collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reloading systems  (Read 4063 times)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Reloading systems
« on: October 28, 2016, 06:24:29 AM »
Ok my son is looking into getting set up to reload . He wants to be able to load both pistol and rifle . looking for the best all around system . Hornady rcbs ? help us make the right choice here . the cost isn't the factor within reason .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Reloading systems
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:36:19 AM »
I was thinking about the hornady lock and load iron press system ?
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Smokeploe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: FTE, shooterforum
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:38:13 AM »
Coachcw
You can get a rcbs reloading rock chucked kit for about $300.  I have used rcbs for about 30 years, no major problems, other than when I mess up.  The warranty on rcbs is probably about the best in the business. One of my custom dies got messed up I sent it in with a letter explaining what happened, they replaced no charge, the die was 25 years old.  I do mostly wildcat stuff so I have to form my cases so my equipment really get put thru the ringer.  You can't really go wrong with RCBS.  Everybody here and elsewhere has there favorite presses and stuff, you have to go with what you think is best and basically stay with a name brand, they are all good and well built.
Also if you need help just holler and you will get all the help you need, the guy here are some of the best.

Smokeploe
Smokeploe

When guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns!
The same with ammo!
The same with personal liberties

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:28 AM »
Dillon 650xl is my next purchase.  I'm sure they will all work but if you want the best.....go blue.

Offline one shot kill

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: IBEW 77
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:53:48 AM »
Dillon is good but complicated and can be a pain to setup.My neighbor has one and he uses it only for bulk ammo like 223 and 9mm. For precision stuff he goes back to his RCBS. I have tried the lock n load and am not a fan. i was loading ammo for my 300 win and i could watch the die move with each stroke of the press. It did not move much but I wanted accuracy and consistency and couldnt see getting it with that. I have been very happy with the 3 RCBS presses I have now.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 07:26:30 AM »
The best all around is a single stage.  The best for volume's of excellent ammo is a Dillon 650 (without going to a Dillon 1050).  All the serious reloaders I know own both though.

The LNL is a lesson in frustration, it constantly needs adjusting, it never holds its settings loading large volume's.  I have owned both the LNL and 650 btw.  The Hornady warranty isn't near as good as the Dillon and the Dillon can be resold at nearly the same price you paid for it a couple years down the road or possibly for even more money as prices go up.   

A cheaper way to get set up with the 650 is to buy it initially without the case feeder, you will save some money at first and can always add it latter.  The 550 may be tempting but it is a squib maker (Pistol), especially for someone who is new to reloading.   

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
Start where everyone else does, with a single stage press. A Rock Chucker kit is a great way to go, add a powder trickler to it and you're pretty well set. You can add a case trimmer and other stuff later but he'll have what he needs to get going. I do admit, large batch reloading sucks using a single stage press. After about the first 100 rounds of a 500 round batch of your flavor of pistol round or .223 the fun factor drops significantly. It's a trade off to being able to fine tune loads though, because I'd hate to fight using a progressive press using older stick powders like IMR7828 that meter terribly and getting them in the +-.1 grain area for hunting loads.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 07:37:26 AM »
Sounds like you're going to need 2 setups, coach.

Dillon 650xl is my next purchase.  I'm sure they will all work but if you want the best.....go blue.

I thought about this, but then couldn't talk myself into it as I would really only be loading a few rifle cartridges at a time now and then. This seems overly complicated for something like that, not to mention the price.  I'm assuming these are more intended for loading pistol ammo or .223 or that type where you're going to be doing more plinking.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 07:42:05 AM »
Start where everyone else does, with a single stage press. A Rock Chucker kit is a great way to go, add a powder trickler to it and you're pretty well set. You can add a case trimmer and other stuff later but he'll have what he needs to get going. I do admit, large batch reloading sucks using a single stage press. After about the first 100 rounds of a 500 round batch of your flavor of pistol round or .223 the fun factor drops significantly. It's a trade off to being able to fine tune loads though, because I'd hate to fight using a progressive press using older stick powders like IMR7828 that meter terribly and getting them in the +-.1 grain area for hunting loads.
I second, the start on a single stage. A progressive press can be a little complicated and busy, for a personal just starting to learn reloading. Plus if you, decide reloading is not your thing, you only spent 300+ dollars instead of a 1000. A nice compromise between a single stage and progressive  would be a turret press. JMTCW
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:48:38 AM by Hilltop123 »

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »
I started with a Lee Turret press since I was reloading for both rifle and pistol. I take the auto indexing out when reloading rifle and use it like a single stage press. It has treated me well so far. I've been reloading just under a year.

Offline yakimarcher

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »
I have a $30 dollar lee press, and it works but it's not great! When I feel like spending more money on reloading toys I plan on buying an RCBS partner press, around $65 bucks. I tried to pieced together all my stuff off ebay, but found that everything sells for around 85% of what it costs new, so I mostly bought new tools. I like Hornady. This RCBS kit looks like a great deal!

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading/dp/B00T9YKW60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477667483&sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+kit

but it doesn't include a case trimmer or a case tumbler. I have a frankford arsenal tumbler and a hornady lock-n-load case trimmer, and I like them both. They both had great reviews on amazon and were economical.

Lee has a cheap kit, but all the accessories are junk according to amazon reviews.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
Go with a manual kit in the beginning.  The RCBS rockchucker kit is a good one to start with.   I still use mine and have 2 rockchucker presses.  Also have two Dillons.  What I'm loading determines which system I use. 

I've been reloading since 1966 so have used a bunch of different presses.  RCBS is about the best for single stage.  I prefer Redding for single stage dies,   Dillon for progressive presses.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 11:38:53 AM »
Sounds like you're going to need 2 setups, coach.

I thought about this, but then couldn't talk myself into it as I would really only be loading a few rifle cartridges at a time now and then. This seems overly complicated for something like that, not to mention the price.  I'm assuming these are more intended for loading pistol ammo or .223 or that type where you're going to be doing more plinking.

I am buying it for bulk pistol and rifle....and will stick with my rcbs for my hunting rifles.  With that said I have head they do really well with hunting rounds as well. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:42:19 PM by jrebel »

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »
You poked the hornets nest for sure.  Asking for a reloading press recommendation is like asking Ford/Chevy.  Each group are pretty Rabid in their views with little flexibility. :brew:

Hornady LnL and the Dillons are great units.  Each has pro's and cons, both produce incredible rounds.  I have heard people that have had issues with both and peole that have never had a single problem with both.  One thing you need to do is add up the pricing.  The ALL IN pricing for what you plan to do now and could forsee doing long term.  How you load now also is a factor in which may be a smoother transition.

I started with a Lee Pro 1000, sold it within 2 months and went to Lee Loadmaster for the extra stations and ran that for a few years.  A year ago I got to use a friends LnL and bought one within a month and sold my Lee.  Lee's work, but they can be cantankerous and tend to need adjustments.  But if you are on a tight budget, they do offer quote a bit of bang for the buck and work well if you are not trying to crank out thousands of rounds every day.  They can get you started, and the sooner you start saving $/rnd, the sooner you save up and buy that better unit.

The LnL I bought the entry level version without case& bullet feeders.  In terms of price that is the next step up from the Lee's and the LnL is a great unit.  Mine has been smooth running and a real pleasure to load with.  It is a huge step up from the Loadmaster in terms of operation.  I greatly enjoy and make use of the individual locking lug setup for the dies,it is hands down my favorite feature of the press.  You can set your dies that 1st time and never have to set or adjust them again.  Switching out calibers just twist and pull out the dies and put next set in.  Swap the shell plate and you are off and running.  I buy a set of lugs with every new set of dies I purchase, set the dies up that 21st time and am done.  I always double check by making a empty sample round, but have not had to adjust the dies when converting calibers yet.  You can do the same with Turrets for Lee or Heads for Dillon, but what makes the LnL nice is each die is it's own piece.  I find this very useful if I need to only do a single process on some brass as I just put that one die in the press and start cycling brass thru, it runs just like a single stage without having to mess with any other dies or remove a die from a head and have to reset it.  That can help with familiarity if you are coming from a single stage.

The Dillons are solid units and I have seen them in operation but never used one to be able to really speak to them.  They can be more $ upfront, but also come with extra options for that cost (case feeder, etc come standard).  I believe the cost of the LnL vs Dillo 650 are roughly the same or at least very close if you compare with same features.  Caliber change outs might be a hair more for the dillon, but not by very much from what I recall.  If you want to go "all in" to the full blown Ammo plant with automated case and bullet feeders, I think the dillon may be a hair cheaper than LnL in full blown format.

I would highly recommend you find some people you know that own them and ask if you can take a look at their press and try it out.  Have them run you thru reloading some rounds, what issues and tweaks they have done, etc so you can get hands on and that will tell you more than any of us blathering at you will.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
Go with single stage.  You will never get rid of it.  The Lee Classic cast is inexpensive and solid, as are most cast iron single stages. 

If I were to go with a kit - which I would recommend after piecing together my own - I would go with the RCBS Rockchucker, since that is what all retail stores seem to carry at the least.  Sucks to have to wait for UPS to deliver a small chotchky just to proceed on a reloading project.

Lee die sets are an excellent value.  You don't have to pay the name brand premium, if you are not match shooting, and perhaps even if you are.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:34 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]