collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Road hunting.... is it truly hunting?  (Read 26001 times)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Road hunting.... is it truly hunting?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
Merriam webster says hunting is the activity or sport of chasing and killing wild animals.

Yes, road hunting is hunting.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
Second one was a couple of guys in a black dodge Dakota, and if the driver spent as much time on not being a jerk as he did at the desert section of a buffet he would be a stand up guy :chuckle:  Was grouse hunting again and with my kids.  He drove by and then turned around, a hour later we finished our hunt, headed back to the truck and  started driving down the logging road to find him blocking the road so his passenger could look out the window with binos.  They then proceeded to drive between 2-5 MPH and stopping every time he saw a open area.  I tried the high beam then the horn, but he would not let me pass.  13 miles later we reached the end of the logging road and I was able to get on the highway.  :bash: :bash: :bash:

These are some of the reasons why road hunting has made me not a fan of it.  Most times I could care less, just venting on the past few bad times.

Wow, have never had that happen hunting in several states.  What an ass hat  :mor: 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
Last week I was driving up the dirt road to my house a truck in front of me stops a guy gets out shoulders a rifle. He then points it in to a hay field I say that is private property. He says he has permision. I say okay then pull your truck off the road pulls his truck over gets out and shoots a deer. He never hunted that deer he killed it. He missed out on hunting I pitty him he we look up at those antlers and no in his heart that all he did was kill a deer. I want to face my prey on their terms. I have two quads one above each knee this is how I roll. I am almost to the point of giving up binos trail cams you can keep them. I shot my deer this year at six feet with a stick and string.  The goal to be the best predator on two legs. My dad is 72and can't get around real well so when I go with we cruise around the woods I would call hit hunting. If it what you choose it is legal go for it just don't brag about anything other than shot.

That's you. You're not everyone. As long as you realize that, everyone's OK. We're losing hunters every year. The last thing we want to do is tell someone that what they're legally doing is wrong.
Everyone is not okay. I never said it is wrong to drive roads and kill animals. If done legally I could careless . The question was is it hunting and by definition it is not. One only has to logically look at the definition of the word. Killing a sow with cubs is legal but wrong. It is legal to shoot a elk at 100 yards with a 40 pound bow. So I won't except if it is legal it is fine camp.

You don't get to say what hunting is and what it isn't. Like I said, that's for each hunter to decide on their own, not you for them. And comparing road hunting to shooting a sow with cubs is ridiculous and like comparing apples to anvils. They're nothing alike. And some people can make a 100-yard shot. I'm not going to try it but I'm not going to judge them for it, either. You don't get to decide for everyone what's right or wrong. If they have a license and they're hunting legally, then stop judging and embrace them as fellow hunters and outdoorsmen. We have enough division and divisiveness in our communities. We don't need it between hunters.
I do get to say what is hunting for me as you state that is for each hunter to decide. The opening asked for a opion I gave mine. I am not going to embrace anyone for knowingly killing a sow with cubs as you state I should because the are with in the law.

You're just getting more bizarre with each post. I think you're just trying to argue. Not me. Have a nice day.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 01:51:52 PM »
I do feel there is getting lucky and earning it.
Please tell us what "earning" it means.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »
Last week I was driving up the dirt road to my house a truck in front of me stops a guy gets out shoulders a rifle. He then points it in to a hay field I say that is private property. He says he has permision. I say okay then pull your truck off the road pulls his truck over gets out and shoots a deer. He never hunted that deer he killed it. He missed out on hunting I pitty him he we look up at those antlers and no in his heart that all he did was kill a deer. I want to face my prey on their terms. I have two quads one above each knee this is how I roll. I am almost to the point of giving up binos trail cams you can keep them. I shot my deer this year at six feet with a stick and string.  The goal to be the best predator on two legs. My dad is 72and can't get around real well so when I go with we cruise around the woods I wouldnt call hit hunting. If it what you choose it is legal go for it just don't brag about anything other than shot.
Is a guy sitting in a tree stand hunting or shooting ?
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 02:04:05 PM »
Does the guy in the treestand have a pile of corn or salt or is it on a well used trail , it don't matter it's all a form of hunting,
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:15:31 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline krout81

• Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 02:18:43 PM »
Well I will say this, I have killed most of my deer because I saw them while driving.   I still had to drive past them pull over, and then sneak back to get a shot.  If driving somewhere to hunt and you come across a deer or elk and you are a so called "hike in hunter" are you going to drive right on by and go hike in?   Someone said something about quality animals and that's probably true, but you don't eat the rack so who cares. 
Flinging Arrows with Thunderhead 125's since 1992 
Why Change now?

Offline Timbuckto

• Tracker
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »
If you don't see the difference between driving the road. And scouting doing the work involved in choosing a site then sitting in elements for hours on end then killing a animal that you targeted in the off season. You should drive roads maybe you will jump something on the road.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 02:35:34 PM »
If you don't see the difference between driving the road. And scouting doing the work involved in choosing a site then sitting in elements for hours on end then killing a animal that you targeted in the off season. You should drive roads maybe you will jump something on the road.
sorry dude that makes no kinda sense at all
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Nailed it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 02:49:31 PM »
sorry dude that makes no kinda sense at all
How about road hunters that scout out areas? It still takes time and effort to know where to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cougarbart

• Scout
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
I would ask is road hunting not the most used method of scouting?

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
To each their own.  Whatever works for you to fill your tag.  I dont care hiw others hunt, i worry about filling my tag 😀

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »
Who cares, so long as they are courteous, respectful, and law abiding?

They are out in the woods, supporting the sport and conservation efforts, and are not hurting anyone.

I see no point in creating differences amongst ourselves.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
:tup:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 03:07:17 PM »
Shooting a deer or any animal out of a vehicle is completely disrespectful. You should give any quarry you hunt a fair shot at keeping it's life. That's why it's called "hunting." Shooting deer off of a road disgust me and I think it's pathetic unless elderly or handicapped.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
Shooting a deer or any animal out of a vehicle is completely disrespectful. You should give any quarry you hunt a fair shot at keeping it's life. That's why it's called "hunting." Shooting deer off of a road disgust me and I think it's pathetic unless elderly or handicapped.

I would argue that shooting a deer over a big pile of bait is less sporting then road hunting then....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal