collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Flocked deks  (Read 3307 times)

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Flocked deks
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
Just picked up a dozen avian x topflight decoys, with flocked drake heads.  What do yall do to keep the flocking from coming off?  I've heard mixed stories about using socks.  So, what is the best??

Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
Re: Flocked deks
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
Don't use socks.  Get individual bags (nylon laundry bags work well) to put them in, then put them in a slotted decoy bag.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:31:15 PM »
Use a slotted decoy bag, plan on reflocking in a year or two depending on how hard you are on them. It's pretty easy and doesn't take too much time for duck decoys.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:21:45 PM »
I just quit getting flocked decoys.  Made it a lot easier and we couldn't tell the difference it made.  We still shot our limits.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline EWUeagles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 07:27:03 AM »
Use a slotted decoy bag, plan on reflocking in a year or two depending on how hard you are on them. It's pretty easy and doesn't take too much time for duck decoys.

This but you should easily get 5 years or so out of the flocked heads. I have no idea how the Avian X flocking will hold up though since this is the first time they have offered flocked head decoys.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »

This but you should easily get 5 years or so out of the flocked heads. I have no idea how the Avian X flocking will hold up though since this is the first time they have offered flocked head decoys.

I have never had a flocked decoy that gets used frequently last 5 years.  They usually show pretty good wear by the end of the season unfortunately.
Cut em!

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »

I have never had a flocked decoy that gets used frequently last 5 years.  They usually show pretty good wear by the end of the season unfortunately.

Everyone uses their decoys differently. My season could be 5 trips all in a boat and yours could be 35 trips all pack in hunts. Your decoys would show way more wear than mine would. My Don Mintz were five year old when I sold them and they showed very little wear. I think they had about 15 boats trips on them per season.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »

Everyone uses their decoys differently. My season could be 5 trips all in a boat and yours could be 35 trips all pack in hunts. Your decoys would show way more wear than mine would. My Don Mintz were five year old when I sold them and they showed very little wear. I think they had about 15 boats trips on them per season.

Very true!  Little use, little to light wear.  I think the 80+ hunts a season are rough on them.
Cut em!

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
80+ hunts a season, wow.  I can only wish to do that much.  Even hunting upland, waterfowl and grouse I don't get even close to 80.  Maybe when I retire, lol
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 07:45:49 AM »

Very true!  Little use, little to light wear.  I think the 80+ hunts a season are rough on them.

Haha yep your 1 year equals my 5 years!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 07:55:55 AM »
retired people don't even get out that much.

Offline shorthair-on-point

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 09:08:36 AM »
I just quit getting flocked decoys.  Made it a lot easier and we couldn't tell the difference it made.  We still shot our limits.

I agree. I am sure on certain days they help but I found they weren't worth the extra work. I can't do 80 trips a year but I do 30 and even at that they really needed to be re-flocked after a year and definitely after 2 years. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal