collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slug or no slug  (Read 3238 times)

Offline treeclimber2852

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Slug or no slug
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »
So tomorrow, Friday and Saturday I will be hunting with my boys and dad over in the Colville area (unit 108).  My one son will be hunting does on private land for the Safari Club hunt with my dad sitting at his side.  He will have my grandpa's (his great-grandpa's) 1907 Springfield -06.  My other son will be with me on public land with his 7mm-08.  Both boys have the modern general tag.  I have multi-season but haven't been out much except for early archery on the west side.  I have a 12 gauge Stoeger turkey gun with smooth bore.  Should I even bother carrying that with rifled slugs while hunting with my son and his 7mm-08 or should I leave it at home? 

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
Re: Slug or no slug
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »
Depends on what your Stoeger is choked.  Others may disagree but I do not fire hard slugs, out of anything tighter than a cylinder bore choke.  As your Stoeger is not rifled it would also not be any advantage to fire a "rifled" slug from a smooth bore barrel.   You might want to think about a Brenneke slug for such use.

Currently it has the cylinder bore choke in. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »
If it were me I'd pack a pistol or 2. 22lr and a hunting caliber.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »
No idea of kids age or skill, or your reasons for considering carrying a gun, or a shotgun for that matter.

Do you not own another rifle?

00 heavy shot buck in 3" or 3.5" is my choice for shotgun deer. The same in lead would be second choice.

If your anticipating the possible need to bat cleanup, then a shotgun with buckshot is a #1 choice for short range work. Rifle for long range of course.

The only case I've seen for smooth bore slugs over buckshot is in 20ga. shotguns.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 01:40:13 PM »
I've shot 10+ deer with a 12 ga smooth bore and 2 3/4" slugs, usually shoot Winchester super x but those are hard to find around where I have been looking so I have tested some Federal blue box 2 3/4" and they group fine and are fairly cheap.  You can bat cleanup well out to a hundred yards with those no problem.  If you don't try to hit the shoulder there is very little meat loss, similar to an lung shot with an arrow.

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 02:37:21 PM »
I've shot 10+ deer with a 12 ga smooth bore and 2 3/4" slugs, usually shoot Winchester super x but those are hard to find around where I have been looking so I have tested some Federal blue box 2 3/4" and they group fine and are fairly cheap.  You can bat cleanup well out to a hundred yards with those no problem.  If you don't try to hit the shoulder there is very little meat loss, similar to an lung shot with an arrow.

That was my plan.  I have my best shooter with me...with his 7mm-08 he's a dead shot out to 200 yards 3" groups all day long.  I'm more worried about a tight in shot on a moving target.  I wanted to have something to do just that - bat cleanup if he misses or wings it in close. 

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
I would rather shoot buckshot, unless I have spent time at the range to know where my smooth bore hits with slugs.  :twocents:
another option as stated above. Carry a legal pistol

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
00 buck shot ! 60 yards and in . killed plenty with that combo .or carry the bow ?
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Mike450r

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 07:39:57 AM »
Depends on what your Stoeger is choked.  Others may disagree but I do not fire hard slugs, out of anything tighter than a cylinder bore choke.  As your Stoeger is not rifled it would also not be any advantage to fire a "rifled" slug from a smooth bore barrel.   You might want to think about a Brenneke slug for such use.

It is always advantageous to shoot a rifled slug from a smoothbore shotgun.  Otherwise you are essentially catapulting a chunk of lead with no stabilizing spin. 

Maybe you meant no advantage to using slugs designed for rifled barrels?

As for the question about taking the gun or leaving it at home, I say take it.  if you don't  Murphy's law will go into effect and you will wish you did.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 08:04:16 AM »
I'd leave it at home and concentrate on helping my son get a shot. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »
Use either hose clamps or electrical tape to attach a fishing rod eyelet to the rear of the receiver to use as a peep sight and your front bead will work as a front sight.  That is if your turkey gun doesn't already have sights on it. 

I have never seen a smooth barrel shotgun that wouldn't group within about 5" at a hundred yards with Foster slugs when the gun also had sights on it.  Most guns do better than that. These slugs go sub sonic betw 100 and 200 yards and accuracy goes to pot.  Here is what is most important, you need to try various Foster slugs to find out which one if best.  Try Brennekes too, some guns shoot them very well indeed.

I have personal knowledge of more deer that have been hit and lost with buckshot than any other weapon.  I hate the stuff.  I don't use it, but I know a few guys who do. 

Again you have to try out various buckshot loads to find out which one is best for your gun. 

This is the best buckshot I know of: http://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/shotshell/caliber/12-gauge/vital-shok-buckshot-with-flitecontrol-wad/pfc157-00

Guys I know have done extensive testing and there is nothing else that comes close

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:00:59 PM by JDHasty »

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
I've shot at least ten deer with buck shot and not lost one . typically guys loose them because the areas they hunt are brushy as hell and they cant or wont follow up. I used to hunt with a mossburg 500 with a 20 inch open choke barrel and 00 buck it was deadly out to fifty yards , when I threw a slugger scoped barrel on it my effective range with slugs increased but I lost that quick close range effectiveness .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »
I've shot at least ten deer with buck shot and not lost one . typically guys loose them because the areas they hunt are brushy as hell and they cant or wont follow up. I used to hunt with a mossburg 500 with a 20 inch open choke barrel and 00 buck it was deadly out to fifty yards , when I threw a slugger scoped barrel on it my effective range with slugs increased but I lost that quick close range effectiveness .

Where I hunt it is brushy as hell.  I have tried to help others out, who I came across, who were trying to find a deer quite a few times.  No blood trail.   

But some people do hunt with it and with great success.   

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »
Vie seen one .32 cal pellet kill a deer if all 8 hit the party is over .

Offline wt

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »
2x Bob. If  things go sideways you can always have your son hand over the rifle out of necessity. I'll be out with my 10 yr old and his 7mm-08 this Saturday, I'll leave my gun at home knowing it's the only way I can focus on his game 100%. If he tags out and we get another opportunity, I shoot his youth model fine. Just one way to go. I'd be afraid of indecision if one popped up in front of both of us, if we both had rifles and I didn't think he could respond quick enough, this way every opportunity is his until he tags out or we head home.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal