collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone have any issues with Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD)  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Sportfury

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Anyone have any issues with Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD)
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
My Sophie dog (GWP) crossed the rainbow bridge early at nine years old this summer.

After a divorce where I got no hunting done last year I was looking forward to this year. My new Girlfriend came through and ended up buying a Drahthaar pup for me.

Ruby is a great dog and truly different than any pup that I have before. She is very mellow and not as puppy like as most puppies that I have had in the past. When I went to get her second set of shots she had swollen lymph node glands in her legs and up in her neck. The vet decided to hold off and wait on giving her, her shots until the next week. We did this and then moved on for three weeks with Ruby seeming fine doing puppy things. Last week we noticed she was getting sluggish and a little lethargic. By Saturday she seemed stiff and her joints in her legs looked bigger than normal (we even had her at the vet this day with our other dog getting his shots). On Sunday when we got up her hind end didn't want to work and she was falling over. Her joints were huge along with her jaw. Off to the vet we went. I contacted the breeder and found that one of her siblings had the same issue. The vet their said HOD. After some tests our vet said the same thing. I guess HOD happens in large breed pups where the growth plates in the bones swell which causes swelling in the joints. It usually affect the legs, but can affect other areas also. It is not a genetic disease and neither one of her parents had this issue. The docs don't know exactly what causes it, but think it may be over nutrition.

We have Ruby on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication. She seemed like she was doing better until yesterday when we got home she had swelling in joints in her legs again. It was only day five of 14 days of medication, so I am hoping it will get better.

Has anyone ever had any issues with HOD? What did you do? Was there any long term affects for your dog? We paid a pretty penny for her and I was going to run her through all the VDD testing, so I am hoping for the best.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Anyone have any issues with Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:38:50 PM »
I have a freind who's draht pup imported from Germany had that problem, it's been about 20 years ago but if I recall right she had to limit the food intake and take her pup off of puppy feed ration. It worked itself out. I'm not a vet but I've had enough dogs to know that antibiotics for swelling of the joints won't do doodle squat as it's not an infection the dog is fighting, the body is fighting itself. I would say a pain medication and a feed change to slow the growth would be a good start. I'll get my vet book out and look it up. And I disagree with it not being genetic, the parents are each carriers of a recessive gene , genes can control growth (think about cattle). If each parent has that recessive and it gets paired up, voila it is expressed in an offspring, it happend twice in your pups litter.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:33 PM »
So my vet book says while there isn't a set treatment, that limiting excersise, a Nsaid like Rymadryl for the pain and an evaluation to make sure a well balanced diet and correct ration is being given. It also says to discontinue the use of mineral supplements. It says it's not uncommon to have two incidences of it as well. I tried to take a picture of the page and post it but was denied the posting so you got the high points.

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:15:52 AM »
Thanks wild weeds. Appreciate the reply. Ruby is starting to get better. We have her on Rymadryl and limited exercise. I think that is where we went wrong before. We weren't taking her out on a leash and as she felt better she would run around. This time she is being more limited in what she can do.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »
I resisted posting only because I've been told its a food/feeding issue. Too high protein food. Usually a no corn food but, that's just one.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline freberd

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 06:57:17 AM »
lots of great info on this site
great dane lady
sorry I cant get it to copy and paste

Are first chessie had this we ordered the kit and changed the diet
he recovered not sure what did the trick

you have a good vet apparently vaccines stimulate the system and our pup was in terrible pain after vaccines

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]