collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fix-a-flat for truck with trailer??  (Read 10049 times)

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
Fix-a-flat for truck with trailer??
« on: October 04, 2016, 08:31:39 PM »
Hey guys, so i was wondering what you guys do if you get a flat while pulling a trailer. Me and the better half are going on a 9 day hunting trip in november. We were wondering what we would do if our truck got a flat?? Use fix a flat or buy a full size spare. the trucks original spare is way smaller, the truck is now on 35x12.5x20s. We priced out a new spare tire and wheel and it would be about $500.

So what are your thoughts

Fix-a-flat
Buy a full size spare
Or just chance it..........

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Fix-a-flat for truck with trailer??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:35:28 PM »
Get another wheel

can't patch a tire with fix-a-flat in it and odds are the hole won't plug with that gunk in there anyways.  I suggest you get a jack out and tire wrench and go through the motions of changing the trail wheel.  You might be able to use your tow vehicle jack and wrench but maybe not.  You might also be able to change the lug nuts on the trailer to match your tow vehicle also

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »
Buy a full size spare.
If you use fix a flat to drive to a tire store to repair the flat they must likely won't fix it with a patch and you will end up buying a full size tire anyways. The buzz grinder to scuff the rubber can spark on a belt in the tire and ignite the fix a flat fumes, and it's a messy crap fest. Just buy a full spare and put it on to drive to fix the flat tire.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
Get a tire plug kit. Easy to repair punctures and wont destroy the tire.   I wouldn't use fix a flat if you don't have to but it is good to have as a backup.

Also plug is removable and repairable with a patch at the tire shop.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
Look on Craigslist for a used 35" tire and have it mounted on your spare wheel.  Or call a tire shop and have them hold an old one that they have. However, Part of the problem with this is that you cannot fit a 35" tire in the spare tire storage slot so it'll have to be kept somewhere else.

This is my two cents.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:40:08 PM »
I bought a quality plug kit for my PU but haven't used it.  I've used them plenty on ATV's but not a 10 ply mud/snow tire. 

I still carry a spare for my PU though, as a plug kit won't do anything for a sidewall gash.   :chuckle:

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:41:46 PM »
100% a spare - fix a flat won't do crap if you blow out a side wall somewhere
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
All good info here, i was going to look for a used one, now how to store a full size spare with out it getting stolen. my truck has a bed box in so maybe i could mout it to that standing up some how

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »
All good info here, i was going to look for a used one, now how to store a full size spare with out it getting stolen. my truck has a bed box in so maybe i could mout it to that standing up some how
:yeah: yeah was gonna say a decent used one  :tup:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
Spare. Also, try it on your truck to make sure the wheel works with your lug nuts.
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 09:19:55 PM »
some of those camco RV blocks would be nice for jacking up your tire since it's taller than OEM, might run out of jack height

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
Tuck it in the bed between all your gear and just put a chain and padlock thru the wheel and one of your corner tie downs
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »
You don't have to have the same exact size just one that is 35" tall. Lots of full sized OEM spares are a more common rim size. Often times newer trucks have a 17" rim sized spare when it came with 20" wheels.

Full size spare is a no brainer.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 09:29:30 PM »
I've had good luck with used tires for both my older truck and trailers. And as Threewolves said make sure the bolt pattern is the same "make sure the wheel works with your lug nuts." The Hispanic dealers in Federal Way have done me right for the past 15 years or so. I picked up a full size spare for my utility trailer wheel and good rubber for about $30 mounted and out the door.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 09:36:44 PM »
What kind of truck is it? If find a used one and chain it in the bed. Fix a flat will render your tire useless so you'd be buying a new one anyway as was already mentioned.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 10:28:46 PM »
Its a 15 silverado, i found 2 tires on CL im going to go look at in the morning. They are with out rims, but the tires are mud terrains and they are like 85%, hes asking $100 a tire

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 05:18:11 AM »
Most tire stores have used tires and wheels that would work great for a lot less than $500. There are also a lot of used tire stores around nowadays. I know of at least 1 in Longview and Centralia.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 06:30:22 AM »
Go to amazon or ebay and type in 'heavy duty tire repair kit'. I've used those kits numerous times to fix tires. they are simple and effective and great to have in a time of need. also, you can get a small pump that plugs into your power outlet and you can air up a flat if it loses that much air. the tire repair kits make awesome Christmas gifts!
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 06:50:40 AM »
If this was me, I'd go to a couple of places that sell used tires at a big discount.  I would see if I could find a decent used tire and wheel in the correct size.  Will be a lot less than $500.  I see no reason to have a brand new tire as a spare when one with 50% tread left on it will get you out of a jam.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
Its a 15 silverado, i found 2 tires on CL im going to go look at in the morning. They are with out rims, but the tires are mud terrains and they are like 85%, hes asking $100 a tire
1500? 2500 or 3500? Bolt holes?

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »
Picked up a tire from some very sketchy people but the tire checked out and i got it for $80! its almost brad new and there are no tears or patches and no lugs missing! past my water check also. so now i just need to track down a rim.

Offline Grit dog

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
Craigslist is your friend here. Lots of used rims.
Have you measured to see how big a tire will fit underneath?  Even if you're not able to crank it up all the way, as long as it's tight against the trailer hitch or whatever's blocking it, who cares if it hangs down 6". You got 2' of clearance with that big truck and guessing you're not boonie hoppin a brand new pickup too hard.
Or just get the biggest tire that will fit. Even your stock full size tire is fine unless you're running lockers in the axles.
I did the same as you and bought a used big spare to match the size halfway close when I went to AK. But I knew I might have to drive 1000mi on that spare loaded with a truck camper.
Make sure you got a trailer spare as well and the right lug wrenches and a jack or blocks that will work for truck and trailer.
Spare tires are a Murphy's law thing IMO. Much less chance of needing if you're prepared.

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
Craigslist is your friend here. Lots of used rims.
Have you measured to see how big a tire will fit underneath?  Even if you're not able to crank it up all the way, as long as it's tight against the trailer hitch or whatever's blocking it, who cares if it hangs down 6". You got 2' of clearance with that big truck and guessing you're not boonie hoppin a brand new pickup too hard.
Or just get the biggest tire that will fit. Even your stock full size tire is fine unless you're running lockers in the axles.
I did the same as you and bought a used big spare to match the size halfway close when I went to AK. But I knew I might have to drive 1000mi on that spare loaded with a truck camper.
Make sure you got a trailer spare as well and the right lug wrenches and a jack or blocks that will work for truck and trailer.
Spare tires are a Murphy's law thing IMO. Much less chance of needing if you're prepared.

Yeah I'm going to look around for rims and see if I can find one on CL but if not I might just order one that matches my rims now. I'm also going to try to fit it under my truck where the factory spare sits. The truck does have a locker in the rear. My trailer does have a spare and I went and bought a wrenc that stays in the truck to change the tires if needed. I do need to see if I need to make some blocks for the jack.

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »
is your trailer dual axle? if so all you need is a block for the "other" tire, just pull up on it!
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 07:46:29 PM »
is your trailer dual axle? if so all you need is a block for the "other" tire, just pull up on it!
Carl

Yes it's a dual axle. Good call on that. I'll have to go home and find a good pice of scrap.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 07:09:51 AM »
Most trailer with 2 axles wave separate Springs or a connector  that pivots so that won't work. It works if there are 2 tires on one axles and the outside one is flat. You can change it without unbolting it.

Confucius

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »
Good point, my trailer has two sets of leaf prings per axle

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
Had a valve stem break one time on my trailer.  Nothing but a fully functional spare wheel/tire for each for me from now on.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 03:31:17 PM »
Picked up a tire from some very sketchy people but the tire checked out and i got it for $80! its almost brad new and there are no tears or patches and no lugs missing! past my water check also. so now i just need to track down a rim.

Don't post a picture of the tire.  Someone might recognize it... :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
Look on Craigslist for a used 35" tire and have it mounted on your spare wheel.  Or call a tire shop and have them hold an old one that they have. However, Part of the problem with this is that you cannot fit a 35" tire in the spare tire storage slot so it'll have to be kept somewhere else.

This is my two cents.

Depends on the truck.  It might require some modification to be able to squeak in there.  I have a 35 under my Super Duty that only took minimal modification to fit ( I did add a heat shield between the tire and exhaust)  My Frontier fit a 34" tire in as the spare with no issue.

How does fix a flat or Green Slime, or other similar products render the tire useless?
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:11 PM »

HAHAHAHA They were so crazy i doubt that they had a working computer, there was junk EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »

This is my two cents.

Depends on the truck.  It might require some modification to be able to squeak in there.  I have a 35 under my Super Duty that only took minimal modification to fit ( I did add a heat shield between the tire and exhaust)  My Frontier fit a 34" tire in as the spare with no issue.

How does fix a flat or Green Slime, or other similar products render the tire useless?

I am going to get under the truck this weekend and see if it will fit.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »
Get another wheel

I suggest you get a jack out and tire wrench and go through the motions of changing the trail wheel.  You might be able to use your tow vehicle jack and wrench but maybe not.

:yeah:

This is great advice.  I got a flat on my trailer (also a dual axle) this summer on a camping trip.  The jack that came with my pickup wasn't enough to lift the tire off the ground.  Luckily the side of the road I was on had really soft gravel and the flat was on the driver side, so I was able to use the jack to prop up the bad wheel the best I could and dig out the gravel enough to get the spare on.  And I don't think my pickup's lug wrench fit either, but I always carry a 4-way star for that reason. One more thing, I had bought my trailer used and the previous owner had cross threaded a lug nut on the bad tire, so I ended up breaking the stud and running on 4 lugs for the rest of the trip.  A lot of this could have been prevented had I done what KFhunter suggested. Good luck on your hunt and hopefully all of this is moot and you don't have any tire issues.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2016, 07:12:10 PM »
If your truck has tpms fix a flat will ruin them and they run about $120. I carry a tire plug kit and an air pump.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2016, 07:50:44 PM »
If your truck has tpms fix a flat will ruin them and they run about $120. I carry a tire plug kit and an air pump.

I thought it would ruin the TPMS but wasn't sure I have my plug kit. But idk if I'll have time to get the onboard air in

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2016, 11:44:29 PM »
I use a cheap compressor that plugs into the lighter it doesn't alway get to full pressure but gets you out of trouble.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 12:31:46 AM »
I use a cheap compressor that plugs into the lighter it doesn't alway get to full pressure but gets you out of trouble.

Yeah I was thinking of going cheap but I'm so use to the ARB on board air compressors that I think I will probably go that route.

I did order my spare rim today and I went ahead and bought a rim that I eventually want to switch all my rims to.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »
You might be surprised how well the harbour freight one works. Several people I know including myself use them. Big difference in price for the occasional use.

Confucius

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »
You might be surprised how well the harbour freight one works. Several people I know including myself use them. Big difference in price for the occasional use.

Do you have a part # i can look up??

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 05:39:52 PM »
69285 but I'm pretty sure I got mine on cupon

Confucius

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 06:11:35 PM »
Sweet thanks, i took a look at it, not bad now i just need to find a harbor freight  :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2016, 08:53:17 AM »
for bigger mudder tires you want a high duty cycle air compressor, 100% duty cycle if you can budget for it.  Nice thing about a 12v cigarette plug one is you can carry it to a buddy's truck instead of looking for 100' air hose to reach.

100% duty cycle, $300 bucks too.  Probably more than you need unless you're a rock crawler with huge tires but it gives you a starting point to work backwards until you find one that suits your needs and budget.
https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Automatic-Function-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9EGFS

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2016, 10:00:03 AM »
I use mine just once in a while. As long as you don't heat it up too much I think you would be fine with a cheapo. A full size spare, plug kit and air compressor and I think you can handle 90% of problems.

Confucius

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »

:yeah: :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal