collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Favorite hunting clothes?  (Read 7127 times)

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
Re: Favorite hunting clothes?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
what time of year?
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 05:54:42 AM »
I prefer a loincloth and a dab of paint  :IBCOOL:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 06:16:33 AM »
I certainly don't miss those days of buying my clothes at value village or the army surplus.  Wearing cotton shirts and never being dry all day, no thanks. Don't forget how heavy your old wool pants are when soaking wet, I find myself much more comfortable and dry nowadays.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:28:38 AM by trophyhunt »
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:31:21 AM »
I wear old school BDU bottoms from the army in the early 90s and a filson red plaid jacket if it isn't raining and my rivers west jacket if it is !! Works great and not overly expensive
:chuckle: the only thing I can agree with here is the army BDU's, BUT only when you know it's completely dry out.  I've had my BDU's ever since I was in my 20's, 20 years later they are still going strong, but not for wet weather.  And if you walk in rivers west, fu-get aboot it, you will be soaked in sweat.  Someday jackmaster will take his training wheels off and join us big boys in the real clothing department!!  :chuckle: :IBCOOL:
or maybe I ain't rich like you so I can't afford that rich stuff or mostly it's because I ain't as much as a puss as you :tup: summer BDU,s may get wet but they dry in a very short amount of time and as far as my rivers west jacket, you don't hike in it, get to where I am going, cool down and put it on over a clean dry tshirt, if your sweating your moving way to fast anyways :tup: but maybe someday if I am lucky I will be the accomplished blacktail hunter you are :tup: but I am probably just dreaming :chuckle: and it's a good thing this thread was individual opinion :tup:
When you feel like stepping up to the plate and letting your boys drop, I have a kuiu brochure on my desk you can look at.                              :chuckle: 8) :chuckle:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 06:37:13 AM »
I wear old school BDU bottoms from the army in the early 90s and a filson red plaid jacket if it isn't raining and my rivers west jacket if it is !! Works great and not overly expensive
:chuckle: the only thing I can agree with here is the army BDU's, BUT only when you know it's completely dry out.  I've had my BDU's ever since I was in my 20's, 20 years later they are still going strong, but not for wet weather.  And if you walk in rivers west, fu-get aboot it, you will be soaked in sweat.  Someday jackmaster will take his training wheels off and join us big boys in the real clothing department!!  :chuckle: :IBCOOL:
or maybe I ain't rich like you so I can't afford that rich stuff or mostly it's because I ain't as much as a puss as you :tup: summer BDU,s may get wet but they dry in a very short amount of time and as far as my rivers west jacket, you don't hike in it, get to where I am going, cool down and put it on over a clean dry tshirt, if your sweating your moving way to fast anyways :tup: but maybe someday if I am lucky I will be the accomplished blacktail hunter you are :tup: but I am probably just dreaming :chuckle: and it's a good thing this thread was individual opinion :tup:
When you feel like stepping up to the plate and letting your boys drop, I have a kuiu brochure on my desk you can look at.                              :chuckle: 8) :chuckle:
thats it? Your not going to give me a few hundred bucks to go with that brochure? Kinda selfish ain't ya? :chuckle:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 06:45:45 AM »
thats it? Your not going to give me a few hundred bucks to go with that brochure? Kinda selfish ain't ya? :chuckle:
I'm pretty sure financially we are twins!! I know, don't buy any chew for 1 month and put that towards the best pair of pants you've ever worn.  :tup:

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 06:50:31 AM »
I didn't read all of the comments but I'm probably just parroting what's already been said. I used to wear cotton jean style camo pants but I would wear them out quickly so I switched to green Dickey work pants similar to carharts. They were tough and lasted forever but not real comfortable, when they got wet it was pure misery. For elk season I wore the old style heavy wool pants which really worked great but my god were they uncomfortable and ITCHY!!! LOL. A few years ago the weather was just brutal and I teally suffered. Brutal cold and windy plus lot's of rain showers so I was always cold and wet. During late buck season it was in the 0-10 range and windy. I had to dress like the little brother on Christmas Story. I decided I had to give these premium clithing lines a try. Holy crap was I amazed!!!!

