collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where to get paper maps of private land boundaries?  (Read 2415 times)

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Where to get paper maps of private land boundaries?
« on: September 30, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
I'm hunting mule deer in a new area to me with a friend. He knows the area well but I would like to have maps in hand encase we hunt different areas.

Thanks
AK 907

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Where to get paper maps of private land boundaries?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »
Either USFS Ranger District maps or DNR Public Land maps. The forest service maps can be purchased at any ranger district office. The DNR maps are available in Tumwater at the Department of Printing, or online.

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »
thanks!
AK 907

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 12:31:19 AM »
Most county assessor's office have printable GIS maps that show private parcels and public land parcels (for free).  This is a good source if you know where you want to hunt in advance.  You may need to know a parcel number to get started in the parcel search section, but often an address is good enough.   If you have an iPhone or similar, you can probably just work with that same source out in the field (if you have service) without a printed copy.  If you're hunting in Wahkiakum Co., don't even bother - I think they're still trying to get electricity there.  No digital information whatsoever.

I think X-maps and other similar services provide better maps that show parcels, but cost quite a bit more than the free assessors maps.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »
onxmaps is 20 something bucks a year and gets you all the info you need on your phone. You can download map sections for offline use later. You can also view maps on your home computer and print them out.

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 07:49:14 AM »
onxmaps is 20 something bucks a year and gets you all the info you need on your phone. You can download map sections for offline use later. You can also view maps on your home computer and print them out.

I was gonna get this next year when I get my new gps. I wouldn't mind getting it for my computer this year though, do you just buy it online and download it?
AK 907

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 09:50:20 AM »
Yeah I don't even think you need to download anything for the computer. You just purchase the state of your choice (or multiple states). If you've got a smart phone you just download the app and can access maps in the field using your phone's GPS. Its pretty slick and they keep improving it. Let me know if you need help figuring it out I'd be happy to assist.

https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/overview?gclid=CjwKEAjwvb2_BRCb_s7Yo7_ZlHASJABz6L0jT9Z33zbVJLxs6dfzazjOaAgUztt0Bd0P9mL94yDIkhoCpOnw_wcB

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 10:18:16 AM »
Yeah I don't even think you need to download anything for the computer. You just purchase the state of your choice (or multiple states). If you've got a smart phone you just download the app and can access maps in the field using your phone's GPS. Its pretty slick and they keep improving it. Let me know if you need help figuring it out I'd be happy to assist.

https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/overview?gclid=CjwKEAjwvb2_BRCb_s7Yo7_ZlHASJABz6L0jT9Z33zbVJLxs6dfzazjOaAgUztt0Bd0P9mL94yDIkhoCpOnw_wcB

thank you! I just downloaded it and this thing is sweet. Very reassuring to see that I'm not on someones land.
AK 907

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 06:52:03 PM »
Download as in bought or are you in a trial?  There are a few coupon codes that take 20%? off the HUNT app/computer access.  Hush, Randy16 ... Im sure there are more but either of those should work.

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 07:06:01 PM »
Download as in bought or are you in a trial?  There are a few coupon codes that take 20%? off the HUNT app/computer access.  Hush, Randy16 ... Im sure there are more but either of those should work.

I paid for a year subscription, I used Randy16 as I listen to his podcast now and then. Next year when I get a new gps I'll buy the chip but this will work great for now.
AK 907

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10