collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice For The New Bird Hunters  (Read 10012 times)

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Advice For The New Bird Hunters
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 09:25:05 PM »
Fair enough.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I am sure we can agree a first time bird hunter not having a shotgun may be one of the "dumbest" things we heard of.  We will just have to disagree on whether a first time bird hunter not having a dog along is the "dumbest" thing ever posted here.

As first time hunter, if given one option for an entire season to either: a) Hunt with a gun or b) hunt with a bird dog and starter pistol. The hunter that chooses b) bird dog will ultimately become a better hunter because they'll learn more about finding birds, good bird habitat,and bird behavior than the hunter who walks with a gun all season.

How many coveys of birds are on the ridge in front of you in this picture? Are they on the south slopes or the north slopes? On the tops or down in the draws? Are there quail, huns, or chukar? could there be a be a pheasant under one of those clumps of sage? I have no idea. The hunter with the gun could walk aimlessly for miles and not see a thing. The hunter with a dog, even a new puppy with good breeding will cover 10 times the ground in less time and if there are birds the dog will find them. 

I spent the first 15 years of my hunting experience walking with a gun alone or hunting over friends dogs. I rarely shot and birds without the dogs but always found birds over a dog. Since having my own setter I hunt more, hunt better, and get more enjoyment out of the sport (hunting, training, reading about training, etc). Having a dog also got my son into hunting and will likely lead my girls into the sport as well.

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »
Fair enough.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I am sure we can agree a first time bird hunter not having a shotgun may be one of the "dumbest" things we heard of.  We will just have to disagree on whether a first time bird hunter not having a dog along is the "dumbest" thing ever posted here.

As first time hunter, if given one option for an entire season to either: a) Hunt with a gun or b) hunt with a bird dog and starter pistol. The hunter that chooses b) bird dog will ultimately become a better hunter because they'll learn more about finding birds, good bird habitat,and bird behavior than the hunter who walks with a gun all season.

How many coveys of birds are on the ridge in front of you in this picture? Are they on the south slopes or the north slopes? On the tops or down in the draws? Are there quail, huns, or chukar? could there be a be a pheasant under one of those clumps of sage? I have no idea. The hunter with the gun could walk aimlessly for miles and not see a thing. The hunter with a dog, even a new puppy with good breeding will cover 10 times the ground in less time and if there are birds the dog will find them. 

I spent the first 15 years of my hunting experience walking with a gun alone or hunting over friends dogs. I rarely shot and birds without the dogs but always found birds over a dog. Since having my own setter I hunt more, hunt better, and get more enjoyment out of the sport (hunting, training, reading about training, etc). Having a dog also got my son into hunting and will likely lead my girls into the sport as well.

You explained this better than I ever could've. Thank you for the perspective!
Not for self, but for country

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Ok maybe it's just me but is it really that hard to find birds? There's quail literally everywhere in the Yakima valley and quite a few in brushy draws in the lt Murray. Chukars are not every where but there is just not as many of them as quail. Same with Huns. It really isn't hard to find a place to hunt birds, and yes I agree that a trained dog will help locate and retrieve birds.

Offline jleski

• Pilgrim
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 12:05:45 PM »
liked your post up until the last line.

a good dog will get you 'looks' at birds.  a very good dog will get you shots at birds.

one line I would also add: keep in mind where you are at, if it flys in the direction you cant go (most often) let it go.  don't kill something you cant retrieve.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]