collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Finally shot some red legged devils!  (Read 9791 times)

Offline John B

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Master Hunter, NRA, DU
Finally shot some red legged devils!
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:55:35 PM »
I'm not sure how many miles I've hiked looking for chukar, but probably more than it should have taken me. Last season I finally found them, but couldn't manage to knock one down. Finally got it done yesterday and I can't wait to get some more!

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
Re: Finally shot some red legged devils!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:02:25 PM »
Looks like fun, nice work!
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »
You just got tired of being laughed at by a bird when you miss, first hunt is for sport, from then on out its revenge with those birds.   :tup:

Congrats, it's so addicting isn't it.  :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:15:29 PM »
Nice work!  See any snakes out there?  Been pretty warm still, but I'm itching to check out a few new spots.

Offline John B

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »
Nice work!  See any snakes out there?  Been pretty warm still, but I'm itching to check out a few new spots.

Just one, he won't be around anymore...

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
I'm not sure how many miles I've hiked looking for chukar, but probably more than it should have taken me. Last season I finally found them, but couldn't manage to knock one down. Finally got it done yesterday and I can't wait to get some more!
Welcome to the Chukar club, now the addiction begins. Very interesting opener in many respects for us.  We encountered a rattler in an area that you would NEVER guess they would inhabit.  We managed to get up plenty of birds, the sad part is, most of them ALL flushed wild.  It was as if it was late season.  The good part is, they were mostly juvenile birds and plenty of them.  The huns that got up also flushed wild.  We have very well trained bird dogs, that see a lot of wild bird each year, they were having immense amounts of trouble pinning them down.  Lots of frustrations, but that is the fun part of it, I guess!  JayBird or Natcheez will have something to pitch in I am sure...LOL!

Offline chiefwen

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:06:34 AM »
Really good job.  Chukar are a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:46:59 PM by chiefwen »

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:42:25 PM »
Looks like you had a good opening weekend!

Lots of juvenile chukar and lots  of quail running around. Haven't seen as many grouse compared to the last two years.

Be prepared for a lot of swearing. There's days where you are skunked and days where you have success.

Before other people pm you about your picture, I'd suggest not displaying anything with a background that gives an area away. You may have more people finding out where you go.

Offline John B

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 09:00:16 PM »

Before other people pm you about your picture, I'd suggest not displaying anything with a background that gives an area away. You may have more people finding out where you go.

Cantellum ridge on Wontellum mountain

Offline John B

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 09:34:56 PM »
Welcome to the Chukar club, now the addiction begins. Very interesting opener in many respects for us.  We encountered a rattler in an area that you would NEVER guess they would inhabit.  We managed to get up plenty of birds, the sad part is, most of them ALL flushed wild.  It was as if it was late season.  The good part is, they were mostly juvenile birds and plenty of them.  The huns that got up also flushed wild.  We have very well trained bird dogs, that see a lot of wild bird each year, they were having immense amounts of trouble pinning them down.  Lots of frustrations, but that is the fun part of it, I guess!  JayBird or Natcheez will have something to pitch in I am sure...LOL!

I'm definitely addicted, might get "sick" this week so I can go back out haha. Our dogs were having trouble as well, it was almost like there was too much bird scent in the area to locate them. That or the chukar were running circles around us. We bumped the majority of the birds we got on just out of range, but enough split off and only flew 100 yards or less and we got a second flush. My mutt (lab/shorthair) made a pretty exciting retrieve, I knocked my second chukar down and he went to fetch it. He got about 20 feet from it and the bird started running, then took flight, but it was flying low and slow. I could tell it was hit, but thought I might lose it as it flew towards the edge of the ridge. It was about 4 feet off the ground with my dog in pursuit, he jumped and caught it midair. It was pretty wild, had a great opener though with some good buddies and good whiskey (afterwards)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »
Congrats, we had a couple come acoss our driveway and my daughter couldn't help herself.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 06:44:25 PM »
Those are some big boys!

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 09:38:54 PM »

Had a great time on the opener Saturday.  Hunted hard and got up a wild covey of huns, and a big covey of chukars in range, and knocked one down, but couldn't find it.  Frustrating.  Can't wait for next time!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 08:02:01 AM »
you people holding the chukars don't look anything like I remember my first hunt.  The part I remember is standing on the bottom of a draw, havin hiked down on an angle, standing there in my own vapor cloud, glasses fogged up so bad I couldn't see and a nearby chukar going "chuck... chuck... chuck you".    Dirty little buggers.

Offline John B

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »
you people holding the chukars don't look anything like I remember my first hunt.  The part I remember is standing on the bottom of a draw, havin hiked down on an angle, standing there in my own vapor cloud, glasses fogged up so bad I couldn't see and a nearby chukar going "chuck... chuck... chuck you".    Dirty little buggers.

Haha not my first chukar hunt, just my first successful one! I got on them a few times last year only to have them flush just out of range

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]