collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Today wasn't as easy as yesterday  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Lcarey1985

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Today wasn't as easy as yesterday
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:18:45 PM »
Headed out after work. Bam right out of the gate jumped a rooster! One shot dropped like a rock... on a pond... AND send the dog... and send the dog.. and send the dog... yup I had to go swimming. She's a pup still learning.  So now I know what I gotta work on for sure. That's hunting though!
"Shoot where there going, not where they've been"

Offline Lcarey1985

• Tracker
Re: Today wasn't as easy as yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
Sorry I don't know why my pictures post sideways.

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
Haha, knowing how my pup was when I first introduced to her water I know the feeling!  It was hot and in the middle of summer though, the water felt good :chuckle:

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 06:50:30 AM »
My Springer hates water, I have learned not the hunt right next to a pond for the same reason.  I went swimming as well a couple of years ago

Offline GoBeavs85

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »
My gsp almost drowned as a pup and now doesn't like water retrieves. I was waist deep in a pond picking up a quail when my buddy asks "where's your phone". In my pocket dang it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline curtdiesel

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/2eaglesranch/
    • 2 Eagles Ranch
  • Groups: NRA, DU, CCA
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »
My dog was afraid of the water.  It took me 8 weeks, 1 day a week, to train him.  We started just getting his feet wet and moved a little deeper each session then added bumpers for him to get in the shallow area and slowly worked out from there.  Patients and taking it slow being the key.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »
Moses Lake here also.  My dog is a lab and initially she didn't like water that was deeper than her feet.  I threw sticks in the water for her.  She liked sticks.  I first started in wading water and kept tossing the sticks further and further.   She never noticed that eventually she was swimming and after a couple of sessions like that realized that swimming wasn't bad.... just new.

Offline Lcarey1985

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 09:01:39 AM »
mines a lab female  loves the water. . and one week prior to this she retrieved 3 teal out of that same pond same spot. . so not sure what was bugging her. . my guess is the mud  top is about foot of clear water and then 2 feet of mud. . so I'm guessing the mud maybe but were working on that and blind retrieves so hopefully with practice shell get it down. . thanks

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »
My lab leaped in the river and started swimming at 12 weeks old. Can't keep her out of the water! Getting her to retrieve a bird in water took a little bit of doing though. I found that there are birds she simply won't retrieve, and often when I clean those birds, they are stinky/smelly/nasty birds. I think she just decides they are no good and no need to bring them back.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
mines a lab female  loves the water. . and one week prior to this she retrieved 3 teal out of that same pond same spot. . so not sure what was bugging her. . my guess is the mud  top is about foot of clear water and then 2 feet of mud. . so I'm guessing the mud maybe but were working on that and blind retrieves so hopefully with practice shell get it down. . thanks

I was out in some of those mud ponds this morning.  Dog had one dive on her three times and the third time the duck never came up.  She was spinning around looking for the duck and I finally had to call her back.  The pond was so muddy we couldn't get out to put dekes in water and I had a stinky dog when I got home.  She ended up with a bath in the driveway.

Offline Lcarey1985

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »

I was out in some of those mud ponds this morning.  Dog had one dive on her three times and the third time the duck never came up.  She was spinning around looking for the duck and I finally had to call her back.  The pond was so muddy we couldn't get out to put dekes in water and I had a stinky dog when I got home.  She ended up with a bath in the driveway.

Yeah I hear you on that! Crazy thing is. A week before she retrieved three teal off same pond. No problem. So not sure what got her this time. But I got more work to do with her and she'll be alright. Just gotta put in my time.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »

Yeah I hear you on that! Crazy thing is. A week before she retrieved three teal off same pond. No problem. So not sure what got her this time. But I got more work to do with her and she'll be alright. Just gotta put in my time.

I suspect you and I are hunting ponds within a mile of each other.

Offline Lcarey1985

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 08:32:43 PM »

I suspect you and I are hunting ponds within a mile of each other.

Could be. I'm fairly new out here. But hunt all over the place!! Been looking for new ground. I like hiking in where most are to lazy to hike. Definitely gotta keep it quite. Tell one wrong person.  You know how it is.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand