collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crab Creek Area bird hunting  (Read 7657 times)

Offline squires14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Crab Creek Area bird hunting
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »
Was hoping some one out there might be able to give me and my 11yr old pointer a access point in the area were we can have a chance to see a rooster or two quail, and some waterfowl. This is the last yr im going to hunter her, and she's never really done much besides release sites on the west side. Don't want your hunny holes, just a good starting pt me and my old girl go start are walk from. She loves water (should have been born a lab) so if the area has the chance at a duck, that would be a bounce.  Thanks for all the help, and hope your all safe and succsefull this hunting season

GO hawks! Go Huskies! AND GO Cougars! Washington State football teams are representing this year!

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
Re: Crab Creek Area bird hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »
Unless the bird fairy shows up there not much there for roosters. There are some but not any different than any other release area in my opinion. The main area SW of O hell No (Othello) has quail but boot leather is required.

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »
What part of crab creek are you talking about?
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 02:44:15 PM »
I'd drive up to the WDFW Gloyd Seeps release area if it was me.  It's north of Moses Lake and east of Ephrata.   All sorts of public land from Road 10 up to Road 20.  Check on the WDFW page for eastside pheasant release sites and pick your parking spot.

Offline squires14

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
I have no real spot picked out, just looking to do some jump shooting and maybe a chance for my mutts to go on pint (quail, chucker, rooster) my hounds aren't raises ;)

Offline clockwork

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: nra, psa
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »
not a lot of roosters out there but if you happen to arrive soon after a bird truck you can do alright. the roosters quickly make it to the far side of the creek though. and theres enough quail mixed in there throughout to make things interesting.

Offline wonder

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
Hunted there on opening week and saw 1 quail and lots of trash.  Beautiful area and you'd think it would hold more game?  Pretty sure I won't be going back there again.

Offline jleski

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 01:07:54 PM »
Hunt there all the time, its as good as you make it :tup:.
upper is a great place if your dog likes water.
look me up, I like company, be glad to have some help.  I have a 8 ish pointer and I drive a sportwagen. 
no way in hell anyone is going to 'hunt out' grant co.

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 11:16:08 PM »
Hunted there last Thursday.  We didn't get started until about 1400, and it was raining pretty hard.  We got into several small coveys of quail, and several pheasant that I suspect were left over from the youth hunt.  We had well trained dogs with us, and I'm sure that helped a lot, but like was stated before, it's what you make it.   :twocents:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 11:25:56 PM »
look me up, I like company, be glad to have some help.  I have a 8 ish pointer and I drive a sportwagen. 
Crab creek is turning into a desert, void of upland birds compared to several years ago. It can be good puddle duck hunting on the northern side though. 😉

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 04:04:01 AM »
Crab creek is turning into a desert, void of upland birds compared to several years ago. It can be good puddle duck hunting on the northern side though. 😉

I have noticed the same, bird numbers use to be ok there but really nose dived about three years ago. I have not hunted it in about two years.

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »
Hopefully, those Crab Creek pheasants are being left for the actual E. WA Pheasant Opener this Saturday 10/22. Many people seem to think the Waterfowl / Modern Firearm Opener is the E. WA Pheasant Opener, too...Gentle Reminder.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline jleski

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »
Again the area is what you make of it.  like was said earlier you got to know their habits and put in the time.

no doubt it is easier too get a limit (or two) following the DFW trailer around Goyds.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »
Again the area is what you make of it.  like was said earlier you got to know their habits and put in the time.

no doubt it is easier too get a limit (or two) following the DFW trailer around Goyds.

Not as easy as you make it seem.  The people planting birds don't plant if someone is in the area.   Only when it's unoccupied.  One of the guys releasing birds told me that.

Offline HookedOnQuack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »

Not as easy as you make it seem.  The people planting birds don't plant if someone is in the area.   Only when it's unoccupied.  One of the guys releasing birds told me that.

if this is true then they have changed theirs ways since i last hunted there a few years ago. We use to have the release days and times figured out pretty damn well and we were there getting ready to hit the field one afternoon when the truck pulled up and the guy releasing them flat out told us we could shoot them as he released them! We declined cuz there is absolutely no fun in that for us or the dogs but it sure made for a good quick hunt with plenty of new birds in the area

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]