My favorite is Firstlight. I believe they have the best merino wool hands down. The Kanabs are awesome although I wear synthetics in the early season. The Uncompaghre is unbelievable.

For the synthetics I prefer Kuiu but I do own some sitka. There ascent pants are unbelievably comfortable. The way kuiu and sitka cut the wind and keep you warm and dry is incredible. Unlike cotton these pants dry quickly so your not weighed down and freezing your ars off for hours. I've worn the kuiu attacks in some really nasty conditiins and I'm extremely impressed with them.

I just bought some pants from a new player named Pnuma and they seem to be just the ticket for early season eastern wa hunting. They breath far better than the sitka ascent or the kuiu attack and I think that these guys will make there mark.

My favorite clothes I've picked up in the last few years are;

Firstlight Uncompaghre, red desert boxers, Kanab 2.0 and llano and chama tops. Highly recommend. Not to mention their socks. LoL. Love those too!

Pnuma Tenacity pants

Sitka Jetstream light jacket.

For mid season I like the kuiu line. Attack pants mixed with some of their teton stuff is really pretty good.

I wish I could get back the money I spent over the years on the crappy clothes I dropped coin on. I remember buying some wrangler camo jeans for about $60 that lasted two trips before the crotch wore through.

I'd recommend dropping the coin on any one of these brands because they are all far and away superior to anything made of cotton regardless of who makes it.

The ironybin this is that when I saw someone wearing sitka gear back in the day my buddy and I would mock these guys and make fun. "What are these guys thinking spending that much on these clothes?" in hindsight it was we who were the arsholes.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 07:09:54 AM »
I'm pretty sure financially we are twins!! I know, don't buy any chew for 1 month and put that towards the best pair of pants you've ever worn.  :tup:
:chuckle:if I did that I would probably lose my job

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 07:43:06 AM »
love my Codet wool pants, normally wear layers with a cotton hoodie (like a cabelas). very silent and all toll $ less than one piece of the modern stuff.....
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 07:56:28 AM »
I have sitka, firstlite, kennetrek, goretex, you name it.  But the best value I've seen is the cabelas microtex pants.  Not perfect, but durable and comfortable.  Don't get me wrong, i love my Sitka ascents, but the price difference doesn't justify.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »
Coach told me sweatpants, sweater and Jordan basketball shoes work really good. :dunno:

:chuckle:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »
I saw a picture of Fred Bear drawing the bow on an elk while wearing a red plaid wool shirt and wool pants. It makes me laugh when I think of the dozen or so camo shirts and pants of different warmths and styles. This guy got it done wearing everyday clothing. Pretty cool.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 08:26:31 AM »
I saw a picture of Fred Bear drawing the bow on an elk while wearing a red plaid wool shirt and wool pants. It makes me laugh when I think of the dozen or so camo shirts and pants of different warmths and styles. This guy got it done wearing everyday clothing. Pretty cool.
my pops is the same exact way, he to this day still wears his red and black filson plaid huntn coat, old beat up Levi's, and his Clint Eastwood exact replica cowboy filson black hat, it isn't black anymore though :chuckle: but he has splurged on awesome boots and his old arse still hunts from day light to dark out in the brush.. I know that is how he is gonna die and it would be the perfect way to exit for him :tup: sorry getting off topic

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 08:27:51 AM »
 :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Buzz2401

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »
Nothing is quieter then wool.  That is my main problem with the new gear.  If it is waterproof it is noisy.  Wool is far from being water proof, but I can be wet and still warm.  You also learn to stay dry.  Light rain isn't that big a deal, hard down pours find a tree and see if it passes.  I go to the store convinced I am going to purchase a new Gortex piece of gear from one of the new companies but always leave empty handed when I remember how noisy they are.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]