collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: quail season opens tomorrow and I need to send my gun back for repairs  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
Tomorrow is the opener and I think I need to send my shotgun back for a fix.  The lower barrel has misfired on me 6 times in the past two weeks.  So, instead of toting a 6 lb shotgun I will have to opt for a heavier one for the first couple of weeks.

It's either send it back now and carry a heavier gun or "*&&%*(*" and moan when it happens while hunting and then send it back.  That gets one a tad hotter as I had two of the misfires (or failure to fire) on the senior pheasant hunt.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: quail season opens tomorrow and I need to send my gun back for repairs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:03:02 AM »
If you lived closer you could borrow my double barrel 16 my grandpa gave me when I was knee high to a buck fart !! She has killed lots of grouse, pidgeon and quail !! I hope all works out !!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:06:15 AM »
I send a trap gun back to Browning in Missouri, Aug 20th for a rebuild.  They estimate I will get it back Dec 9th.  Customer Service rep said I was lucky because the really get backlogged during hunting season  So you might need a long term service loaner.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:16:35 AM »
When I talked to CZ yesterday they said they would put my gun at the front of the line as it's a return for the same issue.  First time it misfired a lot... probably 30 percent of the time.  After the repair it was good up to about 2 weeks ago.  Since then I've had 6 misfires.  All of this is on the lower barrel. 

Thanks for the offers of a loaner gun.   I do have a couple of replacements laying around.  I wanted to use this particular one as it only weighs 6 lbs and is comparable to my lightweight 20 gauge except that the patterns are wayyy better.

I fired about 2 1/2 flats of ammo between the repairs, all without incident until starting the senior pheasant opener.   Kent Fasteel has a shell returned to them as a dud. That was the first misfire and back then I thought the ammo was suspect.  Now I think it's the lower firing pin/spring.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
Sounds like a pin or spring, dumb question but did you squirt some  w-d 40 in there?
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:35:27 AM »
Is your lower barrel the first to fire?

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
Is your lower barrel the first to fire?

Based on how I have the barrel selector set, yes the lower barrel is the first to fire.  I could reverse it and did yesterday at the skeet range.  I feel it is a short firing pin or a spring problem.

On squirting WD-40 to loosen things up.  I'm not a big fan of WD-40 any more after having to de-gunk a revolver that had been sprayed many times with WD-40.  Some of it was so thick that I had to use a screwdriver to scrape it off. It was even too thick for the solvent to remove.   I think I would have used CLP or something like that had I sprayed something down the firing pin hole.  SeaFoam has a product out similar that I have used in the past on firearm issues.  It works good as far as I can see.

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »
Remember when you could bring something like this into a gunsmith for the day.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
Take two spent shells, put a small peice of tape over the primer on both and insert them into the gun. Set your selector to the barrel you are having problems (bottom?)with. Pull the trigger. If you open the gun and the top barrels shell has a indent in the tape, take the gun and 1 time quite strongly, and smack the butt of the gun on the ground. Try again. I had a CZ misfiring on me and it was because I had pulled the trigger on the gun with no live ammo in it, failing to reset the trigger pin for my left barrell. Hope this works for you, someone showed me this and it fixed my problem immediately.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 03:17:29 PM »
Take two spent shells, put a small peice of tape over the primer on both and insert them into the gun. Set your selector to the barrel you are having problems (bottom?)with. Pull the trigger. If you open the gun and the top barrels shell has a indent in the tape, take the gun and 1 time quite strongly, and smack the butt of the gun on the ground. Try again. I had a CZ misfiring on me and it was because I had pulled the trigger on the gun with no live ammo in it, failing to reset the trigger pin for my left barrell. Hope this works for you, someone showed me this and it fixed my problem immediately.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Interesting tip.  I wonder how the originator came up with that one.  It should work.

The gun's at FedEx on the way back.  I don't believe in fiddling with them if they are under warranty.  CZ sent me a shipping label and insurance.  Also told me it would go to the head of the line for repairs.    I had a DeHaan Huglu that had a problem with the 2nd barrel not firing.  I thought the issue was either dirt in the hammer/firing pin area or a rough edge that wasn't broken on a firing part of some sort.  I never sent it back for repairs and by the time I sent it back the warranty had expired.  It had a real problem and I ended up paying for it on my dime.  The warranty had expired 14 years by the time I finally sent it in so it wasn't even close.

My choices now are a Browning lightweight 20 gauge o/u or a CZ 20 gauge sxs that's about a pound heavier.  Both shoot to the same basic POI as the one I sent back.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
I hate to say this, but until the Turks get better at making doubles, I won't own one.  The Spanish went through the same growing pains years ago, and now they build some pretty fine doubles, but the Turkish guns still have too many problems IMO.   If you want to piss some money away you can find mid 6lb 20ga Miroku for around $800.  Those guns are as good as it gets mechanically.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 07:16:31 PM »
I hate to say this, but until the Turks get better at making doubles, I won't own one.  The Spanish went through the same growing pains years ago, and now they build some pretty fine doubles, but the Turkish guns still have too many problems IMO.   If you want to piss some money away you can find mid 6lb 20ga Miroku for around $800.  Those guns are as good as it gets mechanically.

Maybe you should shoot one at a skeet range before you say that.    I've had problems with Remingtons and last I checked they've been made in the USA since the 1800's.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
Remington doesn't make doubles any more.  And for the record, I've shot a few CZ's and other Turkish guns.  I'm also not the one complaining because my double doesn't shoot.  With the ridiculous prices if use doubles today, your much better off in the used market.  Hell, you can get a use British box lock that's 10x's the gun as a CZ for only twice as much money.....  As far as my comment goes, I hope it didn't come across the wrong way.  My point was that while your waiting for your gun to be fixed, you can piss away about $800 for a  Miroku.  Mirokus are fine guns.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:35:36 PM by jetjockey »

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 09:07:56 AM »
I don't need a Miroku and yes your remark came across as one of the Huglu-haters.   I didn't say the Remington was a double.  I didn't even say it was a shotgun.  It was a 700 that had a sticky chamber and was from around 1990.  Warshaws polished the chamber out as back then they were a Remington repair station.

If one would check the Huglu metal standards, the machinery and the specifications used they are the same as what's used in the US.  Shame most US shotguns aren't made in the US any longer.   I'm biased the other way as I have 4 Huglus.  I also have an AyA sxs, a Winchester 101 (Japanese) a Super-X Model 1 and I think that's it other than a Savage 24.

Now.... hopping off high horse,  my issue was sending back a lightweight 12 gauge for repair as I don't like carrying a heavier shotgun.  I don't mind heavier ones in the duck blind but when one is carried more than shot as in upland, I like light.

As a side note I did get one of the gel pack recoil pads Browning has just started manufacturing.  It slips into a pocket on a shooting vest.  I also imagine if I would check that it came from overseas also.

I did see a nice looking 3 inch 20 gauge Citori last week that the owner wanted $700 for.  It weighed more than 6 pounds which is my criteria for upland. 

I forgot I also have a 20 gauge Citori lightweight that only has 2 3/4 inch chambers.  The lightweight 12 gives better patterns than the 20 with the same weight loads and same constriction chokes.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »

Anyone that shoots an vintage Lefever is entitled voice a contrary opinion.    I like the old side by sides also.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]