collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ...Now, I get it.  (Read 2053 times)

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
...Now, I get it.
« on: October 28, 2016, 06:08:45 PM »
I gotta give it to you modern guys.

Last season(my first), I hunted Archery. This year I got a Multi-Season, but have been pretty set on holding onto it until after MF season is over. During Archery season I was fortunate enough to be into deer everyday. I would typically see at least one buck every day I went out(they weren't always close), and seen a ton of does... I mean tons. Now that MF season is in, I have seen a grand total of 1(ONE) deer since season started... and that was back on opening weekend, and that was a doe. I thought going into this, it wouldn't be supremely difficult seeing as I've always had good luck finding deer before... but man, I get why some people who only hunt modern complain about seeing no deer.

Since this is my first year hunting MF, have their patterns(does) changed at all? Is it just a pressure thing? I know I'm either in the wrong place, at the wrong time, or both. I've still got tomorrow and Sunday to make a connection, but I can't say I'm feeling too confident. Its a totally different game out there! At least, thats what it feels like.

Offline Ghunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: ...Now, I get it.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:13:11 PM »
 :yeah:
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:04:08 PM »
I'm with ya buddy!  No joy in this house tonight. I haven't seen a doe for a week.

I'd suggest you go to where you saw does during the early season.  The weather is still pretty mild, so they might be in the same area, or possibly moved to a more southerly facing slope.  If you can find does and they still have the fawns with them, keep moving.  If you find fawns without mom, she is likely close by, but out looking for a date.  Sit tight once you find the does and watch them.  Their moving ears will show you which direction the buck is coming from when he is close.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline buggy

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:43:21 AM »
  :yeah: find the does and watch them. I usually see alot more deer during archery also. I think their patterns change but a big factor I've noticed is the change of their coats. They're much easier to spot in their summer coat.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
Sit tight once you find the does and watch them.  Their moving ears will show you which direction the buck is coming from when he is close.

Yes they do!  I like to not disturb does or fawns getting in and out of my blinds/stands for exactly this reason.  I always assume that a mature buck is just inside cover watching them until he feels it is safe to come in.  Pre-rut, that usually means after the other deer have wandered off, during the rut they come in when the does are in the feeding areas, but in either the ears are my first indication a deer I haven't yet spotted is coming in. 

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 10:06:25 AM »
Hunting pressure, weather, feed and a whole host of things change deer patterns.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »
yeah JD, and when in a sloped clear cut, my observation is if you find does that the buck is up above them.  He like to look down toward them.  They don't seem to like to look up the slope as much as down.   :dunno: 

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:21:51 AM »
Weather , and hunting pressure I believe are the two biggest things that affect blacktails from archery to modern seasons. Archery they are easily seen compared to modern when they have been hunted for two seasons. Nastier the weather for modern the better, plus later in season the rut is kicking in. If modern is sunny and warm it's tough hunting the timber ghosts. Snow is great, but can really limit the areas to hunt if it piles up fast. Loved hunting blacklies by trailing fresh tracks.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline MLhunter1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
Deer become much more cautious once a bunch of guys dressed in orange show up.  Seems to last until Jan or Feb before they feel comfortable again to move about in daylight hours.  Rut will make em dumb for a bit though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]