collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best rubber/neo boots??  (Read 7996 times)

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
Re: Best rubber/neo boots??
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:07 PM »
I wear XtraTuff at work every day and I find them very comfortable.  Idk how they would be in the mountains though, as they are pretty soft. 

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 09:24:28 PM »
So are they good for a 7 mile hike through steep mnts?  If so I might be sold.

I would say not.  But 7 miles on non steep mountains all day long.  They don't provide ankle support.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 09:45:55 PM »
So are they good for a 7 mile hike through steep mnts?  If so I might be sold.

Personally, yes, I have done it many times. I think you would have to train your feet for it first though, kind of like getting your other packing muscles in shape. I wore them every day and wore out a pair in ~9 months so my feet were already conditioned to them.

http://www.xtratufboots.com/category/xtratuf-mens                 These?  Seem good but concerned about lack of traction climbing snotty hills?

Better traction than most, the chevron sole works very well and the fact they are somewhat soft n flexible allows them to mold around all the little bits of traction. An Airbob type sole does do better on really soft, slick slopes but they are not as good all around IMO.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »
I completely wear out a pair of muck boots every year. Wear them everyday.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 07:43:31 AM »
Vote for Xtratuff!  As mentioned above, great tread pattern! Look for the insulated ones; a little more thick and heavier duty.  My feet get hot very easily, so I wear the non-insulated. I started wearing them as a commercial fisherman; then loved them so much, I bought 3 pairs. Hunting, Commercial fishing and house work. haha

If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »
My daughter has a pair of Muck Chores.  She is a 4 season all weather horse chick.  She hates them unless it is below freezing, they are too warm for her

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 08:17:57 AM »
I've been wearing Xtratuf for 20 years at work. I buy the insulated ones. A lot of guys either put a wool insert in them or buy these little blue booties to slip on their feet and then put them on. If you are doing much walking in them I'd recommend bringing extra socks for sweat. I've tried them on a few hikes and didn't like them much on anything steep. :twocents:
They had a run of boots that were terrible when they switched to building them overseas (leaked/fell apart). That seems to be ironed out. A few guys at work switched to the Mucks then.

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 06:32:23 PM »
How do you guys stand hunting in rubber/neo boots, don't your feet sweat like crazy?  Is neoprene any better than rubber in this regards?  I've tried hunting in my Xtratuffs but had wetter feet from the sweat then I did a little leakage from my goretex boots.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 06:57:24 PM »
My feet sweat as bad in neo boots as much as any rubber/non-breathable boot. My feet don't sweat overly much, but I prefer XtraTufs over my GoreTex boots because after the first few trips my GoreTex boots are definitely wetter at the end of the day and take longer to dry out. Change your socks and insoles if it they arevtoo wet and the neo boots are good to go. My GT boots seem more like a sponge once wet and keep my feet much wetter over the long haul, especially when you are tromping through the puddles and streams that don't allow the outside to dry out and pass water vapor.

It is like using a Grunden jacket and bibs, you get wet from sweat but they dry out quicker and you don't get more wet from rain.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Best rubber/neo boots??
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 07:02:14 PM »
I had Lacrosse in the past and loved them, but currently I have a pair of Cabela's brand rubber boots and I think I like them even better. Very light and comfortable. Only got them because they had a good sale but if definitely recommend them especially if you get them on sale. Only bad thing is they're made in China, but they all are.

Offline Tjv28

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »
Xtra tuf. Nothing is quieter. To handle the rocky terrain problem just put some super feet or Sole foot beds in them and you are good to go.

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »
Get a pair of Bama Socks! They will keep your feet dry in any rubber boot. I wear Xtra Tuffs everyday for work and have for 15 years. Happy feet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
I wear thick merino wool in my mucks, works well.  I don't like them for extended hiking but a few miles isn't an issue.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal