collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Feral chickens?  (Read 19365 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: Feral chickens?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »
Chances are it's an old bird that would be so tough you'd need to cook it all day in a crock pot to soften it up a bit to make it edible and you'd probably still risk breaking a tooth.  :)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »
Feral hamsters are a thing? Wow, cool. Carry on.

Yes they can be! I caught one once at my uncles house which they had been living in for years, it was chewing holes in the garage Sheetrock walls.  :yike:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2016, 04:12:24 PM »
 :bdid: I shot two on the island that some one dumped. They were big but after skinning them no breast meat.  :'(
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »
I'm with Curly.  If you've ever been to Kauai, there's feral chickens EVERYWHERE.  I've asked a couple locals if they've ever tried eating one and they all give you the "Mr. Yuck" face.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline TONTO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
 I'm not saying I have a kill them all attitude, but the OP was about legality. If the chicken is clearly abandonded, or feral, on public land then yes it is legal to shoot.  Then again I have also been known to shoot x-bred park ducks that deke in too. My brother once shot a rabit way out in the middle of no where, said it was big :rolleyes:, it ran up under some brush and was making a squeel any predator caller would be proud of. I crawled up under the brush to get it, and it turned out to be a lop eared bunny, not a proud moment finnishing it off, no idea where it came from or how it got there, but I am kinda glad we killed it. Oven roasted with some BBQ suace, it was delicious.

Offline note2self

• Pilgrim
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
Man must be the election or something all kinds of craziness going on.

If you see a cow along side the road are you going to blast it? COME ON PEOPLE!!! If it's not yours leave it alone!!!

THEIFT of livestock which a chicken is livestock, is a class c felony.
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.083

Chickens aren't livestock.

(1) Every person who, with intent to sell or exchange and to deprive or defraud the lawful owner thereof, willfully takes, leads, or transports away, conceals, withholds, slaughters, or otherwise appropriates any horse, mule, cow, heifer, bull, steer, swine, goat, or sheep is guilty of theft of livestock in the first degree.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=16.57.010

(9) "Livestock" includes, but is not limited to, horses, mules, cattle, sheep, swine, and goats.

:chuckle: I am so done with this  :chuckle:

You missed this part, at the beginning of where you pulled the definition:

RCW 16.57.010
Definitions.
The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.

You can't pull a definition from one chapter and apply it to a totally different chapter. :dunno:

Theft of livestock is chapter 9, you are quoting chapter 16.  Chapter 9 clearly calls out what is considered livestock and chickens ain't in the list.  It could be a felony, so they aren't going to leave it up to "but not limited to" and have someone get a felony for ripping off a hamster.

Interesting......I was kind of thinking the same thing. I found it hard to believe that shooting a random chicken in the middle of no where (and yes there are no homes even close to nearby) would result in a felony and it was as straightforward as that. This clears up some of the legality confusion I had thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
Bet it was a rooster some urbanite couldn't keep due to crowing.  There's an awful lot of people around here that'll dump unwanted animals/birds in the woods and along the local rivers.  They pretend they're doing the animal a favor by setting it free.

Get a load of what the damnable fools in my neighborhood are advocating on the Nextdoor website: 

~One more thing, if you don't have dogs who eat cats, you can get ferill cats from the humane society. You just have to make them a little 'cat house' -and feed them for a few weeks to keep them from running away. They are great rodent killers!

They got a little testy when I responded with this question:  Let me ask you this: Do you also advocate for dumping used motor oil down the storm drain in order to control mosquitoes?

What kind of a mentality must you have to advocate for turning out feral cats into a neighborhood allowing them to kill what is left of the native song bird population?

Ever heard the term "mouser?"
My inlaws have several mouser cats living in their barn. A critical shortage of mice and a great population of mountain bluebirds.
:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 05:04:04 PM »
Feral hamsters are a thing? Wow, cool. Carry on.

Awestruck. I had no idea.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline note2self

• Pilgrim
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
My wife, who had been enlisted to help catch said steer, was the #1 advocate for shooting it.  At one point she was yelling at me to "just shoot the f*(#)*$*# thing!"

Funny how that works. My gf was the one who kept giving me *censored* because I didn't shoot the chicken. Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »
Right after you shoot the chicken, some kid steps on the road crying that you killed their pet chicken out for a walk.
 :peep: :peep: :peep: :lol4: :stirthepot:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »
Bet it was a rooster some urbanite couldn't keep due to crowing.  There's an awful lot of people around here that'll dump unwanted animals/birds in the woods and along the local rivers.  They pretend they're doing the animal a favor by setting it free.

Get a load of what the damnable fools in my neighborhood are advocating on the Nextdoor website: 

~One more thing, if you don't have dogs who eat cats, you can get ferill cats from the humane society. You just have to make them a little 'cat house' -and feed them for a few weeks to keep them from running away. They are great rodent killers!

They got a little testy when I responded with this question:  Let me ask you this: Do you also advocate for dumping used motor oil down the storm drain in order to control mosquitoes?

What kind of a mentality must you have to advocate for turning out feral cats into a neighborhood allowing them to kill what is left of the native song bird population?

Ever heard the term "mouser?"
My inlaws have several mouser cats living in their barn. A critical shortage of mice and a great population of mountain bluebirds.
:dunno:

Releasing feral cats into an urban environment is something entirely different than having a barn cat that lives in and around a barn, hay shed or granaries. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
Well you didn't mention that.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10