collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ATV Question  (Read 21240 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: ATV Question
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »
Norsepeak,

So what about "Green Dot" roads? You're not saying they are automatically legal for ATV use just because it's part of a green dot management system, right?

Also, I'm not doubting you, as you seem to be more educated on the subject than most of us are, but it sure seems odd that it would be legal to ride cross country on National Forest land, but illegal to ride on the roads.

Ahh let me clarify this.  Yes green dots you can ride an ORV licensed vehicle however roads require a street legal vehicle and street legal driver..... I *censored* you not....my son almost got a ticket for riding his jr50 10 feet off the green dot trail onto the "road" in south fork meadows of Taneum.......he was all of 6 yrs old.  After the warning and detailed explanation he learned to turn it off and push it the last 10 feet of trail and into the camping area....

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
That's right, from what I know anyway. Forest service roads (in Washington) are only for street legal vehicles. It doesn't matter if it has a green dot on it or not. The green dots have nothing to do with being legal for ATV's. It just means the road is open while all others without the green dot are closed.

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 08:03:29 PM »
Not all Forest Service roads are closed to ATVs. Just depends on the Ranger Station. In the Colville National Forest it is leagal to ride ATV's on FS and county roads.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 08:04:50 PM »
That's right, from what I know anyway. Forest service roads (in Washington) are only for street legal vehicles. It doesn't matter if it has a green dot on it or not. The green dots have nothing to do with being legal for ATV's. It just means the road is open while all others without the green dot are closed.

The issue is with green dot trails green dots typically mean orv allowed but if it is a ROAD your atv and/or dirt bike better also be street legal....ie turn signals and headlamps and driver who is licensed..... and it does get darned confusing.  The original poster's question however has been addressed just have a legal vehicle and legal driver and make sure the passenger is wearing a helmet and good to go.....

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Yes I know it does depend on which Ranger District you are in, but it seems most of them, at least the ones I'm most familiar with, have big signs saying "ATV's/Quads are not legal anywhere behind this sign," or something to that effect.

Other states are much more lenient with ATV use on public lands. I've used my 4 wheeler in both Idaho and Oregon, on National Forest and BLM land, and you can ride on most roads that are open to other motorized vehicles.

It's ridiculous, in my opinion, that ATV's in this state can't ride on "jeep trails"  or any other dirt/gravel PUBLIC road, simply because it is not a street legal vehicle. I do understand why some areas prohibit them...it's to keep the people that only are interested in using public lands as a race track to ride their toys, as fast as they possibly can.

I guess even the Forest Service must feel these laws are stupid as I don't see any enforcement of the no ATV rule during hunting season. I was deer hunting a couple years ago off of Blewett Pass and it seems everybody up there was cruising around on an ATV. Right behind the huge signs saying that ATV's are not legal there.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
The original poster's question however has been addressed just have a legal vehicle and legal driver and make sure the passenger is wearing a helmet and good to go.....

I haven't seen his question answered. He did say "green dot roads," not "green dot trails." If it's a green dot road on National Forest, it probably is not legal. However the question cannot be answered here as he never stated where he was wanting to ride, just that it was a green dot road. Having said that, even if it's not legal, he'll probably be ok, as they seldom enforce the no ATV's on Forest Service roads law.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
HMMMM

I think we have a communication breakdown going on  :chuckle: :chuckle: green dot trails (some call them roads) are typically ORV ( ATV, dirtbike) legal UNLESS posted that they are closed.  This is the entire point of the green dot system.  Now the roads leading to the trails/roads with a green dot marker are often considered roads requiring street legal vehicles.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 08:34:20 PM »
Well I think we are communicating just fine.  ;)  We just don't agree.   
green dot trails (some call them roads) are typically ORV ( ATV, dirtbike) legal UNLESS posted that they are closed.  This is the entire point of the green dot system.

This is what I don't agree with. The green dot system's purpose is to CLOSE roads to motorized vehicle use, in order to provide undisturbed areas for wildlife. Although I am sure some of the ORV trails on National Forest are green dot roads/trails, this does not mean ALL green dot roads are open for ATV use.

See quote below from Cle Elum Ranger District website:

REMEMBER

In all area on the Ranger District you must stay on the signed/system trails that are open to your vehicles use.

ATV's are not allowed on single tread trails.

ATV's and some Motorcycles do not meet Washington state laws for being street legal and are not allowed on Forest Service roads. The Fine is $100.00

For more information about ATV's contact the Cle Elum ORV Rangers.

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »
You would think the rules would be the same from for every Forest. I'm lucky enough to live 45 minutes from Idaho where I can ride my ATV allover the place. If I was limited to Washington, there is no way I could justify owning a ATV.

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 10:32:32 PM »
Bobcat, my understanding through my research is that Green Dot roads are open to OHV's.  That's the point of the green dot system.  In our neck of the woods, the majority of the green dot system falls on DNR land not F.S..  And I agree with you that it is absolutley crazy that ATV's can ride where ever they want offroad on national forest, but not on road....that's exactly what our club has been fighting with the f.s. over, it makes no sense.  The problem is the classification of the forest service roads.  There are 5 levels of roads in Wa.  Levels 1 and 2 (trails and jeep trails or unimproved) are legal for atv's however, forest service roads are considered level 3 and are actually county roads, meaning you must be street legal.  No big deal, right....well since the mid 80's some legislation was passed the makes it impossible to license an atv for street use because the titles all say OHV on them...I know it's retarded and we have been fighting hard to get it changed, but no luck.  One odd thing though is that on the Naches Ranger dist. it says right in there road managment plan that atv's are encouraged to ride on all roads that have been block with a "tank trap" or dirt berm......duh!!! go figure that one out.  You can't ride on the road to get to the trail, but you can ride on all of the old roads that have been closed...makes no sense.

Offline firefighter4607

• Sourdough
    • My Elk Story (picture of elk on my Avatar)
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 03:49:30 AM »
I haven't seen his question answered. He did say "green dot roads," not "green dot trails." If it's a green dot road on National Forest, it probably is not legal. However the question cannot be answered here as he never stated where he was wanting to ride, just that it was a green dot road. Having said that, even if it's not legal, he'll probably be ok, as they seldom enforce the no ATV's on Forest Service roads law.
C-money original question was:
Anyone know if it legal to take my 3yo daughter trail riding on my ATV using green dot roads? We would ride double, both wearing helmits. I ride the green dots all the time, just wondering if there is a law on the books prohibiting riding double.
So he got more information than he asked for. He has seen  Fish & Wildlife officers and other law enforcement officers where he rides and has talked to them. He was just wondering if he could ride double with his daughter. I know where C_money rides so I looked up the inforamtion that is important to him. You have to check with each ranger district to see what their rules are on ATVs. Like Wentachee Forest says, "Many areas are open and accessible to those who enjoy recreating on ATVs and OSVs during the winter months". So you would have to check with a ranger to see where and when you can ride a ATV.

270 Shooter is the one that wanted to know about the green dot trails/roads. So now we are talking about Green dot trails/roads. As I said before and I will say again you have to talk to the Forest Service Ranger Disrict that you are going to be riding in.
Here is a link to the Forest Service Page just srcoll down to Washington to get Park information:http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml If you have any questions about this just call the correct District and they will help you out. In the Colville National Forest they have different roads that different vehicles can travel including ATVs, look for MVUM(Motor Vehicle Use Maps) :twocents:

Offline firefighter4607

• Sourdough
    • My Elk Story (picture of elk on my Avatar)
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 04:00:37 AM »
Firefighter,
If you need more info or want to become involved in the educated use of atvs check out our club.  Cascade quad squad.

:chuckle: I actually have your clubs website in my favorites under four wheeler. I was looking for information on this topic in many off road club websites. I think you should talk to your webmaster and get the rest of the links to work and maybe a link to see different pictures of your rides. Kind of like the Peak Putters do. :tung:
When I buy a quad I will contact your website maybe to go with you guys on some rides, and C-money would come to if he isn't working. :chuckle:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 05:59:38 AM »
Now the roads leading to the trails/roads with a green dot marker are often considered roads requiring street legal vehicles.

+1

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »
OK, so it's pretty much as I said in my first post:

It depends on where these "green dot" roads are.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 08:51:23 AM »
Yeah it is funny. It's funny how the rules regarding ATV's in this state are so confusing even law enforcement officials don't know the rules.   :bash:

Any question regarding ATV use is far from simple.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal