collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SNOW!!!!  (Read 13970 times)

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
SNOW!!!!
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:35:30 AM »
How does everyone think all this snow is going to affect things in the current year?  Do you think it is enough to get some migration going or is this just a tease that the hunting may be halfway decent this year in the cascades?  I don't recall another year where we got so much early snow.  I have no idea how much of it is actually going to stick around another week adn a half though.

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
Re: SNOW!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:41:26 AM »
we can all hope that it does stick around
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline George

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:58:30 PM »
My bet is that the does head down and the big bucks stay put until there is a real snow; 18" plus.  The snow can't hurt the General Season road hunters; at least there will more does and smaller bucks to look at. It does sound like the snow level is headed back up later in the week.

The lucky Nov. permit holders would rather see a normal autumn rather than an early migration.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
  It's GREAT for the Wa. hunts coming up, but I'm a little worried now about getting over the Rockies and Cascades in November in good time. Modfire opener may be the best in years.....

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »
snow is all over the news in stevens pass
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 07:38:31 PM »
This snow needs to back off a bit, we really don't want the big migrators to come out until Dec. :tung: :chuckle:
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »
if the snow gets worse, and it will have to get MUCH MUCH worse over the next week, and it does kick off the migration early god help all of us.....  so many bucks will be killed it will take a decade to rebuild the gene pool. it may never be the same in the migration units. i can't stand the thought of it being that easy for all the SLOB road hunters. >:( does anyone remember the last time an early snow kicked off the migration during the general season? only time i recall was about 12 years ago we hunted deep in the chiwawa, outa trinity and it snowed heavy for the week prior as well as during the hunt. the hills may as well have been alive, thats how many deer we saw.... that was a good 15 miles back in though.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 08:57:47 PM »
it has been really cold lately but it would have to be a steady cold front blast to really kick them into high gear. if the timing we have now keeps up we'll all be putting up nice pics.

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 07:02:30 AM »
If the snow sticks around, it's going to be real crunchy by opening day with the marginal temps. I'd rather see it melt and get some fresh stuff just before the opener.
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 07:32:44 AM »
I agree; I dont think there will be a major push until there gets to be a lot of snow on the ground, but we're all sitting here at our computers and who knows for sure how much they got back in the wilderness areas, i'm "guessing" its not enough yet to have any major impact.  We usually get snow every october up at our camp at 6,000ft, but that isn't until I leave because I only hunt the opening weekend, last year was horrible, if i had shorts i would have put them on, hopefully this year it is cooler, wouldn't mind some of that snow on the ground though.  Good luck to all.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 08:21:52 AM »
here's a link to the weather forecast for next week for winthrop...i just pulled a town out of my arse...
http://www.accuweather.com/forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&zipcode=98862&metric=0

and here's one for entiat...again...pulled out of my ass.
http://www.accuweather.com/forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&zipcode=98822&metric=0

i don't think we have much to worry about assuming the deer won't migrate out with 6" of snow on the ground.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
thanks jack. your always popping out real information with your sharply tuned opinion making you a viable source

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »
Go to the NOAA website where you can identify a specific lat/long and get a 1 week forecast.  Works great.

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 05:07:29 PM »
i second the noaa site. here's the address. just click the map to move the red dot around and get a "specific" forcast for certain elevations and such. to be taken with a grain of salt im sure as with most forcasts. lots of other cool chit on that site too!

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=OTX&llon=-121.301247&rlon=-119.461247&tlat=48.999584&blat=47.157084&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=152&map.y=70

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 07:51:54 PM »
here's a link to the weather forecast for next week for winthrop...i just pulled a town out of my arse...

Your forecasts stink!   :chuckle:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 02:05:43 AM »
It's been crazy wet here in Wenatchee the last 5 days.  Snow everyday up around 4000 ft or so...  I'd say those bucks that hang out around '6000-'8000 feet are getting hit pretty hard.  I think they'll move down, but not entirely to the winter range, definately out of the high country but not enough to hit up the lower entiat units... I know where I would be come the general!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 05:49:29 AM »
Whooaa Daddy! This is what I wanted to hear!!! Cant wait!!!! :drool: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Slenk

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 06:46:08 AM »
Wife and I took a little drive to Leavenworth yesterday up over 97 it snowed on us going up in the morning and on the way back in the afternoon on the pass . Was not sticking yet though .
Slenk

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 08:29:52 AM »
i hope its a strong winter starting up and not just a freak cold front.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 08:34:34 AM »
I've been in snow for the last two days.  Miserable wet son of a ......  You think this country gets wet, you should try over in the NE corner up in the Selkirks and in the Panhandle.  FREAKY weatehr, more stories to come.  I've got a couple dandies.  I saw a couple very nice bucks.  They weren't headed anywhere except for under a big tree, and away from my camera lens. Basically in that neck of the woods EVERYTHING is big, including the weather.   I just can't wait to take my minimal gear and go camp under my fly at 8000 feet.  It was so frickin nasty where I was, I didn't even bother setting up my 4 season hurricane tent.  the cab was just fine.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »
Friend went up earlier this week hiking in the Teanaway and said there was about 4-5 inches of now at the 6,000ft level

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »
Sounds like the Methow is white.

Offline 50CalJim

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • 5th yr in a row I've drawn a Special Permit.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »
I sure hope you,re right about the snow, I'm leaving about 3:00 am to get over Cascade pass & do some muzzy hunting up around the Black pine lk area. :hunter: :guns:

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 10:32:09 PM »
im headin out at 430 to do some checkin on the deer camp. i'll let y'all know what i find around 5500ft north of leavenworth. im expecting white and crunchy with a few muzzy hunters thrown in for good measure..... good luck to all on the last scouting weekend before the opener!

Offline FWilliams

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »
was up above 410 towards Bald mt.  the snow that was there was melting, but it looks like more on the way....Can't hardly wait till opener

Fred

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »
this is awsome now i have to figure out were i'm heading. first year i get to go any were i want. i'll be in my wall tent were ever i go.was going to head toward's colville were i got my turkey little Penderai something like that. the camp next to mine had some big shed's. might just go to Teannaway i cougar call by the snow park lot's  bobcat's there too. i dont know. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 07:19:13 PM »
Isn't it cool to have so many choices.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:09:03 PM by boneaddict »

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »
Dad just got back from camp out in the Teanaway at about 6,000ft, said very little snow left, just patches, but said it was nasty weather.  Not dry anymore which is nice.

Offline saudog

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 02:17:32 PM »
I spent the weekend looking for deer and or/sign all over the buttermilk butte, libby creek, gold creek, gold ridge area.  Not really any sign at all and I didn't see any deer up there.  Hiked up to Libby lake (beautiful hike by the way) and cut one fresh track in the snow.  Is it usually this dead in that area above the river valleys/below the "high country"?  There was some sign around the burn that runs up Gold ridge, but not much and not very fresh.

p.s., there was snow starting at about 5000', and maybe a 8-10 inches by the time I got to the lake at appx. 7500'.

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 05:19:49 PM »
the snow was nearly gone at about 5500ft or so on saturday. not a trace of snow below 5k. the north slopes and holes still had a few inches but it was melting fairly fast. i would expect most of it to be gone by this weekend at that elevation.  :'(

Offline 50CalJim

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • 5th yr in a row I've drawn a Special Permit.
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »
 To Saudog, I was also in that area on Sat & spent 7 hrs walking & glassing. Even though I did see a 2x3 it was pretty evident that deer sign was extremly scarce but I did find it interesting that coyotes were howing at 9:20am. ??? So I thought screw this & moved down to Poorman ck rd on Sun down low & hunted only about 3hrs before heading back home but saw quite a bit more sign plus 2 more 2x3's go figure. One thing that I noticed is that the Sage down low was a lot better than the Sage up high which pretty much looked dead to me so perhaps that's part of it. :dunno:

Offline saudog

• Hunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 09:57:24 PM »
Yeah that pretty much adds up.  Nice to know i wasn't the only one farting around up there.  I saw a guy muzzleloading saturday morning off of buttermilk butte and then no one else all day until sunday afternoon.  Camped right off of the n.fk gold creek road and not a car drove by from sat. at 9pm through sunday 10am.  Thanks for hollering back at me.  See you around.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 06:19:41 AM »
The deer population is way down in the Valley.  I don't care what the biologists tell you, its about 1/4 compared to what it normally is.  The deer should be more robust, but definately harder to find.  It won't be a gangbuster year in the Methow this year.

Offline Bobm

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »
So,

Are we going to have snow or not and at what elevation?

Looks like I'll be going solo again as my partners have commitments plus the fact I don't think they like how I hunt.  Pack in and go high, of which I am.

:)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 01:02:31 PM »
looks like i'll be hunting in mid 60's during the day and low 40's at night at 3500' in the blues
thats the standard weather forecast fro the last few years that i can remember. it'd sure be nice if the temps would come down a bit...but we do what we can...
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »
sounds like washington

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
bob, looks like you better get high if you want to see some white stuff, even then it will be crunchy and 2 weeks old. doesn't look like a lot of precip is inbound for next week. the temps look to have bounced back to normal as well. i wouldn't expect much snow for any of us next week. i hunt between 5500 and 6k and it doesn't look any diffenrent than normal. low 30's and high 40's. looks fairly dry though! i can only pray the fog holds off..... it's gettin to be about that time! only 2 more days of work!!!

Offline Bobm

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 07:18:30 PM »
Wrangler,

I'll be packing in, hope to get away from the crowds.   I have to believe the bigger ones are still high.  I'll also be between 5500 and 6000 for the location.  Amen on the fog.

I'll be heading up Thursday, make myself real small on top and spend Friday glassing.

Hopefully not much crunchy snow except to show some sign. 

Yep,  170 or Bust! 

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 07:25:07 PM »
170 or bust, im right there with ya. good luck to you sir.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »
Ahh yes, the beloved fog, I was hoping these cooler temps would stick around, but today was very warm, hopefully up high it stays somewhat respectable, last year was too warm.  6,000 ft too and was wishing i had shorts, dont want a repeat of that.  We only get the fog when there is precip falling or the ground is really wet other than that it stays clear.

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »
yeah the fogs a bitch, so is the wind where i hunt. if we get any big fronts moving in from the west that clear the passes it gets nasty. although i got a few holes within hiking range so far down in the bottom no weather can get to em, it's a good option but god help me i decide to pull the trigger on one down there.... i may never get out!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal