collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Rut  (Read 56882 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Blacktail Rut
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2016, 11:58:30 PM »
The blacktails are coming in right now.  If you can hunt tomorrow hunt.   YMMV, but they all are so close that to not hunt is a fool's errand.  The mature bucks will soon be making the rounds and soon means look under your stand to see if a mature buck is waiting to come out. Like I said, after I had burned my General Tag on a two point I have had to let a mature buck walk that was watching from ten yards away from my stand as I waited for does to come in first.   

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
it was definitely on in our area yesterday. Saw 5 deer, 4 of which were bucks. Killed 2 of them. One VERY big mature buck that was pushing a doe around. Hopefully it will get posted.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
Pretty slow around here in Chehalis area.  Seen a few rubs but not much activity.  I have seen 1 small 2 pt chasing a doe but not swollen and another buck withva doe.  Ive seen 5 bucks so far 2 of which where in rut or just coming in.  The other 3 where not.  Buddy shot a buck yesterday no signs of rut either. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline klikboom

• Scout
  • Die Living ... if you have a choice.
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »
I found area with rubs and in the thick there are the deer beds. I tried rattling there then walked down the sort of dirt bike trail through timber, there was one absolutely thrashing a fern. Coming from different direction were a bunch of snorts. Don't know if they smelled me but they bailed into even thicker stuff. If it was bedded and I kicked it up will he abandon the bedding area?  Haven seen any in clearcuts since opener.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »
Just about all deer activity has been non existent the last 2 days...very few does and one small buck by itself
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »
If it was bedded and I kicked it up will he abandon the bedding area?

Only the deer know.  They don't always bed in the same spot and they are on the move now too.  I would certainly go back and have a look.  Make sure you have the wind right.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2016, 11:06:37 PM »
Yesterday we found a big 4x4 blacktail bedded in a 2 year old cut with a doe. There is rubs every where I go. Even saw where bucks were fighting on an old grade. Tomorrow and Monday will be awesome.

Centralia's hot and Chehalis is cold.  As they say in Real Estate/business: Location, location, location.

Took the morning off and went to my daughter's soccer match in Portland.  Watched the last quarter of the 'Hawks then hit the woods.  Still slow in Ryderwood (go figure) but did glass up a deer in an alder patch on a private cut.  I couldn't see it at all at 50 yards without glass, and couldn't tell what it was behind the big alders.  25 minutes later, I finally confirmed it was a doe, still standing motionless, and which it continued to do for about 45 minutes more.  I sit tight watching her until it was getting dark, still hoping for a visitor of the bucky type.  5:50 baby buck stands up next to mom and she gives him a bath.  Definitely not a hot doe.  Fog descends, time to go home.   Still no rutting activity that I can find.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2016, 01:42:11 AM »
I've seen fresh rubs every day. A couple of spots had new rubs every time I went in there. But the bucks were hard to find. I did see one decent 3 point by himself in the timber but couldn't get a shot. Ran into a few groups of 2-3 does with no bucks.
A small 2 point stepped out in the open with two does today so i dropped him. Not stinky, no swollen neck.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2016, 05:46:56 AM »
I finally saw some rut activity one hour before dark yesterday, it was about a mile away and saw a deer chasing another deer.  But it was too far away to see antlers and I couldn't have got to them before dark.  Might have to call in sick today!!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2016, 05:58:09 AM »
Probably a couple does
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Dr. Death

• Longhunter
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »
Saw a stud 4pt yesterday with a doe, he was dumb as a box of rocks...Next year I guess I'd better buy a multi season tag..

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
Yesterday we found a big 4x4 blacktail bedded in a 2 year old cut with a doe. There is rubs every where I go. Even saw where bucks were fighting on an old grade. Tomorrow and Monday will be awesome.

Centralia's hot and Chehalis is cold.  As they say in Real Estate/business: Location, location, location.

Took the morning off and went to my daughter's soccer match in Portland.  Watched the last quarter of the 'Hawks then hit the woods.  Still slow in Ryderwood (go figure) but did glass up a deer in an alder patch on a private cut.  I couldn't see it at all at 50 yards without glass, and couldn't tell what it was behind the big alders.  25 minutes later, I finally confirmed it was a doe, still standing motionless, and which it continued to do for about 45 minutes more.  I sit tight watching her until it was getting dark, still hoping for a visitor of the bucky type.  5:50 baby buck stands up next to mom and she gives him a bath.  Definitely not a hot doe.  Fog descends, time to go home.   Still no rutting activity that I can find.
Shelton has been cold too.  Not even seeing does, course with all the vehicle traffic it is no wonder.  Truck passing every clearcut every couple minutes, so they are just saying bedded in the timber until dark.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2016, 03:04:17 PM »
You are all full of poo!  I moved North because of the poor hunting SW. 

Kitsap/Key Peninsula today - absolute pouring rain, no hunters in the field, not one deer in 'hood.  Perfect habitat, fresh sign at every step.  No deer chasing, no deer cruising, no deer anywhere.   A single buck chasing a doe is not a rut in full swing.  This is pissin' me off!  Freekin Blacktail!

They are not in "full rut" yet. Guys see a buck trailing a doe and think full rut which isn't correct. Cruise and seek phase is just starting, total lockdown/stupidity phase isn't going to happen for a few weeks yet. Thank god for my late tag, they are gonna be cranked up come second week of November
I'd say your either an idiot or just don't know about deer. Just FYI, I harvested over 300 deer before the age of 15. I've seen about everything when it comes to deer hunting. For you to tell other people that the deer aren't in rut just proves that you don't know deer. My family owns 14,000 acres, yes 14,000. I know that deer can be in full rut in one part of our land, and nothing in a different part not 5 miles away. It's all about the does and NO PERSON can tell you when a doe will go into her cycle. The deer on one part of my property ARE DEFINITELY in full rut!

Now come back at me and tell me I
don't know what I'm talking about. Another FYI, the state told use we have to take 350 does this year because we have to many deer.

In conclusion, don't tell people that say their deer, in their area aren't in full rut. It just makes you look like an idiot!

Idiot?  Hmmm,  Let me help you out:  the correct spelling is "too" when you say too many deer (instead of to many deer).  You crack me up!  Three hundred deer by age 15?  By any chance are you a Native American?  Chill dude!  Don't get your panties in a wad.

Not a native, my grandfather was Mafioso. He was forced to get rid of some money, lucky for me he bought 8+ in Louisiana 6- in Mississippi, all touching.
And yes, I wasn't lying, I harvested over 300 easy before 15.
Sorry about my grammer, I'm not very book smart. But I make up for it in the woods.
Yes, your right, I should chill out. I just don't like other people telling me I don't know when I see rut action. " Full  rut action".
Sorry if I offended anyone.

P.S. I've been in a tree since 6am. Have only seen 3 doe, a fawn,  spike, and a 3x2. I think the big boys are with the does now. I hope I just see a little 4 today :(
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Sourdough
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »
Im just curious how u kill easilly 300 before 15? What age did u start hunting? How many a year did u kill? Just doesnt add up?? If ubstarted hunting at the age of 8 that would be almost 43 deer/year?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2016, 07:13:29 PM »

Not a native, my grandfather was Mafioso. He was forced to get rid of some money, lucky for me he bought 8+ in Louisiana 6- in Mississippi, all touching.
And yes, I wasn't lying, I harvested over 300 easy before 15.
Sorry about my grammer, I'm not very book smart. But I make up for it in the woods.
Yes, your right, I should chill out. I just don't like other people telling me I don't know when I see rut action. " Full  rut action".
Sorry if I offended anyone.

P.S. I've been in a tree since 6am. Have only seen 3 doe, a fawn,  spike, and a 3x2. I think the big boys are with the does now. I hope I just see a little 4 today :(

No worries here.  I didn't intend to suggest that you didn't know what you were talking about. Hope you score a big one!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal