collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Double Decatur success  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
Double Decatur success
« on: October 29, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »
After exchanging a few PMs with Lokidog.  My son and I met Ed Thursday afternoon for the 30 minute boat ride to our hunting grounds.
Big thanks to both Lokidog and Weathergirl for invited my son and I into the home.  Lokidog also was our guide to hunt on his home island, Decatur. 
We actually got in a couple hours of hunting Thursday evening. Nothing.  After shooting hours we collected SD cards from trail cams.  Saw some nice shooters and the infamous doe, one ear.  :chuckle:
Friday morning I was put into a promising blind. Bucks on camera within the last week.  My son, Tristan went to another area with Ed.  I got the text shortly after 9a. Tristan got a nice forkie.  They had seen several deer, but no shots until the buck.  He was almost head on at 55 yards.  Well the first shot was a bit high and right from a standing position.  The buck dropped, but appeared to be back up.  3 shots later, miss, blew off lower jaw and finally a neck shot.  The first shot broke his back.  Tristan was shooting our H&R 20ga slug gun. 
Afternoon stand, saw 3 does but zero shot opportunities.
At my evening stand, nothing. 
This morning we decided to walk about.  A little after an hour, Lokidog said. Let's sit on this rock, we have a good view. Not 5 minutes later this buck tried to sneak by us at 20 yards. He disappeared until he came back into view at about 60 yards. Luckily my son had just pulled out the rattling sheds. Ed gave it a quick hit and the buck stopped quartering away. BOOM! I saw him hunch up.  I knew he was a shooter, but wasn't sure how many points he had. He went into some thick stuff and we waited 10 minutes.
We went to where he was when I shot. Zero blood, but I know these Remington Copper Solid slugs go thru and thru and don't leave much blood (thinking to try a new type of slug). We heard some movement inside the thick stuff. So I went around to a vantage point to see an escaping buck. After awhile my son heard more noises and starting inside the thick stuff after 20 more minutes. 
A couple whistles exchanged to confirm each others location, then Here!   Buck down. A tall spike with a funky extra off the back.  He only we about 40 yards. My shot was a bit back, but destroyed the liver.
In hindsight it the scope may have been bumped since both of us hit to the right. Maybe coincidence  :dunno:

Overall we had a great time. Great host and harvesting two blacktail bucks. 

I must say that Tristan (13) is asking about hunting in the mountains next year  8)

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Double Decatur success
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:05:17 PM »
Sweet!
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Shrimper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 11:08:16 PM »
Nick Bucks...

That is a big spike, almost shot 4x1 piebald years ago on Orcas but decided it needed to live.
"Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell ’em, ’Certainly I can!’ Then get busy and find out how to do it."

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:20:30 PM »
 :tup:

Nick Bucks...

That is a big spike, almost shot 4x1 piebald years ago on Orcas but decided it needed to live.

I'd shoot one of the piebalds here in a minute....   :hello:

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 05:41:08 AM »
Outstanding!    Gotta love filling both tags on the same day!  :tup:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
Outstanding!    Gotta love filling both tags on the same day!  :tup:

Actually 24 hours apart, almost to the minute.   :)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 10:20:25 AM »
Nice bucks guys.  :tup:

Love the spikes little kicker.   :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »
Nice work!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 10:15:12 PM »
Way to go.  Sounds like a great weekend.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal