collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pork price  (Read 10720 times)

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
Re: Pork price
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 08:00:12 AM »
Be careful at the auctions.  I worked in one years ago.  They'll slip one in on you if you aren't watching.  Also, it will be hard to buy singletons.  You usually buy a lot.  If you have others interested in pigs or have room, it can work in your favor.  The singletons they sell at auctions are usually not worth purchasing.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 08:06:42 AM »
Good luck.  I raise a much different product and have high feed costs etc.... cheap food is killing farming.  Better prepare to eat Chinese products.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 08:16:33 AM »
Also don't know if its been said. You do not know the vaccination history on the animals sold. So I would no recommend getting a animal and killing it right off the bat. Some vaccines are harmful to humans. If you are going to buy it and put 30-60 days of finish on a animal then you should be ok. I know a few wormers say do not kill and eat for 90 dayos.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
We raised 6 hogs this year. We sold 5 hogs at $3.50 a pound with no cutting/wrapping or kill fee. Everyone was more than happy to pay that as our pork doesn't taste like the pig pen they were raised in, we feed them hog grower grain only (zero scraps), fresh clean water at all times and they have a perfect amount of fat on them when they are finished which is an average hanging weight of 275 pounds. We made enough money to cover weiner pig purchase, feed cost, our 1 hog paid for and around $900 in our pocket. Plus we cut and wrapped our own hog which helped with our cost. Brew, hope you get to raising hogs again, I agree, they are very entertaining to have. We look forward to start our next batch this April, can't wait!
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
Good luck.  I raise a much different product and have high feed costs etc.... cheap food is killing farming.  Better prepare to eat Chinese products.
Agreed! Chinese raised pork...  :puke: :puke:
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Also don't know if its been said. You do not know the vaccination history on the animals sold. So I would no recommend getting a animal and killing it right off the bat. Some vaccines are harmful to humans. If you are going to buy it and put 30-60 days of finish on a animal then you should be ok. I know a few wormers say do not kill and eat for 90 dayos.
We raised 6 hogs this year. We sold 5 hogs at $3.50 a pound with no cutting/wrapping or kill fee. Everyone was more than happy to pay that as our pork doesn't taste like the pig pen they were raised in, we feed them hog grower grain only (zero scraps), fresh clean water at all times and they have a perfect amount of fat on them when they are finished which is an average hanging weight of 275 pounds. We made enough money to cover weiner pig purchase, feed cost, our 1 hog paid for and around $900 in our pocket. Plus we cut and wrapped our own hog which helped with our cost. Brew, hope you get to raising hogs again, I agree, they are very entertaining to have. We look forward to start our next batch this April, can't wait!
Agreed! Chinese raised pork...  :puke: :puke:
Be careful at the auctions.  I worked in one years ago.  They'll slip one in on you if you aren't watching.  Also, it will be hard to buy singletons.  You usually buy a lot.  If you have others interested in pigs or have room, it can work in your favor.  The singletons they sell at auctions are usually not worth purchasing.

absolutely agree with all above and as I've said never bought auction pork.  I'm tired of holding them through the winter so since I'm already setup for FFA hogs -but kids aren't showing hogs anymore, switching to steers- I'm going to just buy wieners in the spring, butcher in the fall, and not hold any in the winter.  I can't sell/consume enough to justify breeding when there's such a glut of hogs on the market and prices this low.  In fact I'm going to sausage my breeders sometime next month when I'm out of feed.  Going to have some stuffed freezers!

Prices being what they are though just buying from a reputable breeder that raises the product you want is very doable too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:09:21 AM by KFhunter »

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »
Yeah my sows are sausage soon

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 03:09:41 AM »
Probably why the store in Eatonville had pork shoulders at .69 a pound last week.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 04:08:20 AM »

I thought vaccines are harmless. That's what they promised when they wanted to inject my newborns with all kinds of needles

:stirthepot: :stirthepot:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw