collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looks like i may finally get my dog (we picked him out today 11-5)  (Read 14800 times)

Offline bowjunkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
So after a rough weekend out on a hunting trip my friends dog Cody passed away in the hotel room after a morning of hunting doing what he loved ( RIP buddy) I have decided its time for me to get my own dog. I have  been window shopping for years and have it narrowed down to a GWP, Deutsch Drahthaar (my wife's favorite),Lab, or a Chesapeake. I duck/goose/upland in that order.  Its now time to check out kennels/breeders. i do have a new family a 3 yr old  and a 3 month old so a good family dogs is VERY important. hope to go see a couple kennels with these breeds. Super excited this will be my first hunting dog but i am not new to dogs or training as i have several years in the vet business have owned dogs for years and have been working with my hunting buddy and his dog for years.  i see in previous threads kennels for labs( i think i will take a look at tiger mountain pointing labs i meet a lab from them this weekend and seemed to be a great dog.) but not many if any for the others so if anyone has any good thoughts of where to check out Deutsch Drahthaar or chesapeakes or any other info i would appreciate it thanks.
thanks again
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 06:28:26 PM by bowjunkie »

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
Re: Looks like i may finally get my dog
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:08:04 AM »
not sure if you are stuck on a DD or if the GWP route is ok with you. If you are ok with the GWP variant then I have seen a lot of Bone point kennels dogs and they are top notch. they score well in NAVHDA and are hunting machines.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline bowjunkie

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
i really like GWP's but hunt cold water in moses and have gotten mixed reviews on gwp's and cold water.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »
not sure if you are stuck on a DD or if the GWP route is ok with you. If you are ok with the GWP variant then I have seen a lot of Bone point kennels dogs and they are top notch. they score well in NAVHDA and are hunting machines.

I'll second the Bone Point dogs, they are outstanding hunters.  If you put a neoprene vest on a Wirehair he'll hunt cold weather no problem.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline birdhntr

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: WCW, DU, PF
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:02:14 PM »
I have a 3year old pointing lab that I got from tiger mountain when he was 10 weeks old. This dog is a hunting machine, loves the water also. John puts his pups thru numerous tests for pointing instinct and how birdy they are. I haven't met anyone that has one of his dogs that isn't really happy with what great hunters they are!

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:02:52 PM »
I've seen both DD and Gwp. Wirehairs from the right breeding will do any cold weather hunting you can throw at them. I know most DD people will argue this but the difference between a gwp and a DD aren't much. It's the breeding itself that means most. Kelly jobes at bone point puts out some of the best wirehairs out there right now. I can promise you won't have any cold weather problems with one of his dogs.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline bowjunkie

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »
thank you, i have looked at his website seems i may need to get a hold of them they even have some pups still available. thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:30:21 PM by bowjunkie »

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »
I've seen both DD and Gwp. Wirehairs from the right breeding will do any cold weather hunting you can throw at them. I know most DD people will argue this but the difference between a gwp and a DD aren't much. It's the breeding itself that means most. Kelly jobes at bone point puts out some of the best wirehairs out there right now. I can promise you won't have any cold weather problems with one of his dogs.

Arguably the biggest difference is in sharpness. DD's are far more interested in killing furry critters than GWP's...though that's relative.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 05:25:50 PM »
Ya exactly the only difference I've observed. It's because they are bred to the German system. That's pretty much it. Fur is still a major aspect in Germany.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline ForestDump

• Tracker
  • Groups: Ruffed Grouse Society, Pheasants Forever, NRA, Audubon Society
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 02:50:50 AM »
A gwp will handle cold water as well as a dd. For your requirements the gwp will do the job they're more bird specific and great water retrievers. But since you're focusing mainly on waterfowl I'd go with a lab (I'm not a fan of the pausing labs but some people like them for whatever reason). The lab is a very powerful swimmer, it's not close, and they can still beat the brush and pick up upland birds.
There are only two types of dogs: wolves and wirehaireds.

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:05:14 AM »
If you are focused on waterfowl then it's hard to beat a lab.  If you want a great all around dog and this includes the family pet get the GWP. Prey drive will overcome any type of weather you can throw at him.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Duckgtr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 08:10:19 AM »
Chessie's are good for both as well, I grew up with them and they'd be watchful over us as kids. This is my brother's chessie last season down in CA.

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 09:04:11 AM »
Years ago had a DD and great prey drive but he went after everything including chickens and cats despite my efforts to socialize

another less common breed is the wired hair pointing griffon. Great prey drive, very friendly with people and other pets livestock, smart and versatile breed ( upland waterfowl) indoor family dog but without the great need to go after everything

as said most important is the breeding and genetics

Arguably the biggest difference is in sharpness. DD's are far more interested in killing furry critters than GWP's...though that's relative.

Offline Ruger

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 08:21:10 AM »
Sent PM

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 04:57:02 PM »
Years ago had a DD and great prey drive but he went after everything including chickens and cats despite my efforts to socialize

another less common breed is the wired hair pointing griffon. Great prey drive, very friendly with people and other pets livestock, smart and versatile breed ( upland waterfowl) indoor family dog but without the great need to go after everything

as said most important is the breeding and genetics

I've seen a lot of people write about how much they love their Griffs. I've also talked to a few and their comments about them were the same.

Wirehairs and DD's, no one argues their hunting prowess. The problem is they aren't afraid of a fight (fun times with skunks, porcupines, and snakes) and a number of them like to kill everything with fur. I'm sure they all come with their own quirks, but if I was looking for an "ugly dog" I'd be looking at a Pudelpointer, WPG, or Spinone. There is a really great Pudelpointer breeder out around Bend I am told and I know that Birdsboro Pointers and Spinoni in Michigan produced a dog (Birdsboro Punta Garin) that has done very well in NAVHDA events in the last year or two, as in making history for the breed (Spinoni) in NAVHDA.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]