collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Rut  (Read 56852 times)

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Blacktail Rut
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2016, 11:23:36 AM »
I'd pass and let him grow up  :chuckle:
I have for the last 3 years. But his right side never looked like that. He might have got injured :dunno:. Either way, if I see him or the 6 point that was with him all summer. I'm shooting...... And praying I hit my mark :o
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »
Good luck whitenuckles! That's a stud!

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »
For all you guys that are wondering why I didn't shoot then..... I'm waiting on a cool looking 7x5. He's got drop time on his left side. Unfortunately I missed him by 17 mins on Sunday :bash:
Damn!! Bruiser

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
The rut is going here in Olympia.  I hunted for about an hour today at the crack of 9 and had a buck in the brush chasing a doe in circles.  I couldn't get a shot in the vine maple and salmon berries but he was a nice branch antlered buck and hot on her rear.  There are rubs all over the place.

Offline PNWJimbo

• Knife Addict
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: PSMS
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2016, 03:28:48 PM »
The rut is in full swing in my neck of the woods. Watched to mature bucks have an epic battle yesterday. And all the while a little 2 point was on top of one of the does. After the battle was over, I noticed one of the 4 points G2 was missing. So I went down to the "fighting ring" to look for it. I never found it but the wasn't a standing piece of brush in a 30 yard circle. It was crazy to see how much ground the can destroy in a matter of minutes. After sleeping on it, if I see that buck again, he's giving up his ghost :chuckle:

That really must have been something to see  :yike:

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2016, 03:31:31 PM »
My buddy sent me this pic yesterday of this truck in downtown Bellingham chasing a doe.

that's a beefy boy, thick. They know how to tease us popping up where and when we can't get 'em

That's a tweaker disguised as a deer.  He is using the disguise to burglarize vehicles and is a threat to public safety.  Fire away. 

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
Passed up a couple nice young bucks this morning. They are starting to cruise, the rut seems to be on schedule for the first couple weeks of November.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
We tagged out. Kids on the 15th. Wives on the 23rd and mine yesterday.  After I shot the crab claw buck driving out a giant stood in the ditch and probably woulda let me shoot him. I went for the camera but battery was dead from filming my buck...  he was on does and looked to be 18" wide or so...  if my buck wast my biggest blacktail I'd be mad.  :chuckle: incentive to hold out on future hunts. I kinda figure a giant was about to walk out as soon as I notched my tag lol.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
You are all full of poo!  I moved North because of the poor hunting SW. 

Kitsap/Key Peninsula today - absolute pouring rain, no hunters in the field, not one deer in 'hood.  Perfect habitat, fresh sign at every step.  No deer chasing, no deer cruising, no deer anywhere.   A single buck chasing a doe is not a rut in full swing.  This is pissin' me off!  Freekin Blacktail!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »

Kitsap/Key Peninsula today - absolute pouring rain, no hunters in the field, not one deer in 'hood.  Perfect habitat, fresh sign at every step.  No deer chasing, no deer cruising, no deer anywhere.   A single buck chasing a doe is not a rut in full swing.  This is pissin' me off!  Freekin Blacktail!

They are not in "full rut" yet. Guys see a buck trailing a doe and think full rut which isn't correct. Cruise and seek phase is just starting, total lockdown/stupidity phase isn't going to happen for a few weeks yet. Thank god for my late tag, they are gonna be cranked up come second week of November
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2016, 09:33:32 PM »
That big buck was the fourth buck I had seen tending a doe. Full rut no, but extra stupid already yes.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
My son was woken up at 5:30 by two bucks fighting behind the house. Cruising around after shooting hours, we saw two spikes with their noses up doe's butts.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »

The back yard kitsap bucks are chasing does. The "wild" bucks are still really secluded. I've been out the last couple days in the rain and not much moving, but lots of sign and tons of rubs. Almost hit a big 4 pnt driving home tonight after dark. He was chasing a doe. One thing about kitsap, seems the last few years there are more backyard deer than huntable timber co. land deer.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »

:chuckle:
a couple years ago I was having the samev kind of season your having. Id go out every chance I got, and stare into the brush till my eyes were bleeding. I'd come home at night, get on huntwa, and look at the blacktails taken that day. When I would see a buck it would have already seen me.
 Then, on the last day, and the last 10 minutes of my season, I smelled a nasty rutted up buck. It stopped me in my tracks. Just then, 3 deer took off up the hill to my right. 1 stopped and looked back at me. He ended up being my second biggest buck to date. Don't quit until its over. :chuckle:
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2016, 12:06:59 AM »

:chuckle:
a couple years ago I was having the samev kind of season your having. Id go out every chance I got, and stare into the brush till my eyes were bleeding. I'd come home at night, get on huntwa, and look at the blacktails taken that day. When I would see a buck it would have already seen me.
 Then, on the last day, and the last 10 minutes of my season, I smelled a nasty rutted up buck. It stopped me in my tracks. Just then, 3 deer took off up the hill to my right. 1 stopped and looked back at me. He ended up being my second biggest buck to date. Don't quit until its over. :chuckle:

Thanks for the attitude check.  Watched a Steve Rinella show tonight where they were beat down in the rain In Alaska chasing Sitka's.  They were hating life.  I could totally relate. Been a long season already.  It get hard to justify spending time away from the loved ones for nothing.  I've been working my tail off on stand, hitting cuts, and still hunting in downpours for weeks.  It's getting old. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]