collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lil buck down  (Read 3386 times)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Lil buck down
« on: September 26, 2016, 06:48:46 PM »
Not me, but the brother in law put him down. Story of this lil guy actually started last year. The area we hunted we began to see this pair, looked like twins, of whitetails. Little ones with no momma to teach them to run away. They would be in the same are day after day and not run off. Fast forward to this year, headed out last week to our area. Had a fairly normal first hunt, saw some deer, no shots, and began to head back. Coming down the hill there we spot a deer. Almost exactly where those two little ones were. We look, notice it is a spike. In this area this is a legal buck. He is just up the hill, having a bit of this and that. I hop out and take a few steps toward him and he is without a care. I get him perfectly broadside and clip in. I watch him, he looks at me, I do nothing. Bro in law is in the truck and I can see he is going nuts that I haven't laid him out. I stood there for 3 minutes. I passed. Just decided that at that time it was more important to me to let him pass. I'm sure many have had that moment but it simply was not important to me to kill him. So...one I put my arrow away bro in law gets out and proceeds to kill the tree just beyond the little guy. Good clean kill shot and the broadhead is still lodged deep in that tree. Little guy runs off and I take a bit of flak for passing. So, next morning I only have a doe come in to my blind and she gets a pass also. Had her dead to rights at 17 yards and probably would have plugged her (legal deer also) but didn't get around to making the final call prior to her walking off. Brother in law picks me up and says guess what, there are two spikes, virtually identical, on the hill. We decide that is must be the twins from last year. Even then, I said that without a mama to teach them to be weary they won't last a season. Well, they didn't. The next day or so there was a gut pile in the clearing and only one spike to be seen. Bro in law saw him but no shot. Fast forward to Saturday morning and we decide to give it a go and see if we can spot the spike again. Last full day in camp so we are a bit less picky. We get out early and get at the bottom of the hill. One pass up, no deer. 2nd pass we have a truck coming up as we come down and I think well, must not be out there. Sure enough, right where we expect I say well theres a deer now. Bro in law gets in position and I range him at about 45, he trots off just a bit and bro in law uses a few trees and gets in position. Has him dead to rights broadside and lets fly. I was watching with the glass and thought he missed. Arrow is left in the ground and the lil guy runs up up up, slows, and tips over backwards. About a minute goes by and I see him lift his head one last time, go stiff legged, and then relaxes and is gone. We hike up with the sled to bring him down and see that the shot was a perfect double lung, 40 yard shot, right in and out between the ribs. Somebody also gave him a nice slice in the brisket in the two days since my pass and his arrow. Just through the hide and barely into the fat. Nice first buck for the brother in law and a perfect shot was made. Here he is with his deer and also, my favorite pic of the lake one morning waiting for the coffee to kick in and get to heading out.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Lil buck down
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:25:01 PM »
 :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline HvyHorn338

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »
Congrats to you guys.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:25:24 AM »
Nice spike.  Congrats  :tup:

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:29:13 AM »
That should be a great eating buck.
Also, awesome picture of the lake!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
Good job guys, i am surprised those 2 lasted this long. Wanna know there names  :chuckle:

i can almost see my place through the fog...
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:32:31 PM »
That beard is looking kinda sexy.

Offline Mark251

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman