collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Rut  (Read 56862 times)

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: Blacktail Rut
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »
I've been out for 2.5 days, have seen over 50 deer. Only one of those was a buck and he was a small two point, my fiancé was close to punching her tag on him but he was a little too quick. A buddy of mine shot a nice two point and it was hanging with a couple smaller bucks and no does. Have the last 5 days of the season off, hoping for the best!
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline xwizard50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2016, 08:23:45 PM »
Got,a nice 2 point this morning, had a doe with it. Took to the butcher, they told me that they have gotten several bucks that were in rut. They also said that this has been a record year so far for them as for as deer are concerned.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2016, 08:49:16 PM »
Still dead, nothing moving, no fun   >:(
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
Still dead, nothing moving, no fun   >:(
Same here fishnfur.  3 days out we have seen 1 deer and that was 260yrd+ and head was in trees with no way to ID and no real way to get over closer without busting it out.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2016, 02:40:58 PM »
I'm not a BT expert for sure but isn't the general thoughts on BT rut timing as follows; early NOV - pre rut, mid NOV - peak rut, and end of NOV post rut?  Just asking for personal education ;)
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »
I'm not a BT expert for sure but isn't the general thoughts on BT rut timing as follows; early NOV - pre rut, mid NOV - peak rut, and end of NOV post rut?  Just asking for personal education ;)

Hopefully it works that way this year. This late tag is burning a hole in my pocket.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2016, 04:21:21 PM »

Seems to be a week or two earlier than that. Pre-rut usually starts the second, 3rd or last week of October. What I would call the "rut" would be first 10 days of November. Sometimes pre-rut seems to be better than the actual rut given big buck trail cam activity. Usually by beginning of late rifle things are really starting to slow down and everything after that seems to be very hit and miss. Pockets of short activity. I've seen some pre rut sign in some areas and not so much in others.

Out now so we'll see what happens!
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
In my experience the peak is the second week of November. That is based on the use of trail cameras. After about the 14th of November, buck activity drops to practically nothing.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »
I agree with the last two posts too.  Also, there are pockets of activity during the pre-rut when a few of does will enter early estrous and get the bucks running around.  If you're in the right place at the right time, you'd think you were in the peak of the rut - bucks acting stupid right out in the open.  That is why you hear many reports of the rut going strong from one hunter when many others are seeing nothing. 

As October progresses, more and more does enter their first estrous, during which they are only fertile for one day, so that by Halloween, most of the good bucks are now up and cruising.   By the peak of the rut, generally accepted to be in the second week of November (but can vary by a few days either way), you have a mix of does  in their first estrous (the majority of does) along with some of the does who were not successfully bred in October starting a second estrous period around or just following that time. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »
In my experience the peak is the second week of November. That is based on the use of trail cameras. After about the 14th of November, buck activity drops to practically nothing.

I would say my trail cam photos over the past 5 or so years would agree with this. About end of second week or beginning of third week of November big bucks seem to stop cruising main trails. I get more mature bucks on camera 3rd week in October than 3rd week in November. I've found that if I don't have a buck killed (archery during modern with multi season) by end of general modern than it's a true war of atrition trying to kill a mature buck. I've struggled bad in late archery.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2016, 07:03:52 PM »
Spike bt thatvwas dropped yesterday was chasing.  Doe was not interested. Should be turning on.

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »

I would say my trail cam photos over the past 5 or so years would agree with this. About end of second week or beginning of third week of November big bucks seem to stop cruising main trails. I get more mature bucks on camera 3rd week in October than 3rd week in November. I've found that if I don't have a buck killed (archery during modern with multi season) by end of general modern than it's a true war of atrition trying to kill a mature buck. I've struggled bad in late archery.

I've seen that during the second week of November, most big bucks aren't cruising anymore and are locked down with the does that are about to come into estrus.  The only cruising they are doing is right on the tails of those does.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »

I've seen that during the second week of November, most big bucks aren't cruising anymore and are locked down with the does that are about to come into estrus.  The only cruising they are doing is right on the tails of those does.

I've had the same horrible luck during late archery season.  All hope should not be lost though.  I got my buck on the 18th of Nov. last year.  He ran out of the bush at last light to meet a doe in the middle of a clearcut who was out there waiting for him.  The peak of the rut is pretty much over at that point, but there are still some does around that are ready to breed.  Also, there is a number of does that will hit a second or third estrous usually in the first week or so of December.  They may cycle through estrous, every 20 - 28 days, up to five or more times, continuing until impregnated - sometimes into February/March.  (Just like human women, some does have trouble conceiving.)   As the season gets later and colder though, deer activity wanes quickly due to the enormous amount of energy lost being up and moving during the lean winter months.  Hunting gets tough.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2016, 10:02:29 PM »

I've had the same horrible luck during late archery season.  All hope should not be lost though.  I got my buck on the 18th of Nov. last year.  He ran out of the bush at last light to meet a doe in the middle of a clearcut who was out there waiting for him.  The peak of the rut is pretty much over at that point, but there are still some does around that are ready to breed.  Also, there is a number of does that will hit a second or third estrous usually in the first week or so of December.  They may cycle through estrous, every 20 - 28 days, up to five or more times, continuing until impregnated - sometimes into February/March.  (Just like human women, some does have trouble conceiving.)   As the season gets later and colder though, deer activity wanes quickly due to the enormous amount of energy lost being up and moving during the lean winter months.  Hunting gets tough.
Sometimes I'm surprised by just how late. Saw a doe with twin fawns first week of October still had their spots. I couldn't believe how small they still were.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:23 PM »
I've seen similar - a tiny fawn during late buck.  They generally won't make it through the winter born late.  No body fat to last through the winter.  It might just kill the mother trying to nurse a fawn through a cold winter too.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal