficient weapon and your not hurting anyone else???
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »
Im pretty sure you can use the 209 deal on any hunt that a modern rifle could be used.  I mean why the hell not its just a less efficient weapon and your not hurting anyone else???

I thought so too, but can you find where it says that anywhere in the regulations?

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 06:13:31 PM »
WAC 232-12-051 Muzzleloading firearms. (1) It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm during muzzleloading seasons which does not meet the following specification for a muzzleloader. A muzzleloading firearm is loaded from the muzzle and uses black powder or a black powder substitute as recommended by the manufacturer for use in muzzleloading firearms. A muzzleloading firearm has a single or double barrel of at least 20 inches, rifled or smooth-bored. Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion using original style percussion caps that fit on the nipple and are exposed to the elements. Shot shell and 209 primers are not legal.

" It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm during muzzleloading seasons which does not meet the following specification for a muzzleloader"

If you are not hunting during a muzzleloading season it does not matter per the law above.

This law does not make any mention of Archery tackle during muzzleloader either it simply states if you use a firearm it must be such.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:22:53 PM by Wash-out »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »
I looked at that earlier today, and I did see where it says "during muzzleloader seasons."

But if you look at modern firearm deer and elk seasons, it says "modern firearm, archery, and muzzleloader equipment must meet equipment regulations on page 55."

Look on page 13 and page 33 in the big game pamphlet.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 06:35:15 PM »
This is from WAC 232-28-248:

FIREARM RESTRICTION AREAS

The firearm restriction areas listed below have been established by the Fish and Wildlife Commission. Centerfire and rimfire rifles are not legal for hunting in any of these areas.

In firearm restriction areas, hunters may hunt only during the season allowed by their tag. Archery tag holders may hunt during archery seasons with archery equipment. Muzzleloaders may hunt during muzzleloader seasons with muzzleloader equipment. Modern firearm tag holders may hunt during modern firearm seasons with bows and arrows, muzzleloaders or revolver-type handguns meeting the equipment restrictions or legal shotguns firing slugs or buckshot.

I don't see anywhere in there where it says muzzleloaders do not have to meet the muzzleloader regulations.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 05:32:55 AM »
Bobcat.. also notice where it states "revolver-type handguns meeting the equipment restrictions".
So the way I read that WAC is revolvers have to meet the restrictions for handguns, but MLs don't have to meet any equipment restrictions when hunting firearm restricted areas during modern firearm season.

I know the regs pamphlet we get it not a comprehensive nor complete listing of all the rules, but a little less "legalese" would be nice.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 07:35:59 AM »
Billy, yeah, actually I think I put in bold the wrong part of that WAC. The part you quoted is what applies to this discussion, but you need to look at the entire sentence:

Modern firearm tag holders may hunt during modern firearm seasons with bows and arrows, muzzleloaders or revolver-type handguns meeting the equipment restrictions or legal shotguns firing slugs or buckshot.

To me that is saying that a modern firearm tag holder may hunt during modern firearm season in a firearm restriction area with a muzzleloader that meets equimpment restrictions. Which, since it doesn't say otherwise, I would have to assume it is referring to the muzzleloader restrictions shown on page 55 of the big game regulations.

Just like in the same pamphlet it says for modern firearm deer and elk seasons a muzzleloader can be used but it must meet the restrictions on page 55. I'm not saying the WDFW really intends for this to be the case, but if you interpret the law strictly as it is written, it looks to me like to hunt with a muzzleloader it ALWAYS has to meet the muzzleloader restrictions. Maybe I will email the WDFW and see if I can get an answer.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »

Maybe I will email the WDFW and see if I can get an answer.

Good luck!
Over the last 2 years I have left 3 messages with Big Game/Fur Bearer and 2 messages with Trapper Education and have never even gotten a message back.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 08:53:11 AM »
WAC 232-12-047
Unlawful firearms for hunting. 
  (1) It is unlawful to hunt any big game with:

(a) A fully automatic firearm.

(b) A centerfire cartridge less than 22 caliber for cougar.

(c) A centerfire cartridge less than 24 caliber for any other big game.

(d) A shotgun, provided that a 20 gauge, or larger shotgun, using shells loaded with slugs or buckshot size #1 or larger, may be used to hunt deer, bear, and cougar.

(e) A shotgun for any other big game, except that a 12 gauge or 10 gauge shotgun using slugs may be used.

(f) A handgun that does not meet the following criteria: Have a minimum barrel length of four inches, per manufacturer's specification, and fire a centerfire cartridge.

(g) Any rimfire cartridge.

(2) It is unlawful to hunt game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells.

(3) It is unlawful to hunt game birds or game animals, except bullfrogs, in a manner other than with a firearm, a bow and arrow, or by falconry, except persons with disabilities may use a crossbow with a special use permit as conditioned in WAC 232-12-054.

(4) It is unlawful to hunt game animals or game birds with a shotgun larger than 10 gauge.

(5) It is unlawful to hunt game birds with a rifle or pistol, with the exception of blue grouse, spruce grouse and ruffed grouse.

Makes no mention of inline ML's.  As long as it meets the other requirements it must be legal.

Offline Bubba

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 06:47:45 AM »
Hi I am new to this forum and I have been hunting with a muzzleloader since 95 and having a great time.  I have taken deer, elk, hog and buffalo with mine. I shoot a  T/C black mountain magnum, they don't make them any more but it ia a great rifle. On the 3rd of May I will be in Shoshone Ihado for another hog hunt and on the 1st of December a buffalo hunt south of Bozeman, Mt.  If you have any questions I will be glad to help if I can.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal