collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sneak boat  (Read 4127 times)

Offline cliffordingles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: U.S. Army
Sneak boat
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:45:15 AM »
Hey so ive been looking, forums all over the internet say the plan are free. But  cannot find them. Im looking to build something like the hybrid 7 or 8 foot. Anyone have plans or do i just need to buy the plans?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Sneak boat
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:28:35 AM »
I have the plans for the NL. There are a few people on here who have made them. @Gasman @Iceman one of these guys made one, and i Know there are several others who have. From the extensive reading ive done on them it seems equil parts art and science, the "Free" plans dont have many details like dimensions and such. The big part is that resin and glass work requires warmer weather which er are in short supply of right now.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »
pm inbound
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline cliffordingles

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply boss! Ive only seen one set of "free" plans. I wasnt happy with them. The projects seems easy enough to do. I know a guy with a fiberglassing shop, so im covered there.

Im really just unsure if the plans im looking for are "free" or if they are $15 and up. Ill spend the little bit of money if i need to just searching my options. I was thinking ide like the Hybrid SN.

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 11:33:12 AM »
I just finished a hybrid NL and the plans were $25. The build can be as complex and as expensive, or as cheap and simple as you would like to make it.

My .02 is that overall it's a cool project, but that what you are paying for is the dimensions, chine angles, etc. The actually joinery method is pretty tar heel and I suggest following a legit boat shop. Something like this:

Pygmy kayaks is a local outfit that makes sea going kayaks and has put their entire 'how to' series online for you to see. Items like filling your seams with epoxy instead of construction adhesive, that sort of stuff.

Offline cliffordingles

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:03:37 PM »
Dry video, but good detail in how to do that. I really want to build one of these so i can throw it on top of my jeep and do some solo trips to some spots i know and not have to deal with my 15' canoe.

Constructeur, what was your total cost in the build? Did you do a build thread?

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
Mine was on the expensive side, but I spared no expense. I built an 11' boat with dog box, hunt deck, BS1088 Marine ply, system 3 epoxy, positive buoyancy, and I have a swamp runner longtail for it. It also had blind doors/dog door, and I sewed a cover up out of cordura with stubble straps, so I essentially have a large motorized floating field blind for the dog and I.

No build thread, but I've made a few posts in the Hybrid thread on refuge forums. My boat is overbuilt, but I'm a do it right the first time kind of guy, and will use my boat to run around deep water as necessary, so no corner cutting or 'close enough is good enough' on this build. If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask.

Offline cliffordingles

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »
Sounds pretty legit hahaha. Im not looking to go that crazy.

Been reading up on resins. Seems mixed reviews for the poly resin. Is it not a good choice? 

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »
It won't wear as well as epoxy. if I were in your shoes I'd play around with keeping it as light as possible. luan door skin, 4oz. fabric, figure out how to make back pack straps for it. Just know with the poly and the cheap wood it won't last too long. I do think if you use the better build methods via Pygmy you can get a stronger boat with less than if you follow the hybrid details.

Lots of guys do ok with painting their boat, there are lots of nice camo cordura fabric seconds available on ebay for cheap. I'm a fan of the windproof it can provide, as well as a baselayer to grass over. How you think best to solve your particular issues and needs is up to you though...

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »
http://www.raka.com/

Great source for epoxy, fiberglass and tools.  The measuring pumps make mixing a breeze.  Well worth the few extra bucks.  Buy more squeegeezs than you think you need. 

Offline cliffordingles

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »
I am aiming for light. And cheap. But not to the point that i wasted my time. Im still reading build threads online, figuring out what i would like. But the whole project seems easy enough so im gunna do it. 

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:27:03 AM »
I have built one and still have the plans, if you want them, you can have them. (I'm in Tacoma)

I will say this though, i,along with two other forum members had built boats using these plans, and we have all moved on to other things. The build was fun, boat worked out but there not the best thing out there, and you can get a kayak for around the same money or cheaper then what it would cost to build one.

The stability is awesome but rowing one is like rowing a bathtub. :chuckle: the flat bottom makes it where slot more effort is needed to get where you want to go.  You can get a new Beaver Tail duck boat for $425, and they row better.

I moved to a sit on to kayak that pitched at BPS last year, and it works great, lot easier to move around on water and land IMO.
For the price of the build you can get a kayak or used aluminium boat, which was  a better option to me.

I would be happy to answer any? ????
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline cliffordingles

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »
I have a canoe, a 11' alum boat, and a 14' flatbottom with a blind and a 50hp jet. All those work great. But require 2 people most the time.

I was thinking sneak boat would be a good solo boat. Am I wrong? I could try a kayak but the whole idea of the sneak boat was to have something small that i could throw in or on top of my jeep. I have access to some kayaks and an aquapod i could try out.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 08:32:47 AM »
I have a canoe, a 11' alum boat, and a 14' flatbottom with a blind and a 50hp jet. All those work great. But require 2 people most the time.

I was thinking sneak boat would be a good solo boat. Am I wrong? I could try a kayak but the whole idea of the sneak boat was to have something small that i could throw in or on top of my jeep. I have access to some kayaks and an aquapod i could try out.

If you have access to an kayak and aquapod, I would defiantly try them before making the plunge  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline cliffordingles

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 09:28:12 AM »
Its worth a try lol. I planned on putting a trolling motor on the sneak boat. I am just wanting small and light.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]